Chit Chat
Options

Clinking glasses for couple to kiss

2»

Re: Clinking glasses for couple to kiss

• Options
    FFIL REALLY REALLY wants to do this. I have seen it at weddings (and thank you brunches the morning after the wedding), and I hate it. If anyone besides FFIL does it, I will flat-out ignore it. FFIL gets special treatment.

I told FFIL he's getting tyson chicken nuggets for dinner, and everyone at his table is getting paper cups and plates due to his tomfoolery. I will not follow through, but if he starts dinging a LOT, I want to go to his table and put the paper cup and plate down just for display. They might be sesame street plates. I haven't decided.

The sound ITSELF is annoying, but the "I WANT YOU TO KISS YOUR H IN FRONT OF EVERYONE AT MY COMMAND" thing irritates the hell out of me.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    phira said:
    My partner wants to make silly "So you're going to sit through a wedding" programs for the wedding, and if we do, it'll say something along the lines of:

Will you kiss if I clink my glass?

We will not. J doesn't care for the tradition, and phira wasn't even aware that it was a thing. We're sure we'll kiss plenty!
    You mean like this? http://offbeatbride.com/2011/12/funny-wedding-program
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @KGold80 That's where we got the program idea, but we're not replacing it with anything like giant D&D dice.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    I hate it when it's done over and over again, especially when people try and purposeful interrupt the couple when they are chatting with others, or trying to give their toasts, or all the way across the room from each other. I saw that at a wedding where it was such a ridiculous amount that the couple just started ignoring it.

I've never been crazy about the idea, but my plan for my own wedding was to indulge the guests a bit, but ignore if it was ridiculous. Thankfully the clinking was very spaced out, rare, and only at appropriate moments (soon after we first got there, after my husband's toast, after cutting the cake... maybe one other time I forgot.)
  • Options
    Friends of mine called out random couples to kiss instead of them. That stopped it fast.

You could always just get plastic cups like my dad! Clinking becomes faint tapping. :-p

I like the idea of clinking along looking around in bewilderment like you're wondering what all the fuss is about. Maybe then people will realize how dumb it is.

• Options

phira said:
    @KGold80 That's where we got the program idea, but we're not replacing it with anything like giant D&D dice.
    DH games a lot so he wanted to get giant dice and have different rolls mean different things. I left that up to him and he didn't get to it. When it was clear he wasn't going to get giant dice on time he decided we should bring our Swiss cow bell (he's Swiss-Canadian) and people would ring that when they wanted us to kiss. Some how, the cow bell wasn't on my packing list and it just happened to get left behind.

Anniversary
  • Options
    A haiku to make us all feel better about how much we are not into clinking glasses:

Clink your glass, sure thing
    I'll kiss my husband but you
    Fuckin' kiss my ass

Put that on pinterest.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Friends of mine called out random couples to kiss instead of them. That stopped it fast. You could always just get plastic cups like my dad! Clinking becomes faint tapping. :-p I like the idea of clinking along looking around in bewilderment like you're wondering what all the fuss is about. Maybe then people will realize how dumb it is.
    This was basically me at our e-party.  For some reason I thought that meant someone was going to give a toast.  So I was really confused when Fi started kissing me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Friends of mine called out random couples to kiss instead of them. That stopped it fast. You could always just get plastic cups like my dad! Clinking becomes faint tapping. :-p I like the idea of clinking along looking around in bewilderment like you're wondering what all the fuss is about. Maybe then people will realize how dumb it is.
    This was basically me at our e-party.  For some reason I thought that meant someone was going to give a toast.  So I was really confused when Fi started kissing me.
    I had NEVER heard of that before I moved up to New England! Clinking glasses always meant someone was giving a toast, so I was always like wait why are we dinging? Isn't someone going to talk?
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    phiraphira member
    beethery said:
    I had NEVER heard of that before I moved up to New England! Clinking glasses always meant someone was giving a toast, so I was always like wait why are we dinging? Isn't someone going to talk?
    New Englander for life here, and I always thought clinking a glass = someone was going to speak.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    phira said:
    beethery said:
    New Englander for life here, and I always thought clinking a glass = someone was going to speak.
    That is good to know, I've seen it at all the weddings I've been to up here (FFIL and his childish ass was at 2 of them), but none in my home state so I just thought it was some weird NE thing. At one wedding I was like, ok I will ding as well where the hell is the speech-giving person????

And then I realized it was the MOB who would. not. stop. Even at the brunch the next MORNING she wouldn't cut the shit.

Let me tell you, that dinging does not go well with a hangover.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    phiraphira member
    beethery said:
    phira said:
    beethery said:
    That is good to know, I've seen it at all the weddings I've been to up here (FFIL and his childish ass was at 2 of them), but none in my home state so I just thought it was some weird NE thing. At one wedding I was like, ok I will ding as well where the hell is the speech-giving person????

And then I realized it was the MOB who would. not. stop. Even at the brunch the next MORNING she wouldn't cut the shit.

If my mom does that, you will not believe the death glare she's gonna get from me. SO much hell no.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    beethery said:
    phira said:
    beethery said:

That's grounds for confiscating her silverware. Don't worry though, it happens to the best of us. That's how they tried to kick me out of the all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet in college. Didn't explicitly ask me to leave, but I came back with more crab legs and all my silverware was gone. Joke was on them, I didn't need a fork for that.

• Options
    beethery said:
    beethery said:
    phira said:
    beethery said:

That's grounds for confiscating her silverware. Don't worry though, it happens to the best of us. That's how they tried to kick me out of the all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet in college. Didn't explicitly ask me to leave, but I came back with more crab legs and all my silverware was gone. Joke was on them, I didn't need a fork for that.
    I said it on the first page, I don't want it to come to that, but if FFIL will not CUT THE SHIT with the dinging, he is getting presented with this setup:

That's fair.
  • Options
    Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    This seems to be a huge thing in the NY area. I saw a couple who high-fived every time and eventually they left them alone. But geez let the bride and groom eat in peace!
  • Options
    AlexaF2014AlexaF2014 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited May 2014
    The last wedding I went to, the table of total strangers I was assigned to discussed this. First plan was no silverware, just finger food. When I demonstrated that I could clink the glass loud enough with just my ring (that's what you get for making FI sit at the wedding party table w/o me, glaring B&G! haha!), we then decided that everything would have to be paper. Paper plates, paper bowls, and Dixie paper cups. No metal anywhere, like we're hosting Magneto. Still, not something I would mind at my reception. Maybe just because I haven't experienced yet. ETF: Stupid paragraphs!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards