Chit Chat

Ring Woes

So H has been having issues with his wedding band.  The one that I put on his finger during the ceremony has been cutting off his circulation to his ring and pinky finger at night.  He got 3 different rings off of amazon for about $20 each.  So no great dollar amounts are lost here.  But each one hasn't been fitting right or has felt weird to him.  We are going to go to a local jeweler next week to first make sure he is getting the correct size, and second I'm going to see if I can get him to try on something that the jeweler has in stock. Did anyone else have the same issue with their H's ring?  I'm wondering if anyone has any great solutions.  Currently H has tried both a tungsten and ceramic ring.  I'm thinking he is going to have to try something that is white gold or something.  Any other suggestions or ideas we haven't thought of would be appreciated.  Neither one of us want his ring to be painful. 
Anniversary

Re: Ring Woes

• So H has been having issues with his wedding band.  The one that I put on his finger during the ceremony has been cutting off his circulation to his ring and pinky finger at night.  He got 3 different rings off of amazon for about $20 each.  So no great dollar amounts are lost here.  But each one hasn't been fitting right or has felt weird to him.  We are going to go to a local jeweler next week to first make sure he is getting the correct size, and second I'm going to see if I can get him to try on something that the jeweler has in stock. Did anyone else have the same issue with their H's ring?  I'm wondering if anyone has any great solutions.  Currently H has tried both a tungsten and ceramic ring.  I'm thinking he is going to have to try something that is white gold or something.  Any other suggestions or ideas we haven't thought of would be appreciated.  Neither one of us want his ring to be painful. 
    I would definitely check him for sizing, my guess is that is off. The sizing should be the same regardless of material made out of though.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Definitely sounds like sizing issues. But in the mean time tell him to just not wear it to bed since that is when the issue seems to occur.

• We have had problems with FI's wedding band as well.  We got a white gold band from Kay's in a 7 1/2 and it was WAY to big.  Exchanged for a 7 and it is so tight his circulation is cut off.  Both sizes were tight going over his knuckle and hurts him when he tries to take them off.

He didn't like most tungsten rings in the stores because of how thick the bands were (from the inside against his finger to the outside top of the ring).  He has slender fingers and they all were so thick it was like adding an additional finger.  No way would that ever be comfortable for him.

Then we ordered a titanium ring from Amazon that was only slightly thicker than the white gold ring we got AND was a comfort fit in a 7 and it fits GREAT.  Slightly too big when his hands are cold, slightly tight when his fingers swell when he is hot, but still comfortable and he can get it off.  

I had never heard of comfort vs regular fit for rings before.  Comfort fit means it is slightly curved on the inside so the middle of the band is thicker than the edges.  This alleviates issues of cutting off circulation when his fingers swell AND make it way more comfortable/easier for him to get on and off.  Regular fit has the inside of the band straight across, so the thickness of the band is the same for the entire width of the band, causing problems with cutting off circulation and making it hard to get on and off.  I probably didn't explain it well, so google it if you haven't heard of the fits.

We are going to see if Kay's can make his white gold ring comfort fit or exchange it for a much larger size and then sell it on eBay.  FI can't wear the regular fit, and they do not do 1/4 sizes in men's rings.

Also, my FI has taken to wearing the band around all the time (wedding is in August) so he can get used to wearing one and make sure the band thickness was going to work for him.  It took him a week, but he says it doesn't feel weird anymore to have it on.  

TL;DR  Try comfort fit AND look for rings online that list the band thickness and shoot for between 2 and 2.5 mm.
  • Sounds like his sizing is off. Just pop over to a jeweler or even go to the jewelry counter at a Macy's or Kohl's and they'll confirm his ring size.
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Definitely sounds like a sizing issue. You will likely have better luck at a jeweler.

We triple checked my partner's ring size before buying a ring off of etsy for his engagement ring. We're so glad we got him an engagement ring because, well, we've learned a lot about what he needs in a wedding ring.

He's very skinny, so a ring that's the right size to fit over his knuckle looks huge on him. It's even more silly looking and loose because he wanted a wider band (6mm) and a comfort band. So it's just way too big on him even though it's the right size. It's also a titanium band, so we can't have it resized.

When you go to the jeweler, make sure he tries on multiple styles if he can, to see if a thinner or thicker band might solve some of the problems. Also make sure you've got the right size; it's good to have his finger sized at two different places, just in case. A resize-able metal is also a good idea--white gold or even silver if you don't want to break the bank. Finally, if he needs to take his ring off at night, that's okay. Not everyone wears their wedding (or engagement) rings to bed anyway.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • This may also have something to do with the width of the bands. If he wears, say, an 8 in a thin band, he may need to go up a size for a larger ring. Technically they are the same diameter inside, but because of the tapering of the finger, larger rings in the same size can feel much tighter.

Get him sized in something that is similar in size/style to the rings he likes. The sizers they have on the loopy thing don't necessarily reflect the fit of all rings.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I agee with PP's. Only thing is you cannot re size tungsten. Or was it another type?Hmm. Anyways I am sure your jeweler can help with the sizing of what you have, or find something he feels better in. GL! :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Tungsten, ceramic, and titanium cannot be resized.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • DH also had sizing issues. He had his finger sized, then tried on rings in the 'correct' size, but they were all uncomfortable. He eventually tried on a 'comfort fit' band, and that worked for him.

He wanted a thicker (top-to-bottom) band; his is about 8 mm. But the tapering for the comfort fit inside really helped.

Also, right after we got married, he complained in the mornings that his left hand hurt because of his ring. I happened to wake up before him one morning and realised it's because he was used to sleeping with his left hand curled up under his head, and he was putting pressure on his ring/hand, and it was cutting off circulation. 

He stopped sleeping like that, and stopped having the tingling problem.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Personally I can't wear my ring to bed. The fingers, they swell. I don't mind removing it and putting it back on, and resizing isn't the answer for me because it fits perfectly 90% of the time and actually gets a little loose (but not so loose that it will fall off) when I'm cold. Since my fingers are more often cold than not when I'm awake, I just live with the fact that the ring comes off for bed.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Thank you all for your suggestions.  I too suggested to H to not wear a band at night, and to just try for the day time.  I think right now he is just over the rings he purchased and we are waiting for the jeweler to get back into town. (He had a convention to go to in vegas this weekend).  I think he purchased another ceramic ring online that is listed as a comfort fit, but I'll ask the jeweler if he has any in stock that H can try.  All I can say is I'm glad I didn't secretly get his ring engraved!  I thought about it, but I decided against it.
    Oh and in case you're all wondering why we are waiting for this particular jeweler is because he is super nice, and not in the least bit pushy.  So we know if we go in there with all kinds of questions he won't be putting pressure on us.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards