Not Engaged Yet
Options

Quirks

ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
edited June 2014 in Not Engaged Yet
What quirks do you ladies have? Or your SO's have. Apparently, I have several that I never noticed until FI and I started dating. He pointed them out to me and still does anytime I do them.

I do this thing FI and I call "cricket feet" when I'm laying in bed where I rub my feet together. It doesn't last long; maybe a couple seconds, but I never realized I did it until FI and I slept in bed together the first time and he was like "...WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" I don't know why I do it...I think its a soothing thing. I will also slightly rock myself which I think is also a soothing technique. FI always says jokingly, "Quit rocking, you weirdo!"

I never finish the last sip of a drink. Again, I don't know why. I never paid attention and didn't realize I did it until FI asked me one day why I did it. I guess I just don't like the last sip? I just never want to drink it.

I have to sleep in socks. HAVE TO.

The bedroom has to be pitch black. If I see light coming out from under the door I will focus on that line of light and not be able to fall asleep. I'm getting better at dealing with this now that we live in the city, but I grew up in the country where there were no street lights so my bedroom was always as black as black can be.

I have to have 3 kisses from FI when I ask for a kiss...because it just feels right.

I'm sure I have more that I just can't think of right now.
Anniversary

Re: Quirks

• Options

FI does the same thing- rubs his feet together a few minutes when he first tries going to sleep.  We go to bed at different times on the week day so I don't notice it then but on the weekends I do and it vibrated the bed sometimes. 

I'm sure I have some very weird quirks, I'm tired and have a lot going on at work- I just can't think of any....

Anniversary

• Options
    My thing is that I have to sit on the left side of the plane. I'm getting anxious just thinking about flying Southwest in a few months where it's unassigned seating. If I don't set on the left side, I'm nervous a lot more than I usually am.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    PepperallyPepperally member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    I do a lot of feet/leg movement in bed. I also just do a lot of shaking/bouncing my leg when I'm sitting...like fast...it's mostly when I'm tired and trying to stay awake, but he is always asking me to stop it. I'm sure there are many more things that he notices that I don't...just can't think of any at the moment. Sometimes I will leave something on top of our kitchen garbage can b/c I know it's too big or takes up too much room inside the garbage can...he said that drives him nuts. He, on the other hand, well, I can't even go there. It drives me nuts that he is so absolutely obsessively clean about certain things...and other things he doesn't even care if they ever get cleaned. I just don't get it. I'm at least consistent in my degree of cleanliness with things around the house. I have paragraphs but TK doesn't seem to care.
  • Options
    I usually have to write everything down. I've kept an agenda for the longest time and I get stressed easily if I can't remember what I had to do that day so keeping a schedule and writing down all my tasks keeps me sane.

I cocoon myself in my sheets no matter how hot it is. I can't sleep without sheets and my duvet on me.

I can't go to sleep with dirty dishes in the sink. I've been scarred for life when I was in college and my roommates would leave their infinite dirty dishes in the sink and I'd wake up to fruit flies all over the place. I will never let that happen again lol.

I'm very routine based so if my day gets thrown off and I forget something at home or in general just forget to do something like put on deodorant then I'm super frustrated the rest of the day lol.
  • Options
    @peaseblossom55 @pepperally I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does weird feet things in their sleep.  FI sleeps like a rock, he barely moves. I'm all over the place.  I also talk in my sleep. A lot. One night I said "MMMHMM!!" really loud in my sleep and scared FI half to death. 2 nights ago I rolled over towards FI and said, "No, thats okay. I got it."  I've also laughed in my sleep which I can only imagine is terrifying to hear.
    Anniversary

• Options
    This is hard to think of on the spot! I don't know if this is a "quirk" really, but FI sleep talks like crazy. I just love it, I usually write down what he says so I can tell him the next day because it's so funny. A year or two ago while asleep, he told me I was his circle. I told him about it later and it became something we said to each other. Then he said it during his proposal speech (that's the only part I really remember!) and my e-ring band has little circles in it, haha, I had no idea at the time it would turn into a big thing :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @severmilli12 I talk in my sleep all the time. @Lapeanut1018 used to have a room that was connected to mine by a bathroom and she would hear me talking in my sleep in the middle of the night. H likes to wake up in the morning and tell me what I said the previous night lol. I can't imagine how creepy that must be for others to hear me lol.
  • Options
    @carliealissa thats hilarious! I love when FI sleep talks. FI is always really paranoid about losing the diamond in my engagement ring because its a family heirloom so one time, at like 3 am, he grabbed my hand while I was asleep (waking me up of course) and yelled "WHERES THE DIAMOND!?" So I freaked out thinking he was awake and happened to notice my diamond was missing....

It was still in my ring. He was clearly sleep talking.
    Anniversary

• Options
    When I eat donuts - which is fairly rarely - I always get some form of filled one - and I always eat it upside down. I peal the "bottom" off and rip it up and dip it in the filling. BF thinks I'm a weirdo.

I have to wrap myself up when I sleep - BF calls in "Burritoing" . . . . haha it cracks me up!!

BF can't handle wet hair - he gags if I come and lay on him right out of the shower. And its his job to clean the bathroom (I HATE cleaning the bathroom. He HATES doing laundry - so I do the laundry (I actually enjoy doing it. . . ) - he has to clean the bathroom), and he will get a BIG wad of paper towels to pick up my loose hairs - I think its hysterical. 

And when I'm done eating, if I'm not taking the food home/packing up the leftovers - I play with my food. And most of the time I don't realize I'm doing it until the food is a big globby mess on my plate. Apparently I've been doing this forever. 
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Options
    I rub my feet together when I'm falling asleep, too. Also, I "hug" my pillow - I guess that's the best way to describe it. Really what it means is I sandwich my pillow between my head and my arm.

I can't think of any quirks FI has. Probably that means I've learned to live with them so thoroughly that it's just like "oh that's just FI, not weird at all."
  • Options
    LabLove86 said:
    When I eat donuts - which is fairly rarely - I always get some form of filled one - and I always eat it upside down. I peal the "bottom" off and rip it up and dip it in the filling. BF thinks I'm a weirdo.

I have to wrap myself up when I sleep - BF calls in "Burritoing" . . . . haha it cracks me up!!

BF can't handle wet hair - he gags if I come and lay on him right out of the shower. And its his job to clean the bathroom (I HATE cleaning the bathroom. He HATES doing laundry - so I do the laundry (I actually enjoy doing it. . . ) - he has to clean the bathroom), and he will get a BIG wad of paper towels to pick up my loose hairs - I think its hysterical. 

And when I'm done eating, if I'm not taking the food home/packing up the leftovers - I play with my food. And most of the time I don't realize I'm doing it until the food is a big globby mess on my plate. Apparently I've been doing this forever. 
    I think this is genius!
  • Options
    @severmilli12 I never knew anyone who did that before with the feet thing.  FI claims I toss and turn quite a bit in my sleep, no talking though.....

Anniversary

• Options
    @carliealissa thats hilarious! I love when FI sleep talks. FI is always really paranoid about losing the diamond in my engagement ring because its a family heirloom so one time, at like 3 am, he grabbed my hand while I was asleep (waking me up of course) and yelled "WHERES THE DIAMOND!?" So I freaked out thinking he was awake and happened to notice my diamond was missing....

LMAO that is so great!!  A lot of times I can tell he is having stress dreams about work based on the terminology. 

Here's a couple I put in my phone.

"Victumone, victumone, I'm talkin about, um, what's it called... Victumone... Are you familiar?  Are you familiar with Victumone?  I don't know either really but it's like some type of contractor something or other."  (I usually talk back to him and ask him questions to egg him on.  At a certain point he starts to wake up a little and gets confused when he realizes he doesn't have any idea what he's talking about lol)

"Oh geeze, ahhhhhh, geeze, toaster, a toaster item."

That one reminds me, he will also sit bolt upright in bed in the middle of complete sleep and just stare like he's staring at something.  Then he kind of wakes up and looks confused.  It's so creepy.  Or he will grab his arm or something and start making that breath intake sound like he's in terrible pain, out of nowhere.  He has major sleeping issues haha!

And yikes as romantic as it is I'm kind of glad my stone is not an heirloom, I know I will feel shitty enough when I inevitably lose it (I mean how can I not lose it once over the next 60 years?!)  My ring has already lost one of the tiny halo diamonds, but at least that wasn't my fault.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Haha thanks @southernpeach89!!! It'll change you're donut eating life!! hahaha @KeptinStitches - I also "hug" my pillow!! I know exactly what you're saying! So comfortable!

• Options
    LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    I do the feet thing too. I also have to sleep furthest from the door. When I was little I saw a scary movie and I had this huge fear that if I slept closest to the door, then if someone came in to murder those in the room I would be first and I didn't want to be. Completely irrational but to this day I have to be the furthest away or I can't sleep. BF has to have all the sheets pulled as tight as they go and neatly placed. There can't be any wrinkles AT ALL. He will strip the whole bed and make it again to get it that way.
    friends tv show funy
  • Options
    LabLove86 said:

Oh my god, maybe this is my thing!! I could barely stand to read that... I don't think anything on earth grosses me out as much as long hair that is not attached to a head!  The funny thing is it's always MY hair... which is really long, and somehow always covering our house (not sure how I'm not bald).  Vacuuming it up, fine I can do that, but cleaning wet hair out of the drains... I could just gag thinking about that!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

LMAO that is so great!!  A lot of times I can tell he is having stress dreams about work based on the terminology. 

Here's a couple I put in my phone.

"Victumone, victumone, I'm talkin about, um, what's it called... Victumone... Are you familiar?  Are you familiar with Victumone?  I don't know either really but it's like some type of contractor something or other."  (I usually talk back to him and ask him questions to egg him on.  At a certain point he starts to wake up a little and gets confused when he realizes he doesn't have any idea what he's talking about lol)

"Oh geeze, ahhhhhh, geeze, toaster, a toaster item."

That one reminds me, he will also sit bolt upright in bed in the middle of complete sleep and just stare like he's staring at something.  Then he kind of wakes up and looks confused.  It's so creepy.  Or he will grab his arm or something and start making that breath intake sound like he's in terrible pain, out of nowhere.  He has major sleeping issues haha!

And yikes as romantic as it is I'm kind of glad my stone is not an heirloom, I know I will feel shitty enough when I inevitably lose it (I mean how can I not lose it once over the next 60 years?!)  My ring has already lost one of the tiny halo diamonds, but at least that wasn't my fault.

That would be terrifying!! I sleep with my eyes partially open and it creeps FI out...it probably is really creepy. I have big eyeballs so I think they're just too big for my eyelids...thats my excuse to him, any way :)
    Anniversary

• Options
    LabLove86 said:

I DO THIS TOO!  He asks me to stop it and I don't even realize I'm doing it. 
  • Options

@Severmilli12 - I do the three kisses thing too with H.  :)

Sleeping quirks for me include the fact that I have to have one foot or one hand outside of the covers.  Regulating my own temperature? I don't know. Oh, and I have to sleep on my right side and the side of the bed furthest from the door.

H has wierd laundry quirks (at least to me).  He won't wash underware or socks with towels because he thinks they will make the towels more dirty.  :)

H also won't eat (if he is drinking beer/wine) until he is done drinking.  I think that one is so he gets more buzzed.  ;)

• Options
    @severmilli12 - I also do the feet thing. Like I'll rub my feet together as if I'm trying to start a fire. 

@Pepperally - BF is the SAME way with his legs. I swear it's like RLS or something. He will just bounce and bounce and bounce. The man cannot sit still. If we're sitting really quietly and we're close enough that my seat moves, I usually ask him to stop. He's also weird with his cleaning too. Like the kitchen is spotless, spit shined and everything, but he couldn't care less about the bathroom. Which to me, I want my bathroom really clean too. It's so weird.

I talk a lot in my sleep. BF will talk to me sometimes and try to figure out what I'm dreaming about.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I also do the feet thing when I get into bed.

I HAVE to have my butt covered. Doesn't matter how hot it is, I have to at least have the sheet over my butt. I also usually sleep with a foot out, and have to be furthest from the door.

I eat sandwich-type things (sandwiches, burgers, etc.) from the outside in. I always hated crusts, but my mom refused to cut them off, so to this day, I will eat all the way around the outside to get all the crusts off, and then eat the middle. 

I rarely wear matching socks. As long as they're the same brand, I'm good. For example, I have a lot of Puma athletic socks - they are either gray or white, with different colored Puma logos on them. As long as they're both Puma socks, I'm good.

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    When I get out of the shower, I dry off in the same way every time. First I wring out my hair.  Then I dry my face, neck, left arm, right arm, torso, right leg, left leg, back, then wrap the towel in my hair. If I do it any other way, I don't feel dry.

I HATE the sound of cracking ice. It really freaks me out.

I can NOT sleep on my back. 

90% of the time that I vomit, I also have diarrhea simultaneously, so I normally end up vomiting into a trash can.  This is why I always keep a plastic bag liner in my bathroom trash, and why I only buy plastic trash cans for the bathroom.

I'm very superstitious, and if too many weird things happen in a short time frame, I get holy water from the church and bless everything, even the cats.

• Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    This was hilarious to read!!! 

I have a lot of weird quirks.  I hate anything bumpy, like a cluster of bumps freaks me the eff out.  I haven't done this in a long time but I use to wake up screaming at the top of my lungs about spiders, or that my daughter was floating at the ceiling. I absolutely cannot get into an unmade bed.. it can be messy all day long for all I care but I must make it before I get in. I have to knock on the windshield 2 times if I go through a yellow light.. and I drink pickle juice like nobody's business.

My FI is a mechanic and I've caught him reaching up in his sleep like he's standing under a car and working on it.  
  • Options

Forgot one of H's.  He won't eat sandwiches for dinner.  Lunch/Brunch? Yes.  Dinner? No...not even a burger.  Also, breakfast for dinner is out.

Oh and he has to have two (not one, not three) cups of tea on Saturday and Sunday morning each before he will eat any food.

H and I both make a face (not sure who's quirk it was first) when we are trying to explain something complicated to the other person.  Its like one side of our lip goes up in an upward grimmace.  Hard to explain but we each rib each other for doing it.

• Options
    LabLove86 said:

I DO THIS TOO!  He asks me to stop it and I don't even realize I'm doing it. 
    OMG I'm so happy I'm not the only one who does this!!! It drives my friends and family NUTS! But it is completely 100% absent-mindedly! 

• Options
    When I get out of the shower, I dry off in the same way every time. First I wring out my hair.  Then I dry my face, neck, left arm, right arm, torso, right leg, left leg, back, then wrap the towel in my hair. If I do it any other way, I don't feel dry.

I HATE the sound of cracking ice. It really freaks me out.

I can NOT sleep on my back. 

90% of the time that I vomit, I also have diarrhea simultaneously, so I normally end up vomiting into a trash can.  This is why I always keep a plastic bag liner in my bathroom trash, and why I only buy plastic trash cans for the bathroom.

I'm very superstitious, and if too many weird things happen in a short time frame, I get holy water from the church and bless everything, even the cats.

I"m like this but with actually TAKING the shower - it has to be in a certain order - face, shampoo, shave, body wash, condition - if I do this out of order - I don't feel clean and I have to start over and do it all again.

• Options
    FI and I recently showered together...not a naughty shower, just having fun scrubbing each other, etc. I cleaned him what I thought was very well. I was ready to get out and he insisted on staying in the shower and washing himself all over again.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    @severmilli12 I have "cricket feet" too! I never really noticed I did it until FI said something- it drives him nuts.....just read through the comments and I see this is pretty common!..TK won't give me paragraphs, sorry. I also have to do things in a certain order in the shower, towel off in a certain order and then clean my ears, brush my teeth, tone and moisturize my face, lotion my body. HAS to be in that order

• Options
    I think I do the cricket feet thing too, but mostly it's to warm up my extremely cold feet. I don't really notice I do it though.

I often leave words out of sentences, or never complete sentences and not notice. It drives BF crazy. I'm especially bad at leaving "to be" out of sentences. For example, I'll say "This needs washed" instead of "This needs to be washed." My mother and grandmother do the same thing and it gets worse when I spend time with them. BF is constantly saying USE ALL YOUR WORDS!

BF is constantly making random sounds. And they're normally very loud random sounds. It's annoying and it's taken a lot of getting used to. 

This may be TMI or gross, but I have to pop pimples, even when they're on BF. Once I notice them it's hard for me not to notice or pay attention to them until I pop it. We have an agreement about it though, as BF has pretty bad acne and it's basically a constant thing on his face/back. 

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Sometimes I have a hard time falling asleep if I don't feel like I'm in the "right" position, so I'll shift around until it feels "right" and then fall asleep within minutes at most. I think it bugs FI because he'll have found something comfortable and I keep shifting both of us around (we usually spoon together when we fall asleep). I like my room to be cold at night so I can sleep under my duvet. I don't like sleeping with just a sheet or nothing at all. FI on the other hand would prefer to have the room be warm and not sleep with anything covering him. @FoxandBunny‌ I'm also a pimple popper! I admit it! I lovvvee searching out blackheads and pimples on FI and then popping them. He hates it but I just can't ignore them sometimes. Luckily his acne isn't horrible but I still.pop the ones I see when I get the chance. @southernpeach89‌ and I used stand in front of the bathroom mirror and pop our pimples together when we were teens.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards