Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Menus - One for each guest? Just a few per table? Don't even bother?

FI and I have been looking at some nice customizable menus that complement our wedding stationery. It's not a package or anything, we would just order the number that we want. I think it looks nice having them at each place setting (they are just long menu cards, one sheet double sided about 9x3.5"), but I'm a bit worried they would take up space and make the tables look very busy and full, especially when the food arrives and they are moved aside. I don't expect anyone to want to keep them, they will just get thrown out afterwards save a few that we would hold onto. We are choosing a very specific menu, though, and think it may be nice for guests to know what the meal consists of rather than be surprised when the courses arrive. There are no meal choices per guest, per se, but rather if someone has special dietary requirements they will have another meal specially prepared. Both the main entree and vegetarian selection will be listed on the menu. Having worked in the service industry for years, to me a nice menu sets a certain tone for the meal and we want to showcase the fabulous selections that our caterer has provided.

Re: Menus - One for each guest? Just a few per table? Don't even bother?

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I'd make sure each guest has a menu.  Even if someone has a special dietary requirement, they will appreciate knowing that they will be accommodated.  If people put them on the floor or put food on top of them I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    FI and I have been looking at some nice customizable menus that complement our wedding stationery. It's not a package or anything, we would just order the number that we want. I think it looks nice having them at each place setting (they are just long menu cards, one sheet double sided about 9x3.5"), but I'm a bit worried they would take up space and make the tables look very busy and full, especially when the food arrives and they are moved aside. I don't expect anyone to want to keep them, they will just get thrown out afterwards save a few that we would hold onto. We are choosing a very specific menu, though, and think it may be nice for guests to know what the meal consists of rather than be surprised when the courses arrive. There are no meal choices per guest, per se, but rather if someone has special dietary requirements they will have another meal specially prepared. Both the main entree and vegetarian selection will be listed on the menu. Having worked in the service industry for years, to me a nice menu sets a certain tone for the meal and we want to showcase the fabulous selections that our caterer has provided.
    So are you saying that when they get there they will have to let the wait staff know at dinner time that they want the the vegetarian meal or need an allergen free meal?  They cannot do that in advance of the wedding?  In that case you absolutely need menus and to make note that they need to request those things of the event staff.  If you wait till the food is served for people to discover they need/want another option your dinner is going to take forever.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    No, there will be a section on the reply cards for dietary restrictions (vegetarian, vegan, allergies, etc.) and they can fill it in. I know of a few already. The meal we are serving is a steak and chicken duo so, since I already know one guest who does not eat foul, he will have double steak instead. This will all be done in advance so the caterer will know already, as well as which table they are seated at.
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    No, there will be a section on the reply cards for dietary restrictions (vegetarian, vegan, allergies, etc.) and they can fill it in. I know of a few already. The meal we are serving is a steak and chicken duo so, since I already know one guest who does not eat foul, he will have double steak instead. This will all be done in advance so the caterer will know already, as well as which table they are seated at.
    I would still do the menus so people can put in last minute requests if they see a problem with some of the food.  For example maybe someone else won't eat chicken and would like double steak.  They didn't list it on the response card because it's not a true allergy and possibly assumed that since you weren't listing choices there was a buffet and they would be able to pick something they like.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Perfect! I'm glad they will actually be useful to people. There will be so much food available and the staff is so great I'm sure everyone will be happy with their meal. Although, in the interest of being more inclusive, should I suggest dietary "preferences" be listed on the reply card too? Or would that be too much and too ambiguous?
  • Options
    "Preferences" makes me think "well, I don't like asparagus, but I'm not allergic, but I don't like it, so I'll list it here!" and things like that.
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    "Preferences" makes me think "well, I don't like asparagus, but I'm not allergic, but I don't like it, so I'll list it here!" and things like that.
    Me too.  I can't stand pork.  Let me amend that I LOVE bacon and sausage but other preparations of pork are just plain gross to me.  It's not a religious or health issue, it's a gross issue.  Gross to the point that the smell sometimes makes me want to hurl.   So if you ask for restrictions I wouldn't list it but with preferences I just might.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Your venue can probably tuck the menus into the napkins. I've seen them presented that way and it looks really nice.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    mysticl said:
    Me too.  I can't stand pork.  Let me amend that I LOVE bacon and sausage but other preparations of pork are just plain gross to me.  It's not a religious or health issue, it's a gross issue.  Gross to the point that the smell sometimes makes me want to hurl.   So if you ask for restrictions I wouldn't list it but with preferences I just might.  
    Definitely agree. In my template it says "dietary restrictions (gluten free, vegetarian, etc.)" and then a few lines to fill in. I think that gets the point across, but I don't mind following up with a phone call, as the majority of our guestlist are close friends and family. Also part of the reason we chose the duo option is because most guests will enjoy one of those two proteins, many both, and there will be extra portions of the vegetarian option just in case.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards