Chit Chat
Options

I'm going to have an aunt that is 14 years younger than me.

2»

Re: I'm going to have an aunt that is 14 years younger than me.

• Options
    beethery said:
    Oh lawd jesus. Do you know how they met? Like THE REAL STORY? Bc sometimes people will not say if they met online. That is my only question.

That said,
    He met her through her parents. My FI actually knows her dad too, from back in the day. 
    I think here being under 21 is weird, unless he doesn't drink, ever. But all other judgment aside...
    But I think it is totally icky to date your friend's daughter...that's what I'm reading right?
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    edited May 2014
    beethery said:
    Oh lawd jesus. Do you know how they met? Like THE REAL STORY? Bc sometimes people will not say if they met online. That is my only question.

That said,
    He met her through her parents. My FI actually knows her dad too, from back in the day. 
    I think here being under 21 is weird, unless he doesn't drink, ever. But all other judgment aside...
    But I think it is totally icky to date your friend's daughter...that's what I'm reading right?
    You're reading it right. He knows her parents. 

When I first met her, I didn't know she was only 20. When we went out to eat after my family member's funeral, she was putting the wine away like I'd never seen before. My uncle actually moved the wine bottles away from her so she'd stop filling her glass. Ay yi yi. 
  • Options
    I'm just...ugh. I can't believe this girl is going to be my aunt. I get a bad vibe from her. They came to my mom and dad's for Easter and I couldn't stand to be in the same room as her. She seems like a 16 year old kid. 

At her age, I was living on my own, going to college AND working full time. She seems perfectly happy mooching off my uncle. 
    What is your Uncle like?  You keep talking smack about his GF but how "mature" is your Uncle?
    My uncle is a very mature 42. He's a very hard worker and has been for all his life. He owns multiple properties and works in a union. He was previously married for 10 years - his wife left him about 2 years ago. 
    Well he may be mature in the work area but maybe not in the relationship area. He may be having a mid life crisis. He may want something completely different then his last marriage. He may be completely in love with her and she with him and that is why they are getting married. And in the end, no matter his reasoning with being with her and she with him, if they are both fine with the arrangement then there really shouldn't be an issue. Until you or anyone else may know differently, like you know for a fact that she is using him for his money and he has no clue, then you just have to accept the relationship even if the age difference is pretty darn large.
    Listen, I get what you're saying. If they're both happy and they love and respect each other, that's great. It's his life and there's nothing I can do. However, I'm just a little shocked and it may take a day or two for me to get over. He is 22 years older than her and they've been dating for 3 months. 

I posted about it here because I would never say anything to my uncle. I will support him 100%. And I'm the only one out of the family that knows right now - Uncle's FI asked me to keep it a secret. 
  • Options
    I'm just...ugh. I can't believe this girl is going to be my aunt. I get a bad vibe from her. They came to my mom and dad's for Easter and I couldn't stand to be in the same room as her. She seems like a 16 year old kid. 

At her age, I was living on my own, going to college AND working full time. She seems perfectly happy mooching off my uncle. 
    What is your Uncle like?  You keep talking smack about his GF but how "mature" is your Uncle?
    My uncle is a very mature 42. He's a very hard worker and has been for all his life. He owns multiple properties and works in a union. He was previously married for 10 years - his wife left him about 2 years ago. 
    Well he may be mature in the work area but maybe not in the relationship area. He may be having a mid life crisis. He may want something completely different then his last marriage. He may be completely in love with her and she with him and that is why they are getting married. And in the end, no matter his reasoning with being with her and she with him, if they are both fine with the arrangement then there really shouldn't be an issue. Until you or anyone else may know differently, like you know for a fact that she is using him for his money and he has no clue, then you just have to accept the relationship even if the age difference is pretty darn large.
    Listen, I get what you're saying. If they're both happy and they love and respect each other, that's great. It's his life and there's nothing I can do. However, I'm just a little shocked and it may take a day or two for me to get over. He is 22 years older than her and they've been dating for 3 months. 

I posted about it here because I would never say anything to my uncle. I will support him 100%. And I'm the only one out of the family that knows right now - Uncle's FI asked me to keep it a secret. 
    I get the shock.  Even if they had been together a year I would still be questioning the age difference and if it will really work.  I guess it just seems like you (and some other posters) are talking a lot of stuff about the 20 year old woman that she really may not deserve.  So I guess I just don't want you to dislike her just because she is 22 years younger then your Uncle.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards