Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR:Graduation Party before the graduation ceremony

2»

Re: NWR:Graduation Party before the graduation ceremony

• Options
    Meh. For me, in HS, college and law school, graduation was only a day or two after finals so it was definitely possible that you could "graduate" and then later find out you didn't pass. I always thought it was weird, but given that context I don't think it's that weird to have a celebration early since waiting until the day of the ceremony still might not actually mean you graduated.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Options
    Seems a mite judgey of you. There could be things going on, or conflicts, or somebody's only gling to be in the area, and so on, on the other side of the family that you might not know about. It's really no big deal.
  • Options
    kitty8403kitty8403 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2014

Okay follow-up question.  How serious are your graduation parties?

In my circle/area, they tend to be open houses that family and friends are invited to. Apps and soda is hosted at the person's house and there are pictures up around the house, sometimes a slideshow playing in the background. Wine/beer hosted for adults/family. 
    Usually cake/punch or informal BBQs for family. It's understood that various friends and fellow grads will pop in and out while making the rounds, since most probably have 2-3 or more other parties going on.
  • Options
    Well we had my high school graduation party before my actual graduation ceremonial but I had already graduated from high school. Is that, is that confusing enough? I got my diploma in December but I actually walked in May and I had my party in January. Party for my AA was done...like a month after graduation (I wasn't going to do one at all, my step-mom surprised me with one), undergrad was right after the ceremony (I think the next day), and PhD was the same night I graduated.

I know for FI we did our undergrad party together, but for her law school graduation, it was after her finals but before her actual ceremony. Just because it was the easiest way to schedule it.

Honestly, most graduation parties I've been to are pretty casual. For HS it's family and some friends, BBQ, cake, and a pool if you have it. College involves a lot more drinking, but still informal. So I wouldn't blink twice at a graduation party before the actual graduation. I'd assume they're on track to graduate.
  • Options
    My parents were able to figure out by asking that my cousin wanted the party early to use the money for his graduation cruise.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Options
    I have zero problem with this. If you don't want to go to both, decline one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards