Snarky Brides
Options

100 Sentimental Wedding Ideas

Re: 100 Sentimental Wedding Ideas

• Options
    The monogrammed veil made me feel a little sick. Yes, we know who you are--we're here at your wedding!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    My mom has never worn a wedding gown to either of her weddings. She's not a gown girl. Turns out I'm not either. My step mom wore a gown! But she donated to a charity. Damn, no gown work at my wedding. 

I kind of hate the "obviously you have married parents" ideas in general. Some people were raised by single parents who never married. A lot of people have divorced parents. And some people were raised by, wait for it, same sex parents. I know, I know, it's cray cray. It's ok, there are some picture books that can help you cope with the idea that not everyone's family looks like yours. 

Though FI loves the picture idea of both of your parents kissing in the background while you share a kiss. I figure we can work in three sets of parents into one of those pictures if she really wants it.
  • Options
    Yeah, that Denver airport one seems weird. I'm a person who will walk out a movie with a new best friend but I dunno...the airport? Doesn't seem like a great bonding place. And interview for a job seems weirder. Did one interview the other or were they up for the same job?

Mine would be so boring. Daycare, 3rd grade, 10th grade. Maybe some fake ones would be better. Oh! Craziest place you passed out with the bride! That might include the Denver airport.
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    Yeah, that Denver airport one seems weird. I'm a person who will walk out a movie with a new best friend but I dunno...the airport? Doesn't seem like a great bonding place. And interview for a job seems weirder. Did one interview the other or were they up for the same job?

Mine would be so boring. Daycare, 3rd grade, 10th grade. Maybe some fake ones would be better. Oh! Craziest place you passed out with the bride! That might include the Denver airport.
    I actually made a friend at a job interview. We interviewed on the same day with the same company for different positions... both got the job, so we stayed work friends.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

I guess I assumed they had ended up on some sort of study abroad together, and didn't meet until they were on their way. Mine would be pretty boring too: high school, high school, FSIL, cousin, and our husbands worked together. Although I guess I could make it slightly more interesting and say "band camp"," band camp", "FBIL's wedding", "hospital" (she's an older cousin, I assume she met me in the NICU), and "over scotch".

In all honesty, I don't hate the concept of that one, but I'm not a big fan of all the chalkboards unless you're a teacher, which I'm not.

• Options
    KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Photos of deceased loved ones in...wait for it....mason jars?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    I should see if my mom still has her 80's drop-waist maternity dress that she wore when she got married at the city hall while 5mos pregnant with me. My aunt and grandmother bought it for her, and she loathed it, but she wore it because it was a nice gesture.

I'm pretty sure it was cream colored, with brown and navy brush-texture diagonal stripes, also big shoulder pads. OOH! Maybe I'll wrap my bouquet with shoulder pads!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options

I can't even imagine my face if I walked into the ceremony site and there were HEADLESS MANNEQUINS WEARING WEDDING DRESSES LINING THE WALKWAY.
    If there are any guests that you don't like, write 'this could be you' and seat them directly behind it.

Also, outdoor night wedding with mannequins. Good halloween wedding theme. I like it.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I can't even imagine my face if I walked into the ceremony site and there were HEADLESS MANNEQUINS WEARING WEDDING DRESSES LINING THE WALKWAY.
    This! That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard!

I think the signs that show where everyone came from is fun!

Wow the artist painting your ceremony is a pretty neat idea! I would think it would have to be a longer ceremony?

Anniversary
  • Options

This! That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard!

I think the signs that show where everyone came from is fun!

Wow the artist painting your ceremony is a pretty neat idea! I would think it would have to be a longer ceremony?
    If you had a long full-mass catholic ceremony it might work. Or, if you know some kind of street artist who is good at banging out a quick painting. Best bet would be to give the artist a photo and have them create a stylized version.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options

KGold80 said:
    Photos of deceased loved ones in...wait for it....mason jars?
    That was horrifying. 
    I put green beans in my mason jars. Or jam. 

(I can really understand that people want to honor their departed family members on significant dates. But I wish they wouldn't, at weddings. Or please do it privately. If I walked into a wedding and saw a table full of my deceased family's photos, my heart would break. If they were stuffed into decorated mason jars, I might puke.)
  • Options
    KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

I know other people love it and it's kind of sweet, but am I the only one vaguely sickened by the fetishization of the "mrs." title? It's really 1940's, you know? I'm marrying the guy I love, not becoming him. I am changing my name for a variety of reasons, but not because I think subsuming my identity into his is the fulfillment of a lifelong goal.

E.g.

@MagicInk and my other feminist knotties, surely it's not just me? Right?!
    No, it's not just you. It makes me cringe a bit, too. I'm not even fully changing my name. I'm hyphenating.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Denver airport - the "new" one is out in BFE. If you have a long lay over, I could see chatting up people and becoming friends. Or they both work or worked there.

MOH would have to hold a sign saying she stole my bear. Granted, I promptly threw a block at her, giving her a black eye. We were about 14 months old.
  • Options
    Denver airport - the "new" one is out in BFE. If you have a long lay over, I could see chatting up people and becoming friends. Or they both work or worked there. MOH would have to hold a sign saying she stole my bear. Granted, I promptly threw a block at her, giving her a black eye. We were about 14 months old.
    Oh maaaaaan I'm flying to Denver in a few weeks.

My BMs are little sister, big sister, former coworker, former coworker, FSIL. Although I guess one of the coworker signs could technically say "birthday party for a mutual friend who neither of us is as close with anymore as we are with each other. #sorrynotsorry."

• Options
    I've seen this picture bunch of times. She met one girl at the Denver airport?? And they became such good friends that she's in her wedding? Does this seem odd to anyone else? Signed - An unfriendly NY'er that would never talk to anyone at an airport. 

I'm going to do this, but have the signs say, "Target ladies room" and "Park bench" and "Dark alley". 
    I think you are just being cynical lol.  I think the picture is silly, but you can meet a friend anywhere.  You never know what can happen.  When I think about how I met certain people and how far those relationships have gone, it's pretty amazing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I really wish the chalkboard trend would die. When I first saw invitations with that design, they were aimed at teachers, but now it's become part of the whole burlap/rustic/vintage/hipster trend.
  • Options
    OnceUponAVineOnceUponAVine member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    The turning part of your mom's wedding dress into a garter made me cringe... Well, really a lot of them made me cringe.
    I did like the one where your wedding date is embroidered in blue on the inside of the dress as your 'something blue' and using the locket with a picture of deceased loves ones wrapped around your bouquet (my sister actually did this as a private way to include them in her ceremony).

Edited to add: I also like the map cuff links and might do this as a fun non-wedding gift for FI
  • Options
    I really wish the chalkboard trend would die. When I first saw invitations with that design, they were aimed at teachers, but now it's become part of the whole burlap/rustic/vintage/hipster trend.
    We ended up with chalkboards (cringe, I know) when I started looking at ideas 2 years ago.I'm pissed that it became a huge pinterest/decor thing (I have exactly 3 pins on one board), because now we've got too many chalkboards to go back. Our wedding is in a children's museum and I wanted a playful element so that our wedding didn't look out of place. So our ideas look a little more like this, so hopefully we wont scream stupid pinterest. Sigh.
  • Options
    @PDKH

1. Having your wedding in a children's museum is fantasic
    2. Chalkboards are completely acceptable in that situation - and they way you want to use lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards