Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Petite or Normal Size?

I just bought my dress this past weekend at David's Bridal and was thinking about alterations and how they'll probably need to cut some off of the bottom since i'm 5' 2". So I went online and tried finding the length of the dress and ended up seeing the option of getting a petite sized dress. I know if you're 5' 4" or shorter you'll probably need to get your dress in petite. I was thinking on getting heels around 2 inches tall to be comfy in them but that's still not over the 5' 4" if I do. I know I can save money by having less alterations but I need advice on whether I should leave it as is or call them to change the order to a petite sized.

Re: Petite or Normal Size?

• Options
    As far as length goes, if the bodice fit you fine, I would leave it.  Which dress do you have?  Depending on the dress - taking 4 inches off the skirt vs taking 8 inches off the skirt may not change the price of the alterations.  If you need to raise necklines and shorten the waist and things like that, it might be worth it.  When you were picking your dress out, did you talk to alterations so they could show you what would need changed?  If not, you could always go back, try your dress on again and ask to speak with the alterations department to see what changes will need to be made and get their recommendation.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I would stick with the regular size. In my experience (I don't know about wedding gowns) petite sizing does not only affect the length but the fit as well. 

• Options
    The dress that I tried on fit lovely. Plus it going to touch the floor and drape some. They said they would only need to make it smaller by half an inch but didn't say much about the length and I didn't even think about that til now. But thank you for your advice, I really appreciate that :)
  • Options
    I work at DB so I can tell you that petite is three inches shorter in the hem and one inch shorter in the bodice. It's a good option but 5'4" is definitely the tallest I would advise someone to get petite, and keep in mind that if the bodice fit you well you should stay with the regular size.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards