Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Too formal for an informal wedding?

Hi! I'm getting married in October. I'm currently dress shopping and am having a hard time choosing a dress because I'm not sure what is appropriate for my wedding. 
A little about my wedding: Evening on a Saturday (5:00 ceremony). On a deck with a veranda by a lake. Ceremony and reception at the same location. Even if it is an evening wedding, it isn't a big formal wedding. When people ask, we're saying it's "business casual'. The groomsman and groom in suits, not tuxedos. We will have corn hole, a mimosa bar, a taco buffet for dinner. 40ish guests, maybe less- just family and very close friends. We want to keep it small and laid back, but that is giving me a bit of a dilemma when picking out a dress. 

I love is this one:

I love the lace. It's soft, elegant, classy. 

I also love this dress: 

This one is fun, a little less formal. but still so pretty. And I tried it on and it is super comfortable. 

Since the ceremony is only about 10 minutes long and we are gong straight into the reception, I'm wondering if the lace dress (or one similar to it) will be too formal or too "much". I know, it's my wedding and I'm supposed to be dressed up. But at my wedding, I picture myself playing corn hole, drinking a mimosa, hanging out with my nephew and family. There's no dance floor or anything, so we will just be hanging out for a few hours and then going to an after party.
I love both dresses and they both look great on me. It's not the price, it's the style and what is appropriate.

My best friend is set on me wearing a fit and flare that was not comfortable and just didn't feel right. My sister likes very simple and understated, even less formal than the second dress. I know it's a small wedding, but I still want to feel special and beautiful. So, I'm coming to you ladies because there is a lot more wedding experience here than I have and I'm not on the same page as those who have been giving me advice. Plus, I need to buy a dress very soon because the wedding is about 4.5 months away. Enough time, but I don't want to wait much longer.

Let me know what your thoughts are. Not necessarily on the dresses themselves (I'm not stuck on these dresses specifically), but the style and mood that the dresses evoke. Thanks in advance! 

Re: Too formal for an informal wedding?

• Options
    I like the first one bc it looks "classic" and you can look back on it in 20 years without feeling it was too trendy. But I'm also a sucker for lace. Honestly I think either will look nice and fit the formality of the event. I think only a big poofy ballgown would look a bit out of place. These are both nice dresses!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    You will be the bride, so I think you should wear whatever you want.  I like the two dresses you linked in the OP.  They're classic, bridal, not too fussy or over the top, and would fit your wedding, IMO.
  • Options
    I think both dresses are lovely. They are simple and classic, and I think that's perfect for a more informal wedding. If you were looking at ball gowns, then maybe it would be a little odd, but still, wear whatever you want!
  • Options
    I also think you could wear either dress! As PPs said, a big poufy ballgown might look out of place but other than that I think you have a ton of options. So my advice is to pick whatever YOU love and feel comfortable in :) 
  • Options
    I went with an over the top dress - my groom will be in a suit, BM in a suit, MOH in a short dress.  I've let the few guests that are coming know that they don't have to go with anything all that fancy.

Either of those two dresses you posted I think would be fine.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Since you aren't talking about a huge, pouffy ballgown, go ahead and get the dress you love.  It will look beautiful!  Accessorize with pearls, not sparkles.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Neither of those dresses are super formal, so you can wear whichever one you like.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards