Chit Chat

Eye-rolling baby names

Re: Eye-rolling baby names

• I was told by someone that I work with (I'm a teacher), that before I came to this school they had a Kindergartner come in with the name Le-a.  Everyone pronounced it lee-uh.  The mom came in mad because her name was supposed to be pronounced Lee-dash-uh "The dash don't be silent"  I'm hoping this is just a made up story!!! 

I knew a girl in HS who's name was Xochitl pronounced "Zo-chee"   I can **ALMOST** understand the spelling (from a phonetic standpoint) until you get to the tl at the end!  SMH

I had a Da'Koda once.  His brother was Aweston :-/   I have a DonJaJane (one word) and a Me Chel (must include the space!) in my class now.

My biological mother said she thought about naming me LynnLee (her name and my bio dad's names squished together) if she hadn't have given me up for adoption.
  • I was told by someone that I work with (I'm a teacher), that before I came to this school they had a Kindergartner come in with the name Le-a.  Everyone pronounced it lee-uh.  The mom came in mad because her name was supposed to be pronounced Lee-dash-uh "The dash don't be silent"  I'm hoping this is just a made up story!!! 

I knew a girl in HS who's name was Xochitl pronounced "Zo-chee"   I can **ALMOST** understand the spelling (from a phonetic standpoint) until you get to the tl at the end!  SMH

I had a Da'Koda once.  His brother was Aweston :-/   I have a DonJaJane (one word) and a Me Chel (must include the space!) in my class now.

My biological mother said she thought about naming me LynnLee (her name and my bio dad's names squished together) if she hadn't have given me up for adoption.
    Wow.... the bolded is kind of an ignorant comment.  Xochitl means "blossom" in Nahuatl.  It's pronounced that way because of the language.  It's not weird or made-up.

Aweston is pretty terrible though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Wow.... the bolded is kind of an ignorant comment.  Xochitl means "blossom" in Nahuatl.  It's pronounced that way because of the language.  It's not weird or made-up.

Yep...ignorant as in I had no clue. Why would I?  What language is Nahuatl?  Where is it spoken? Never heard of it.    And just to point out.... the girl who's name it was didn't even know why it was spelled that way.  She hated it and changed it later on.
  • I don't really see why Rhealyn and Jayce are bad? We considered naming our son Jayce however the year he was born some idiot on Big Brother was popular so we decided against it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Yep...ignorant as in I had no clue. Why would I?  What language is Nahuatl?  Where is it spoken? Never heard of it.    And just to point out.... the girl who's name it was didn't even know why it was spelled that way.  She hated it and changed it later on.

It's a kickass brand of tortilla chips.
    Mmmmm chips. Nahuatl is an Aztec language spoken in central Mexico.

Also @Istoleahalo, to your first story, no. Really, you're gonna relay the same bad urban legend WORD FOR WORD?

• I don't really see why Rhealyn and Jayce are bad? We considered naming our son Jayce however the year he was born some idiot on Big Brother was popular so we decided against it. 
    Because they're both stupid made-up spellings which originated from other, normal names. Jayce isn't a standalone name, it's a botched spelling of a shortened version of Jason because "I don't want him to be like all the other Jasons!"

• edited May 2014
    Broken link in the last post -- http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp
    Geez oh pizza why do my links never work?!?! Thanks @grumbledore

Also @Istoleahalo, to your first story, no. Really, you're gonna relay the same bad urban legend WORD FOR WORD?
    Interesting...never heard of it before and I guess this girl hadn't either.  Wonder why her parents named her that and then didn't explain it to her?  It's kinda cool now that I know.  But it follows along with lots of these names... they sound weird to us but there might actually be a meaning behind it for the parents/family.

Like I said it was told to me and I'm GLAD to know it's made up!!  LOL

Wow good catch-- literally word for word, "The dash don't be silent."

Why would you do that, @Istoleahalo?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ugh Knot issues. I was going to reply about the proposed name Kyrie and gave up. 

Sorry for my multiple posts elsewhere. 
    Hmm... I have mixed feelings about this one.  I have a strong attraction to the word itself because of my lifelong love of classical music.  But the translation makes it a little ick (lord) and the poor kid would be forever pronouncing it for people.
    I get less ragey about names that are actual words, even if they're hard to pronounce and a little bit out there, as long as they're spelled right. 
    My college chamber orchestra performed the Mozart Requiem.  All I can think of is "Kyyyrr---ee-AAAAY"

It's actually a really pretty name though.  Although it would be constantly mispronounced.
    i have a Kyrii in my class right now.  I didn't think it was that weird (mainly I think becaus eI love this kid!  lol)
  • Ugh Knot issues. I was going to reply about the proposed name Kyrie and gave up. 

Sorry for my multiple posts elsewhere. 
    Hmm... I have mixed feelings about this one.  I have a strong attraction to the word itself because of my lifelong love of classical music.  But the translation makes it a little ick (lord) and the poor kid would be forever pronouncing it for people.
    I get less ragey about names that are actual words, even if they're hard to pronounce and a little bit out there, as long as they're spelled right. 
    My college chamber orchestra performed the Mozart Requiem.  All I can think of is "Kyyyrr---ee-AAAAY"

It's actually a really pretty name though.  Although it would be constantly mispronounced.
    i have a Kyrii in my class right now.  I didn't think it was that weird (mainly I think becaus eI love this kid!  lol)
    @Istoleahalo So, you comment on this but not on the fact that you just got called out for copy and pasting a racist urban legend?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I was told by someone that I work with (I'm a teacher), that before I came to this school they had a Kindergartner come in with the name Le-a.  Everyone pronounced it lee-uh.  The mom came in mad because her name was supposed to be pronounced Lee-dash-uh "The dash don't be silent"  I'm hoping this is just a made up story!!! 

They stole a halo so why not an urban legend too.
  • I hate the weird spellings of names, makes me nuts.  I'm also a hater of sound-a-like twin names.  One of the girls I went to elementary school with named her twins Jayton and Jaxton.  Come on - they are two separate entities, why do you want to name them almost the same name?  Rhyme-y names make me nuts too. 

• littledog25littledog25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014

On my Facebook ticker, a friend's friend just announced that baby "Wiktoria" was born.

All I can think of is that she was named after Wikipedia....

Edited because I can't type today....

• On my Facebook ticker, a friend's friend just announced that baby "Wiktoria" was born.

Any chance they meant..Viktoria? I mean it's a screwed up spelling of Victoria. But...at least it's a real name.
  • It is, however, an accepted spelling.

Wiktoria is just dumb.

Also, this is not the Google result I would want when searching my baby's name.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It is, however, an accepted spelling.

Wiktoria is just dumb.

Also, this is not the Google result I would want when searching my baby's name.  
    Hey, hyperlinks show up as blue links now!! We don't have to write 'clicky' all the time.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • edited May 2014
    I just want to add.. I hate when people try to shorten my name. There are tons of nicknames for my name, so when I say, "My name is Suchandsuch" and people ask what I go by- I've started to say whatever ridiculous thing pops into my head.. so conversations go more: 

Me: "Hi, my name is Samantha*" 
    Stanger: "What do you go by?" 
    Me: "Captain Shenanigans" 
    *Not my real name

Edited for formatting.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Interesting...never heard of it before and I guess this girl hadn't either.  Wonder why her parents named her that and then didn't explain it to her?  It's kinda cool now that I know.  But it follows along with lots of these names... they sound weird to us but there might actually be a meaning behind it for the parents/family.

Like I said it was told to me and I'm GLAD to know it's made up!!  LOL
    Sorry I hadn't heard it except for the woman who told me and I even said in my original "I hope this is made up"... and I did respond.  Thanks :)  
  • arrippa said:
    I was told by someone that I work with (I'm a teacher), that before I came to this school they had a Kindergartner come in with the name Le-a.  Everyone pronounced it lee-uh.  The mom came in mad because her name was supposed to be pronounced Lee-dash-uh "The dash don't be silent"  I'm hoping this is just a made up story!!! 

They stole a halo so why not an urban legend too.
    Har har har :)  Feel better now? :)
  • mrscatymrscaty member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    I have more. I went to college with a Devon ... pronounced De-Von. His sister was named Princess. SMH
  • I have one student who's mother misspelled her name on her birth certificate on accident. She flipped the vowels around, so it would be like Allosin instead of Allison. I have another student that her first name is her mother's maiden name (which mom kept) then her last name is her father's last name, so Smyth Jones and mom is Lady Smith.

I'm sick of Kadence, Kaden, Tristan, or any misspelling thereof. I know 4 Kadence and 2 Kaden and 3 Tristan babies.
  • My Econ teacher in high school was named John Johnson. We also have an attorney on my hometown named Richard Dickey. . . but he goes by Dick. Dick Dickey, attorney. Ugh. I don't know why those always bugged my so much, but they do!
  • I work at a public library - one little girl came in and was named, no lie, Azrael, as in, the angel of death.

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

What do you think of giving babies "old people names" like Mildred, Elmer, Herbert, Gladys, etc.?

When I was growing up I didn't know anyone with a really weird name but I had two friends that hated their old people names.   

With all of the yoonique names out there now I would actually feel better for a kid that got named Herbert instead of Jaxon.  

• csuave said:

What do you think of giving babies "old people names" like Mildred, Elmer, Herbert, Gladys, etc.?

When I was growing up I didn't know anyone with a really weird name but I had two friends that hated their old people names.   

With all of the yoonique names out there now I would actually feel better for a kid that got named Herbert instead of Jaxon.  

DH and I really like 'Hugh' for a boy if we have one, and that's fairly old-fashioned. But there's also Hugh Laurie and Hugh Jackman, so it's not totally unheard-of.

My parents are friends with a William Williamson [Mom's maiden name] Williams. Yes. Really. He goes by 'Bill.' Don't blame him. 
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • MagicInk said:

On my Facebook ticker, a friend's friend just announced that baby "Wiktoria" was born.

Any chance they meant..Viktoria? I mean it's a screwed up spelling of Victoria. But...at least it's a real name.

Wiktoria is a real name BTW. It's the Polish spelling of Victoria. Their W makes our V sound.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards