Snarky Brides
Options

Disney Princess Wedding article...

Re: Disney Princess Wedding article...

• Options
    Ok, so I love me some Disney. Especially Disney coplay. I work for Disney, been there over 72 times last year alone (on days off). 

When I got engaged I had people constantly asking, "so where's Mickey and Minnie? You're having it at a Disney resort, riiiiiiiight?" HELL to F-ing no. There's a time and place for Mickey and it won't be at my wedding. My bff had the Mickey and Minnie cake topper for her wedding last year which was cute, but I just couldn't take it seriously. 

PrincessOfHavoc I nearly cried when I heard WDWs ideas for demolishing the Imagination! Pavilion at Epcot. I've already decided that my future child will have a figment themed room. I hate how there's not enough love for Captain EO or Journey into Imagination with Figment

imageimage

• Options
    I love Disneyland so much that I actually took my first airline job so that we could fly down as often as I wanted. (True. My children loved me for this.) 

But this is just craptastic. The costumes are hideous, and cheap looking, and I would hide my face in shame if I sewed that badly. 

• Options

So many things run through my head about this but the big burning question I have is what did she say to her "jasmine" BM? Was she like "Hey, you're ethnic/ethnic looking, can you dress up as jasmine and be my bridesmaid?".... Awkward and just wrong. I love Disney and all but the only Disney in my wedding is my dress (from the Alfred angelo Disney wedding collection) and that was only cuz I loved the style, not the "Disney" name.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I will admit that I do love the Alfred Angelo Disney dresses because I'm such a girly girl. The Snow White gowns with the floral details are beautiful online. FI even proposed to me at Magic Kingdom during the Wishes fireworks show! We LOVE Disney. But FI and I wouldn't allude to Disney in a huge way during our wedding. There is a time and place: a wedding is neither.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

So many things run through my head about this but the big burning question I have is what did she say to her "jasmine" BM? Was she like "Hey, you're ethnic/ethnic looking, can you dress up as jasmine and be my bridesmaid?".... Awkward and just wrong. I love Disney and all but the only Disney in my wedding is my dress (from the Alfred angelo Disney wedding collection) and that was only cuz I loved the style, not the "Disney" name.

Too funny. That was my thought, exactly.
    ( My daughter just spent two years in LA, where she has been cast as "Italian girl," "Persian girl," "Hispanic girl," "Armenian girl," and "East Indian girl." I showed her the picture and she said, "Well, we know which bridesmaid I'd be." Yep, she's all-purpose ethnic girl. 
  • Options
    shannonmaya I just went on Figment a couple of weeks ago! I had no idea they were demolishing it. :( That's so sad. At least they haven't gotten rid of Carousal of Progress (one of my favorites!)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    @shannonmaya When I got engaged I had people constantly asking, "so where's Mickey and Minnie? You're having it at a Disney resort, riiiiiiiight?" HELL to F-ing no. There's a time and place for Mickey and it won't be at my wedding. My bff had the Mickey and Minnie cake topper for her wedding last year which was cute, but I just couldn't take it seriously. 

^ THE BOLDED.  I love Disney! I grew up on Disney!  Our kids will grow up on Disney!  My gown is from the Alfred Angelo Disney bridal collection too, but ONLY BECAUSE I LIKE THE DRESS.  NOT BECAUSE IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH DISNEY.  
    What if we added other elements of childhood to our wedding?  
    "For our first course, we'll be serving Goldfish crackers and Cheerios in a Ziplock baggie.  For our second course, there will be microwaved chicken fingers and a handful of peas.  For the dessert course, there will be cake with pink frosting - we expect all guests to smoosh it into their faces.  Attire: Please wear a onsie with your choice of cartoon character on it.  A bib would also be proper.  Immediately following the ceremony, there will be a mandatory naptime."
    Perfect!  Instead of unhosted gaps, we'll have unhosted naps.  I would love to see that.
  • Options
    Okay, yea this Disney wedding was more than a bit much. For me, the King Triton getup stood out the most as "ick" and no way would my dad do that for me. Or maybe he would, but I'd never live it down from him! 

But just wanted to put it out there that my FI and I are having a traditional wedding at Disneyland with only a few Disney elements (a song here or there, hidden Mickeys, etc) - Nothing tacky like this ridiculous wedding. 

We both love Disney and used to go several times per month so it seems fitting for us. When we go, we are both happy and able to de-stress from the "real world," even just from having lunch there. :-)
  • Options
    Personally, the Alfred Angelo gowns don't look Disney-ish at all, so I don't have an issue with them. They're just inspired by the Disney princesses. 

If you didn't know it was the "Ariel" or "Cinderella" gown, there's no way you'd ever know they were related to Disney.
  • Options
    I'm a lady that loves disney. But this makes me gaggy.
  • Options
    rajahmdrajahmd member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    I think we need @bouncertony‌'s opinion of this wedding.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I love Disney, but this wedding is a train wreck.  It just looks really badly done and cheap.  
  • Options

@beethery , I laugh most times you post with any hint of snark. This thread was a prime example. Thank you for that.

My MOH loves Disney, particularly Cinderella. (She got to go to Disney World a lot as a kid because she has a severe congenital heart defect and her parents wanted to be sure they made the most of their time with her, and it stuck.) Her favorite color, as she puts it, is "glitter." We would not decorate our houses similarly. But she would never consider this nonsense. Her wedding would involve being an adult.

I am a sassy shit, and I am glad you appreciate it!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I don't get the adults who are obsessed with Disney, but I can accept that people like it.

This, however, is a trainwreck.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I love me all things costumed, glittery, bedazzled and/or girly. My wedding is possibly the only excuse to indulge in such love without constant side eyes. I'm not playing child's tea party for it! I'm mostly adult, I need to show that.

My favorite color remains sparkly.
  • Options
    APDSS22APDSS22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    After skimming through that, I think they only went that over-the-top so the groom could possibly get exposure for his desire to work for Disney "in any capacity".  If she was that committed to being Ariel on her wedding day, she should've gotten married on a boat.  And her dad would've been wearing a mer-man fin.  But that man has suffered enough.
  • Options
    Personally, the Alfred Angelo gowns don't look Disney-ish at all, so I don't have an issue with them. They're just inspired by the Disney princesses. 

If you didn't know it was the "Ariel" or "Cinderella" gown, there's no way you'd ever know they were related to Disney.

I agree 100% - people have been calling them "Cinderella gowns" long before AlfAng designed the Disney line
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    Inkdancer said:
    @shannonmaya When I got engaged I had people constantly asking, "so where's Mickey and Minnie? You're having it at a Disney resort, riiiiiiiight?" HELL to F-ing no. There's a time and place for Mickey and it won't be at my wedding. My bff had the Mickey and Minnie cake topper for her wedding last year which was cute, but I just couldn't take it seriously. 

^ THE BOLDED.  I love Disney! I grew up on Disney!  Our kids will grow up on Disney!  My gown is from the Alfred Angelo Disney bridal collection too, but ONLY BECAUSE I LIKE THE DRESS.  NOT BECAUSE IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH DISNEY.  
    What if we added other elements of childhood to our wedding?  
    "For our first course, we'll be serving Goldfish crackers and Cheerios in a Ziplock baggie.  For our second course, there will be microwaved chicken fingers and a handful of peas.  For the dessert course, there will be cake with pink frosting - we expect all guests to smoosh it into their faces.  Attire: Please wear a onsie with your choice of cartoon character on it.  A bib would also be proper.  Immediately following the ceremony, there will be a mandatory naptime."
    Perfect!  Instead of unhosted gaps, we'll have unhosted naps.  I would love to see that.
    Excuse me, I require hosted naps. Hosts will provide apple juice, cookies, and blankies.
    And Mozart softly playing in the background as a courtesy - to increase brain function, of course! 
    But not a recording of Mozart.  Actual Mozart.  Live Mozart or it's not a legitimate hosted nap-gap.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hellohkbhellohkb mod
    edited May 2014
    I dislike theme weddings but if there's one type of theme wedding I do love looking at it's a Disney theme. However, this was a bit theme-y party. Why would she have her dad wear that crown? Its also weird that they made the groomsmen villains.. And I'm not going to get started on that ice sculpture. The bridesmaid dresses are very cute and I do love the bouquets. 

Although honestly, I'd rather see more weddings like this that are handcrafted and obviously special to them than another burlap rustic wedding. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I dislike theme weddings but if there's one type of theme wedding I do love looking at it's a Disney theme. However, this was a bit theme-y party. Why would she have her dad wear that crown? My dad does look a lot like King Triton IRL (minus the beard, but has a very impressive mustache) and I used to have Ariel red hair, but I'd NEVER ask my dad to do this for my wedding. It's also weird that they made the groomsmen villains.. And I'm not going to get started on that ice sculpture. The bridesmaid dresses are cute but wish they were nicely made. And I do love the bouquets. 

Although honestly, I'd rather see more weddings like this that are handcrafted and obviously special to them than another burlap rustic wedding. 
    I agree. This wedding was a bit much for my taste, but really it's not hurting anyone. At least Disney is special to the couple. 

I went to a beautiful wedding with peacock feathers in the flowers and center pieces, and the colors of peacock feathers were used throughout the space. When asked how the bride chose her decor, she said, "I saw it on Pintrest." I expected to hear, "I have always thought peacocks were beautiful," or, "These are my favorite colors."
  • Options
    I too am getting married at the Disneyland resort, and we are planning to have the chairs from 'UP' as our cake topper, but that's pretty much where the Disney ends as far as the ceremony/reception is concerned.

We will walk around the parks after the reception with our families wearing the bride and groom ears
  • Options
    I dislike theme weddings but if there's one type of theme wedding I do love looking at it's a Disney theme. However, this was a bit theme-y party. Why would she have her dad wear that crown? My dad does look a lot like King Triton IRL (minus the beard, but has a very impressive mustache) and I used to have Ariel red hair, but I'd NEVER ask my dad to do this for my wedding. It's also weird that they made the groomsmen villains.. And I'm not going to get started on that ice sculpture. The bridesmaid dresses are cute but wish they were nicely made. And I do love the bouquets. 

I agree. This wedding was a bit much for my taste, but really it's not hurting anyone. At least Disney is special to the couple. 

I went to a beautiful wedding with peacock feathers in the flowers and center pieces, and the colors of peacock feathers were used throughout the space. When asked how the bride chose her decor, she said, "I saw it on Pintrest." I expected to hear, "I have always thought peacocks were beautiful," or, "These are my favorite colors."
    We were friends with a bridezilla who did that; and none of us can stand to look at Peacock anything anymore.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    edited May 2014
    I find myself shying away from things I like BECAUSE of Pinterest.

For example, I've loved art deco since I was a teenager. I loved the idea of combining peacock colors/feathers with the art deco, which is a popular look. I was dead set on an art deco wedding with peacock accents until The Great Gatsby was released.

The second that hit theatres, everyone was all over Pinterest changing "art deco" to "Gatsby wedding". The more I saw it, the more I shied away from it. I didn't want to look like I was following some stupid trend based on a movie.

Then, we considered an outdoor wedding, and I started looking at things like thrift store vases full of wildflowers and handmade wood signs for directing people to the site.

Boom. Rustic weddings became THE thing. I canceled that idea SO fast.

It wasn't that I wanted our wedding to be unique, because really, it's all been done. I just didn't want something that was the #1 or #2 Pinterest trend. I wanted it to reflect us and our personalities, not eighty billion teenagers with "Someday" boards.
  • Options
    I find myself shying away from things I like BECAUSE of Pinterest.

For example, I've loved art deco since I was a teenager. I loved the idea of combining peacock colors/feathers with the art deco, which is a popular look. I was dead set on an art deco wedding with peacock accents until The Great Gatsby was released.

The second that hit theatres, everyone was all over Pinterest changing "art deco" to "Gatsby wedding". The more I saw it, the more I shied away from it. I didn't want to look like I was following some stupid trend based on a movie.

Then, we considered an outdoor wedding, and I started looking at things like thrift store vases full of wildflowers and handmade wood signs for directing people to the site.

Boom. Rustic weddings became THE thing. I canceled that idea SO fast.

It wasn't that I wanted our wedding to be unique, because really, it's all been done. I just didn't want something that was the #1 or #2 Pinterest trend. I wanted it to reflect us and our personalities, not eighty billion teenagers with "Someday" boards.
    Oh shit me toooooo! FSIL really wanted me to incorporate feathers into fuckin eeeeeeverything, but I wasn't into it at all. I'm just kind of layering in lots of fancy shit and making my own art deco styled elements where I can.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    All I'm thinking is "I wonder if they fought to be their favourite princess" lol
  • Options
    All I'm thinking is "I wonder if they fought to be their favourite princess" lol
    Oh you KNOOOOOOOW the bride didn't let that discussion even see the light of day...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I mean, my wedding is unofficially inspired by Cinderella but here's the extent of the references:

1) My colors are "Cinderella Blue", Silver, and Gold. We call it Cinderella Blue only because it gives most people an immediate reference to the shade we are using.

2) My bridal shower had a lot of fairy tale references in the gifts and things people got me but it wasn't the official theme.

3) I'm wearing a gorgeous ballgown dress and a headband (though not black, it's rhinestone flowers"

4) We are honeymooning at DisneyWorld.

That's it. No mice, no pumpkins, no villains. There's a semi-grown up way to use Disney as an inspiration without your wedding looking like a 5 year old girl's birthday party.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Those bridesmaid dresses are HORRENDOUS. All the outfits are pretty bad, the makeup's bad, etc.

I actually do appreciate the bouquets, though. Decent job there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards