Snarky Brides

100 Sentimental Wedding Ideas

Re: 100 Sentimental Wedding Ideas

• @PDKH

1. Having your wedding in a children's museum is fantasic
    2. Chalkboards are completely acceptable in that situation - and they way you want to use lol
    Thanks! I figured we'd be slightly redeemed by having no burlap or lace in sight. And very excited about the museum. There's some awkward oddities, but we figured it was worth it lol!

Also, I ordered custom cuff links for FI. There are tons of cool Etsy designs out there. 
  • Denver airport - the "new" one is out in BFE. If you have a long lay over, I could see chatting up people and becoming friends. Or they both work or worked there. MOH would have to hold a sign saying she stole my bear. Granted, I promptly threw a block at her, giving her a black eye. We were about 14 months old.
    Oh maaaaaan I'm flying to Denver in a few weeks.

DIA is in BFE. When you'r held hostage in the CO plains, you do what you gotta (says the girl who flies out of DIA 5-6 times a year...and who has yet to meet a new "friend" there). At least there are a handful of great bars there now. 

The only person standing up with me is my sister. I wonder if her sign should read, "the womb"?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Niccirf said:
    Denver airport - the "new" one is out in BFE. If you have a long lay over, I could see chatting up people and becoming friends. Or they both work or worked there. MOH would have to hold a sign saying she stole my bear. Granted, I promptly threw a block at her, giving her a black eye. We were about 14 months old.

DIA is in BFE. When you'r held hostage in the CO plains, you do what you gotta (says the girl who flies out of DIA 5-6 times a year...and who has yet to meet a new "friend" there). At least there are a handful of great bars there now. 

The only person standing up with me is my sister. I wonder if her sign should read, "the womb"?
    Ugh. I despise DIA. It is one of the most inconvenient airports known to mankind. Seriously, your airport land is bigger than the island of Manhattan? Not necessary.
  • PDKH said:
    @PDKH

1. Having your wedding in a children's museum is fantasic
    2. Chalkboards are completely acceptable in that situation - and they way you want to use lol
    Thanks! I figured we'd be slightly redeemed by having no burlap or lace in sight. And very excited about the museum. There's some awkward oddities, but we figured it was worth it lol!

Also, I ordered custom cuff links for FI. There are tons of cool Etsy designs out there. 
    Chalkboards in a children's museum = A+ perfect theme.

Chalkboards in a ballroom = WTF no.

Chalkboards in a barn = this is not the 18th century we don't do one-room schoolhouses anymore.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I know other people love it and it's kind of sweet, but am I the only one vaguely sickened by the fetishization of the "mrs." title? It's really 1940's, you know? I'm marrying the guy I love, not becoming him. I am changing my name for a variety of reasons, but not because I think subsuming my identity into his is the fulfillment of a lifelong goal.

E.g.

@MagicInk and my other feminist knotties, surely it's not just me? Right?!
    You're so not alone. Plus I mean, it's wrong too. You aren't Mrs. as you walk down the aisle. You're still Miss or Ms. FI says she wants some Ms. stuff because it's no one's damn business if she's married! Even at her wedding apparently.

I will admit to finding some Mrs.&Mrs. stuff cute. I say its because I get giddy whenever I see it publicly recgonized that sometimes there's Mrs.&Mrs. or Mr.&Mr....or some other combination there of. Not on this list though. This list is for the heterosexuals.
  • Denver airport - the "new" one is out in BFE. If you have a long lay over, I could see chatting up people and becoming friends. Or they both work or worked there. MOH would have to hold a sign saying she stole my bear. Granted, I promptly threw a block at her, giving her a black eye. We were about 14 months old.

STIB

I came up with a better one for one of my peeps! We were in daycare and asked to break a crayon so I did. And then we both started crying because now the crayon was broken and then the daycare teacher gave us each half and told us we were crayon buddies.

My BMs are little sister, big sister, former coworker, former coworker, FSIL. Although I guess one of the coworker signs could technically say "birthday party for a mutual friend who neither of us is as close with anymore as we are with each other. #sorrynotsorry."
    She's gonna need a bigger chalk board.
  • I love chalkboards, and I'll admit it without shame. My dad collected antique advertising and ephemera, and had this incredible Victorian sample book of chalkboard advertising, with some incredible fonts and flourishes. I loved that book, and spent hours drawing fancy letters. Still not over it. I love chalkboarding, and have been known to chase my kids around going, "Look at that M. Is that the coolest M you've ever seen? Do you see the cross hatching on the spine? Is that the best M ever?"

I agree, it isn't a look for every wedding. But chalkboards have been good to me this year. 
  • Not to mention school hardly even use chalkboards anymore, they are mostly whiteboards. Ugh I can't stand the feeling of chalk on my fingers, it's as excruciating as hearing the scratch on the board. My friend painted her dining table with chalkboard paint (for her son) and just looking at it makes it cringe! 

• MagicInk said:
    I know other people love it and it's kind of sweet, but am I the only one vaguely sickened by the fetishization of the "mrs." title? It's really 1940's, you know? I'm marrying the guy I love, not becoming him. I am changing my name for a variety of reasons, but not because I think subsuming my identity into his is the fulfillment of a lifelong goal.

E.g.

@MagicInk and my other feminist knotties, surely it's not just me? Right?!
    You're so not alone. Plus I mean, it's wrong too. You aren't Mrs. as you walk down the aisle. You're still Miss or Ms. FI says she wants some Ms. stuff because it's no one's damn business if she's married! Even at her wedding apparently.

I will admit to finding some Mrs.&Mrs. stuff cute. I say its because I get giddy whenever I see it publicly recgonized that sometimes there's Mrs.&Mrs. or Mr.&Mr....or some other combination there of. Not on this list though. This list is for the heterosexuals.
    I saw some super cute "Mr. & Mrs." signs at the craft store and thought I'd love something like that to hang on the back of our dinner chairs.  However, since I'm not changing my name, the signs wouldn't work.  "No problem!" I thought "I'll just order some Mr. & Ms. signs from the internet! It'll be cute and will easily communicate that I'm not changing my name!" I got home and jumped on the computer to start searching.  And searching.  And searching.  There is not one "decor" thing on all of the internet that says "Ms."  Boy did that leave me pissed at the world. 
  • I can see why there isn't any Ms. stuff. Ms. is now used for adult women pretty much so the woman's title doesn't change when she gets married, but whenever she gets old enough that "Miss" feels too young and "Ma'am" feels too old!

I think some of the Mr./Mrs. stuff is cute too, so I'm kind of torn when I see it. I AM excited to have the same name as my FH, but only because I want us to be family and it's one way to mark it. 

@MagicInk, yeah, the thing about her not being Mrs. when she first walks in the shoes bothers me too! I think it might be why it bothers me more than the signs. Maybe it'd be cute if she changed or stuck little "Just Married" signs on the ends when the ceremony was over. But doing it beforehand is just inaccurate!
    This is me reading threads on TK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've been using ampersands in place of Mr./Mrs. stuff, which is in all of one place. I'm changing my name, but plan to go by Ms. 

Anniversary

• I cringed at the people throwing wheat.  I bet they were itching for a while afterward!

I thought the monogrammed flower girl dress was awful.  Really, who wants a monogram splayed across their chest?
  • Oh, the family items being tossed sounds cute and all. But...

My family is throwing used surgical gloves at us.

And I thought throwing actual cupcake sprinkles in your colors, then fussing for years about the stains was bad.
  • Oh, the family items being tossed sounds cute and all. But... My family is throwing used surgical gloves at us. And I thought throwing actual cupcake sprinkles in your colors, then fussing for years about the stains was bad.
    Hmmm... my parents were both in the military. Looks like they're throwing bullets. Better than the law books and draperies FI's family would be throwing.

Cute idea, for the very specific niche market of "people whose parents grow wheat." 

• I think I have a thing against emphasis on THE SHOOOOOOESSSS in general.  Why?  No, really - why?  Why do we need to stick "Mrs. So-&-So" on them?  Why do we need to put "I" and "do" on the bottoms of them?  Sure this might be more appropriate / warranted if you're wearing a short or tea-length dress, but for those of us with gowns...  ehhhh you'll be lucky if you actually get a glimpse of my shoes at my wedding.

Maybe I'm crazy, but the obsession with "wedding shoes" drives me up a wall.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • I'm going to be flying into Denver in two weeks. That airport is creepy as fuck! The horse statue outside - it's the thing nightmares are made of. 
  • I'm going to be flying into Denver in two weeks. That airport is creepy as fuck! The horse statue outside - it's the thing nightmares are made of. 
    What ever do you mean??
    I am seriously LOLing right now. Hahahaha! 

Like, how many people had to approve that thing? I just don't get it. 
  • Yes, the throwing family profession themed items is great for wheat farmers.
     My poor girl would be getting fish from one side and coal from the other. Or paint and pens, perhaps. Depending on which branch of family. All bad ideas.

• Yes, the throwing family profession themed items is great for wheat farmers.
     My poor girl would be getting fish from one side and coal from the other. Or paint and pens, perhaps. Depending on which branch of family. All bad ideas.
    I'd get petri dishes, solar panels, stethoscopes, and aspirin.

On second thought, after spending a whole day with FI's family, please someone throw aspirin at me.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
    What ever do you mean??

Pretty sure they just polled a bunch of drunks at a Bronco's football game. 

And you want to know the creepiest part about dear "devil horse"...read THIS!
    What ever do you mean??

Pretty sure they just polled a bunch of drunks at a Bronco's football game. 

And you want to know the creepiest part about dear "devil horse"...read THIS!
    That is terrifying. :-|

Flying into Denver 3 weeks from Friday!

• SmileDamnitSmileDamnit member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    Well not that everyone is sufficiently terrified to come to Denver & pass by 'Blucifer', let me assure you that once out of the eastern plains of airport land, it really is a kick ass city. @ClimbingBrideNY & @lolo83 (...though why am I tagging you?? Tags still aren't working, are they?) - lemme know if you need any food/drink suggestions while you're here!
  • I think I have a thing against emphasis on THE SHOOOOOOESSSS in general.  Why?  No, really - why?  Why do we need to stick "Mrs. So-&-So" on them?  Why do we need to put "I" and "do" on the bottoms of them?  Sure this might be more appropriate / warranted if you're wearing a short or tea-length dress, but for those of us with gowns...  ehhhh you'll be lucky if you actually get a glimpse of my shoes at my wedding.

I just love shoes.  That's 100% of my reason.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

This. It's one of my stereotypical girl things, I heart shoes big time. Any excuse to buy new shoes works for me.
  • MagicInk said:

I think I have a thing against emphasis on THE SHOOOOOOESSSS in general.  Why?  No, really - why?  Why do we need to stick "Mrs. So-&-So" on them?  Why do we need to put "I" and "do" on the bottoms of them?  Sure this might be more appropriate / warranted if you're wearing a short or tea-length dress, but for those of us with gowns...  ehhhh you'll be lucky if you actually get a glimpse of my shoes at my wedding.

This. It's one of my stereotypical girl things, I heart shoes big time. Any excuse to buy new shoes works for me.

Another shoe fanatic. The shoes were my very first wedding purchase. They're aqua suede pumps and they're awesome.

• Well not that everyone is sufficiently terrified to come to Denver & pass by 'Blucifer', let me assure you that once out of the eastern plains of airport land, it really is a kick ass city. @ClimbingBrideNY & @lolo83 (...though why am I tagging you?? Tags still aren't working, are they?) - lemme know if you need any food/drink suggestions while you're here!

I'm not sure I'll have time...coming in to be a BM and I think most of my time is scheduled!

• Crap, does my family really have to throw Chinese takeout menus at me?! FI would have to get mail thrown at him. What a terrible waste of paper!

I flew into Denver a few years ago to visit FBIL. That airport was just... weird.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Crap, does my family really have to throw Chinese takeout menus at me?! FI would have to get mail thrown at him. What a terrible waste of paper!

I flew into Denver a few years ago to visit FBIL. That airport was just... weird.
    Chow mein noodles, right to the face.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards