Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Children in support of PPDs

Re: Children in support of PPDs

• Options
    @a13049
    Agreed. Many Colleges will send out Diplomas and let students walk at their Commencement Ceremony. 

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Options

a13049 said:

CMGragain said:

PPDs are incredibly self centered.  ME!  ME!  ME!  I WANT MY DAY!  I WANT EVERYBODY TO LOOK AT ME IN MY PRINCESS DRESS AND ENVY ME!  I DESERVE TO HAVE IT!

What other reason can you have for spending thousands of dollars on a fake ceremony (Very offensive to religious people.) and being the center of attention?

I'm religious... It's not offensive to me. Someone can get legally married and still feel strongly about their vows and their religion at their "PPD".

If the religious aspect was that important to them, they would wait and have ONE legally and spiritually binding ceremony. They wouldn't do a quickie legal wedding for the benefits.

--------------

Religion isn't one size fits all so this statement may be true for you, but not for everyone who chooses to seperate their legal and religious ceremony. I can see why you might think a pod is unnecessary and I can see you thinki the reasons for someone having a PPD as being stupid. But the PPD (as long as they aren't lieing) isn't offensive. AWish, probably, but you could say that about a majority of weddings. Whether we want to admit it or not.

I have been to a handful of PpD, for a variety of reasons. They never lied to me and I was hosted properly while sharing something important with someone I cared about. If you don't agree with a ppd (and you aren't being lied to) you have the choice to not attend, because as it's frequently mentioned here an invitation is not a subpena. Again, I think lying is wrong and that is a whole different story.
  • Options

There are all sorts of reasons why someone would NEED to get legally married (for instance, severe medical issues and the need for insurance, or significant other about to be deployed overseas, etc.)

This does not mean that the ceremony they have afterwards is somehow "fake"...religious or not, it still holds a deep spiritual and personal meaning. To many people, the ceremony they have later with the customs and traditions they hold dear, is the true wedding. To me, it seems incredibly rude to call it a "PPD" (which is a childish term altogether), just because someone felt the need to get legally married before holding their much more meaningful ceremony.

Yes, if someone does this just for gift-grabbing, that's an entirely different story. Please don't lump the two situations together and call it the same idiotic name. Life is not always black and white, there's such a thing as (gasp!) extenuating circumstances that are much more important than whatever outdated notions of etiquette other people may embrace. Whatever celebration is most near and dear to people's hearts, not the one that gets them a stamped piece of paper, is the one they get to call their wedding.

This is why I mostly keep to Wedding Wire forums. They are way less judgmental. Don't you see that you are much more rude than the people you are so quick to judge?

• Options
    edited April 2014

And if for whatever reason you want your family and friends who are out of town to attend the celebration, or if you want the wedding to incorporate certain meaningful aspects that may not be thrown together at the last minute, etc, etc, then you're stuck. Because apparently if you want any of that, you have to say that you're having a "PRETTY PRINCESS DAY" because that's what the judgmental people who think it's all black and white call it. How about you get off the high horse and call it a wedding celebration (yeah, that's what it is - you are celebrating the couple getting married!), instead of the insulting name you keep using?

Seriously, if you care more about when the couple signed the paperwork, rather than celebrating their love with them, you have no business attending their wedding anyway.

afox007 said:

There are all sorts of reasons why someone would NEED to get legally married (for instance, severe medical issues and the need for insurance, or significant other about to be deployed overseas, etc.)

This does not mean that the ceremony they have afterwards is somehow "fake"...religious or not, it still holds a deep spiritual and personal meaning. To many people, the ceremony they have later with the customs and traditions they hold dear, is the true wedding. To me, it seems incredibly rude to call it a "PPD" (which is a childish term altogether), just because someone felt the need to get legally married before holding their much more meaningful ceremony.

Yes, if someone does this just for gift-grabbing, that's an entirely different story. Please don't lump the two situations together and call it the same idiotic name. Life is not always black and white, there's such a thing as (gasp!) extenuating circumstances that are much more important than whatever outdated notions of etiquette other people may embrace. Whatever celebration is most near and dear to people's hearts, not the one that gets them a stamped piece of paper, is the one they get to call their wedding.

This is why I mostly keep to Wedding Wire forums. They are way less judgmental. Don't you see that you are much more rude than the people you are so quick to judge?

I will give you te same answer I gave my FSS when he said I would feel differently if his dad I had to get married ASAP. I would buy an awesome, but inexpensive dress off the rack, find a JOP to meet us at a park/on the beach, call up our VIP list to invite them, pick up some safeway flowers, and make reservations for us all at a nice resturaunt that I would pay for. Would it be the big wedding I always wanted? No. Would I be married to the love of my life in the company of our closest friends as family? Yes. It is 100% possible to have your cake and eat it without a PPD.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    jdluvr06 said:

If you are already married and you have a wedding then yes it is a fake wedding

Well, you obviously missed the entire point of my post. Are things in your black-and-white world always so clear cut? I envy you.
  • Options
    CheleLyn said:
    To those who don't see the big deal about a PPD...Have you ever been to a PPD and been LIED to about it?

I've told this story before...

When my ex-husband's middle daughter was engaged, her fiance joined the army. He went to basic training then headed off to AIT. She and her mother went to his graduation from AIT. Several months later, daddy gave her away at a lovely wedding at her family church. She had the pretty dress, he was in uniform, there was a good sized bridal party with flower girls and ring bearer. Daddy was emotional at giving away one of daughters for the first wedding of one of his kids.

Imagine our surprise when it slips out of someone's mouth almost a YEAR LATER that the bride and groom were already married after he graduated from AIT with her mother's blessing! WHY? Just to get the military paperwork started. They claim that they weren't "really married" until they had there church ceremony and the blessing of their pastor. 

Her dad was VERY hurt that #1 he wasn't made aware of the situation, and #2 he wasn't really giving away his daughter because SHE WAS ALREADY MARRIED!!! I was very disappointed in the B&G for lying to damn near everyone and I KNOW there are people who still don;t know the truth.

PPDs are almost always based on lies and cause hurt feelings. If you are old enough to legally sign that paper with the JOP then you are old enough to accept THAT as your wedding...after all, you are legally married. Everything else is just for show.

edited for clarity

That's terribo!

Sometimes it's the people who justify their PPD because of military service that REALLY bites me in the britches.  Every time I see a PPD post I think of my parents.  They actually have two legitimate anniversaries.

My dad was in the service stationed overseas when he met my mom.  They got married by the Navy Chaplin on Nov. 2 & married at city hall in my mom's home town on Nov. 4.  No dress, no cake, no guests.  They simply wanted their union to be recognized by their respective governments.  Because that's marriage.
  • Options
    afox007 said:

I will give you te same answer I gave my FSS when he said I would feel differently if his dad I had to get married ASAP. I would buy an awesome, but inexpensive dress off the rack, find a JOP to meet us at a park/on the beach, call up our VIP list to invite them, pick up some safeway flowers, and make reservations for us all at a nice resturaunt that I would pay for.

Would it be the big wedding I always wanted? No. Would I be married to the love of my life in the company of our closest friends as family? Yes. It is 100% possible to have your cake and eat it without a PPD.

Congratulations, that's what you would choose to do in a difficult situation. That doesn't mean it is the only option or the right option.
  • Options

And if for whatever reason you want your family and friends who are out of town to attend the celebration, or if you want the wedding to incorporate certain meaningful aspects that may not be thrown together at the last minute, etc, etc, then you're stuck. Because apparently if you want any of that, you have to say that you're having a "PRETTY PRINCESS DAY" because that's what the judgmental people who think it's all black and white call it. How about you get off the high horse and call it a wedding celebration (yeah, that's what it is - you are celebrating the couple getting married!), instead of the insulting name you keep using?

Seriously, if you care more about when the couple signed the paperwork, rather than celebrating their love with them, you have no business attending their wedding anyway.

afox007 said:

I will give you te same answer I gave my FSS when he said I would feel differently if his dad I had to get married ASAP. I would buy an awesome, but inexpensive dress off the rack, find a JOP to meet us at a park/on the beach, call up our VIP list to invite them, pick up some safeway flowers, and make reservations for us all at a nice resturaunt that I would pay for. Would it be the big wedding I always wanted? No. Would I be married to the love of my life in the company of our closest friends as family? Yes. It is 100% possible to have your cake and eat it without a PPD.

But by signing the paperwork you are MARRIED. I would be okay with being invited to a celebration of their marriage (which began when the papers were signed) but do not tell me that your signing the paperwork doesn't count. My parents would have loved to have their families with them for their wedding day but due to outside issues that was not possible, yet their courthouse marriage is still valid over 25 years later.
  • Options
    mobkaz said:
    a13049 said:
    a13049 said:
    PPDs are incredibly self centered.  ME!  ME!  ME!  I WANT MY DAY!  I WANT EVERYBODY TO LOOK AT ME IN MY PRINCESS DRESS AND ENVY ME!  I DESERVE TO HAVE IT!

What other reason can you have for spending thousands of dollars on a fake ceremony (Very offensive to religious people.) and being the center of attention?
    I'm religious... It's not offensive to me. Someone can get legally married and still feel strongly about their vows and their religion at their "PPD".
    If the religious aspect was that important to them, they would wait and have ONE legally and spiritually binding ceremony. They wouldn't do a quickie legal wedding for the benefits.
    -------------- Religion isn't one size fits all so this statement may be true for you, but not for everyone who chooses to seperate their legal and religious ceremony. I can see why you might think a pod is unnecessary and I can see you thinki the reasons for someone having a PPD as being stupid. But the PPD (as long as they aren't lieing) isn't offensive. AWish, probably, but you could say that about a majority of weddings. Whether we want to admit it or not. I have been to a handful of PpD, for a variety of reasons. They never lied to me and I was hosted properly while sharing something important with someone I cared about. If you don't agree with a ppd (and you aren't being lied to) you have the choice to not attend, because as it's frequently mentioned here an invitation is not a subpena. Again, I think lying is wrong and that is a whole different story.
    You will find many brides on this forum who absolutely distinguish between knowing the truth and being lied to in relation to PPD's.  Those guests are able to make an informed decision as to whether they attend such an event.  (For the record, it IS an event and not a wedding.)

However, in the case of MRS. Everhart and others, they are going OUT OF THEIR WAY in their charade by continuing to refer to their SPOUSE as their "FI" all the while collecting government benefits only afforded to married people.  The lies and hypocrisy are beyond disgusting.  To have supposed dear friends and family spends HUNDREDS of dollars attending a destination event, all the time being misled they are attending a wedding, is unconscionable.

That is what lies behind the uproar on the boards regarding PPDs.

Ok, I think the point of this was that the "real wedding" (read: paperwork) is more important than the "event" (actual celebration). If you are coming to an "event", as you term it, for someone you truly care about, you wouldn't care if they signed the paperwork a month before. If you do, you either don't care about them, or you need to get your values reassessed.

Would you be this snobbish if you attended a birthday celebration for someone who is hosting it the week after their actual birthday? You wouldn't say they're having a PPD, right? Even though it's not really the anniversary of their expulsion from the womb.

People, check your inner snob at the door, and just enjoy it!

• Options
    mobkaz said:
    a13049 said:
    a13049 said:

-------------- Religion isn't one size fits all so this statement may be true for you, but not for everyone who chooses to seperate their legal and religious ceremony. I can see why you might think a pod is unnecessary and I can see you thinki the reasons for someone having a PPD as being stupid. But the PPD (as long as they aren't lieing) isn't offensive. AWish, probably, but you could say that about a majority of weddings. Whether we want to admit it or not. I have been to a handful of PpD, for a variety of reasons. They never lied to me and I was hosted properly while sharing something important with someone I cared about. If you don't agree with a ppd (and you aren't being lied to) you have the choice to not attend, because as it's frequently mentioned here an invitation is not a subpena. Again, I think lying is wrong and that is a whole different story.
    You will find many brides on this forum who absolutely distinguish between knowing the truth and being lied to in relation to PPD's.  Those guests are able to make an informed decision as to whether they attend such an event.  (For the record, it IS an event and not a wedding.)

However, in the case of MRS. Everhart and others, they are going OUT OF THEIR WAY in their charade by continuing to refer to their SPOUSE as their "FI" all the while collecting government benefits only afforded to married people.  The lies and hypocrisy are beyond disgusting.  To have supposed dear friends and family spends HUNDREDS of dollars attending a destination event, all the time being misled they are attending a wedding, is unconscionable.

That is what lies behind the uproar on the boards regarding PPDs.

Ok, I think the point of this was that the "real wedding" (read: paperwork) is more important than the "event" (actual celebration). If you are coming to an "event", as you term it, for someone you truly care about, you wouldn't care if they signed the paperwork a month before. If you do, you either don't care about them, or you need to get your values reassessed.

Would you be this snobbish if you attended a birthday celebration for someone who is hosting it the week after their actual birthday? You wouldn't say they're having a PPD, right? Even though it's not really the anniversary of their expulsion from the womb.

People, check your inner snob at the door, and just enjoy it!

Check your reading comprehension.  Yes, the real wedding, which is the ONLY wedding, is the important component.  And perhaps, I would not care about whether someone was legally wed (I find it personally reprehensible to refer to the marriage ceremony as "paperwork") and hosted a celebration of THAT wedding at a later date.  The point, and difference, is KNOWING that the couple is already married.  

The ones needing to reassess their values are those married women who deliberately and thoughtfully LIE to their supposed nearest and dearest simply to have an egofest.  And yes, I absolutely and truly care if someone goes out of their way to lie to me.  And in that case, I absolutely would no longer care about them, as they clearly showed me no respect.
  • Options
    afox007 said:
    In less than a week I have had to explain the flaws in a PPD to children twice. On Easter my younger sister was going on about how as soon as she turns 18 her and her bf are gonna run off and get married, but wait a few years to have a wedding when they're older and our family will support it. After first explaining why getting married at 18 was a bad plan I had to explain how rude PPDs are. Then last night I was watching 4 weddings and was bitching at the tv since one of the "brides" was having a PPD. FSS tried defending her since everyone deserves a wedding. I rolled my eyes, but ignored it since he was young. He went on a rant about how I wouldn't be saying that if his dad and I had to get married ASAP and I didn't get a real wedding. I think if we want to eliminate the special snowflake mentality we need to start when they are little.
    My mom taught me from a very young age how awful fake weddings were.  She would often tell me the story of a "wedding" my pastor grandfather officiated.  The couple INSISTED they HAD to be married on a particular day.  He wasn't available, as that was his yearly family vacation. But they were adamant.  It HAD to be that day.  Wanting to please his church members, he cancelled the family vacation and booked the wedding.  The day came and the ceremony passed without incident.  After the ceremony, he and the couple went into his office to sign the license.  That's when he learned they'd actually been married the year before on that date and THAT's why the date was so important, so that they wouldn't have to remember two dates the rest of their lives.  I don't know if the couple's families ever found out it was a fake wedding, but the officiant's family sure remembered it forever! So hearing that story from an early age, I knew it would be the one thing I could do that my mom would never forgive me for.
  • Options
    I got bashed for telling a bride not to wear her wedding dress for her celebration party, over on invitations last week.  Lots of newbies told the married lady to go ahead and wear her wedding dress for her celebration party.  Where were you guys when I needed you?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    afox007 said:
    In less than a week I have had to explain the flaws in a PPD to children twice. On Easter my younger sister was going on about how as soon as she turns 18 her and her bf are gonna run off and get married, but wait a few years to have a wedding when they're older and our family will support it. After first explaining why getting married at 18 was a bad plan I had to explain how rude PPDs are. Then last night I was watching 4 weddings and was bitching at the tv since one of the "brides" was having a PPD. FSS tried defending her since everyone deserves a wedding. I rolled my eyes, but ignored it since he was young. He went on a rant about how I wouldn't be saying that if his dad and I had to get married ASAP and I didn't get a real wedding. I think if we want to eliminate the special snowflake mentality we need to start when they are little.
    My mom taught me from a very young age how awful fake weddings were.  She would often tell me the story of a "wedding" my pastor grandfather officiated.  The couple INSISTED they HAD to be married on a particular day.  He wasn't available, as that was his yearly family vacation. But they were adamant.  It HAD to be that day.  Wanting to please his church members, he cancelled the family vacation and booked the wedding.  The day came and the ceremony passed without incident.  After the ceremony, he and the couple went into his office to sign the license.  That's when he learned they'd actually been married the year before on that date and THAT's why the date was so important, so that they wouldn't have to remember two dates the rest of their lives.  I don't know if the couple's families ever found out it was a fake wedding, but the officiant's family sure remembered it forever! So hearing that story from an early age, I knew it would be the one thing I could do that my mom would never forgive me for.

Wait, they lied to their pastor to manipulate him into changing his vacation plans?  Seriously.  That is wrong on so many levels.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FTR I would like to apologize for opening the can of worms! I was more amused by the conversations I got in with my sister and FSS and was happy I at least talked my little sis out of a bad idea.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Not your fault.  We go through this on the Knot every few month when newbies come in and don't understand.  We have to review it every so often.  It doesn't help that the wedding industry and TV shows think it's just precious!  Of course, it is a way for them to make more money $$$$.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    FTR I would like to apologize for opening the can of worms! I was more amused by the conversations I got in with my sister and FSS and was happy I at least talked my little sis out of a bad idea.
    I don't blame you. There's just the same circle debate every time someone brings up PPDs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards