Chit Chat

So I was invited

2»

Re: So I was invited

• Wait a sec - Are the parents to be not supposed to know the gender of the baby?? Now I'm confused, is that why the sonogram goes directly to the bakery? I thought the gender reveal party was for the parents (who already knew the gender), to reveal it to everyone else?
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• emmaaaemmaaa mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2014

I guess people do it differently. In a lot of cases, it is supposed to be a reveal for everyone, including the parents.

ET: spelling

• pinkcow13 said:
    Wait a sec - Are the parents to be not supposed to know the gender of the baby?? Now I'm confused, is that why the sonogram goes directly to the bakery? I thought the gender reveal party was for the parents (who already knew the gender), to reveal it to everyone else?
    They can find out and surprise everyone else, or they can find out when they cut the cake (or whatever) with everyone around.
  • pinkcow13 said:
    Wait a sec - Are the parents to be not supposed to know the gender of the baby?? Now I'm confused, is that why the sonogram goes directly to the bakery? I thought the gender reveal party was for the parents (who already knew the gender), to reveal it to everyone else?
    They can find out and surprise everyone else, or they can find out when they cut the cake (or whatever) with everyone around.
    But to me that seems so dumb.  OMG we know that we are going to have a girl but we won't tell anyone and make them waste a few hours of their day to gather around our house while we laugh on the inside that we know and they don't and then we will cut a cake or release balloons or spray silly string on everyone to announce the gender.  And no matter what the gender is they will react the same way.  No one really cares that much.

But I would find it hilarious if when the couple announces the gender, say it is a boy, and their party attendees do a collective upset "oh" and then there just be silence.

Simky906
  • I've never attended one.  I swear 90% of my friends never find out the gender under they give birth.  Not one of my siblings found out either.

Had we gotten pregnant we would not have found out either.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • pinkcow13 said:
    But to me that seems so dumb.  OMG we know that we are going to have a girl but we won't tell anyone and make them waste a few hours of their day to gather around our house while we laugh on the inside that we know and they don't and then we will cut a cake or release balloons or spray silly string on everyone to announce the gender.  And no matter what the gender is they will react the same way.  No one really cares that much.

But I would find it hilarious if when the couple announces the gender, say it is a boy, and their party attendees do a collective upset "oh" and then there just be silence.

Exactly.
  • vk2204 said:
    pinkcow13 said:

Exactly.
    Pretty much. I know this girl posted on FB that they were excited about all the trickery and games they've been playing on family, and can't wait to reveal the gender at the party. It's really not that exciting to me.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I just wonder what happens 15-20 years down the road when the transgender announcement must be made. Awkward.
    pinkcow13thisismynickname2
  • AngusaurAngusaur member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited May 2014
    The gender reveal thing is pretty new (well new to being popular anyways). I noticed it started a couple of years ago when bakeries were offering cakes that had pink or blue in the middle. They would coordinate with the ultrasound technician while still keeping it a surprise from the parents.

I really like gender reveals, I think they're cute and fun. But, I would find it strange to make a huge party out of it. If we have another baby I think we'd do a cute gender reveal but I'd keep it to my parents, brothers (if they cared at all) and maybe a close friend or two.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I really wish I had the patience and love for yellow to keep our next baby a surprise. After having a little boy, I would love to have a girl. And yeah I'll be honest, I love all that super girly frilly tutu shit. I would want that and wouldn't want 90% of my baby items to be boring yellow and green and winnie the pooh or some other neutral theme. I LIKE SPARKLES AND IM NOT ASHAMED.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like cake so I'd totally go to one of these. Cake that's fun colors is even more fun. Couldn't care less about the other stuff, but hell yeah, cake.
    This is me reading threads on TK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Gender reveals were really cute when you and your SO took a photo of you releasing pink balloons or something similar

like so:

But parties are just too much. I'm probably going to be super excited when I find out what I'm having too, but I will reveal it like any person two years ago did... by telling people. 
  • arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    A friend of mine is pregnant with her second. When they found out the sex of their baby, they recorded a video of their first born girl telling everyone that she will have a new baby sister. They posted it on Facebook with the title, "A Special Message from <first born name here>.
  • I'm good with any excuse for cake.

I'm an unrepentant cake slut. I'm proud of that.
    KeptInStitchespinkcow13
  • arrippa said:
    A friend of mine is pregnant with her second. When they found out the sex of their baby, they recorded a video of their first born girl telling everyone that she will have a new baby sister. They posted it on Facebook with the title, "A Special Message from <first born name here>.
    That's actually really cute. I feel that I would do something like that (well if I decide to have more than one kid that is lol). Whoever wants to watch the video can, or just skip it. I think a whole party is just a bit much. I saw this on the news yesterday, and it is the sweetest thing ever.

Anniversary
    imageimageimage

emmaaa
  • I would never do a gender reveal party myself, and I've started to see them more on Facebook. How I feel depends on how AWish the happy parents-to-be are being in general.

I've also noticed the parties are really more for immediate family- more intimate than a baby shower.

All that being said, a couple weeks ago I was at a college reunion and one woman's gender reveal party was the next day. She was all, "I'm having a girl. I KNOW I'm having a girl."  The next day her family posted pictures of her and the father opening the box with blue balloons coming out. Her expression was priceless.  So fun.  

To the PP who pointed out it's sex, not gender, point well taken- but surely saying "sex reveal party" just doesn't go over very well, LOL! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards