Wedding Reception Forum
Options

After party ideas

I hope this is the right place to post this! I feel like it could fall into a number of different areas. We will probably be opting for a Saturday afternoon wedding in October 2015, and due to the wedding time/time of year we are likely to come in a little under budget. We were thinking of throwing a slightly more elaborate after party than just going back to the hotel bar to hang out (although that is also an option!). Has anyone ever thrown an after party by renting a food truck? We love the idea, as we're in NY and frequent them in NYC, but I'm not sure how the logistics would play out. Would we rent another space? Get a permit for a park? What if it rains then? Rent a tent? If anyone has any ideas, please offer them! Thank you!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: After party ideas

• Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Having an after party could be a really fun idea. But I will caution. If you are having a planned after party (meaning all guests are invited, not just saying "hey meet us at XYZ after the reception") then it needs to be properly hosted, just like the reception.

So while, I love the idea of a food truck, it leaves a ton of details not accounted for. I can only assume you would need to rent another space or extended your contract for your current venue. You would also need seats and beverages.

My suggestion would be to let everyone know (by word of mouth) that you are going to a bar/ restaurant/ hotel room/ etc after the reception concludes. Then, with the extra money you have in your budget, open up a tab and cover the drinks. Once you have reached your quota, close the tab. Then guests can decide if they want to keep partying or go home.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

If you are trying to come in under budget hosting an after party may not help you do that. If you are having your reception at a place that is catering the food themselves, they may not permit a food truck there as they are losing out then on you buying more food from them. If it's a location where you have to already bring in your own caterer, then they may allow it. So assuming you might have to change locations, then you have to rent the location, rent the food truck (which where I live, you can expect to pay $10.00 per person on a food truck meal & probably more if they are catering a private event. You also have to plan for beverages, set up & clean up. So basically you're hosting a full second event. Personally I think it would be easier to see if you can coordinate with the hotel to have apps available at the bar or if they have a smaller private room you can rent with apps & bar service. This way any guests who are staying at the hotel can go up to their rooms and change into something more comfortable and you can relax. Or do you have a favorite bar/resturant that can do something for you?

• Options
    I think it depends on where you're having your wedding. We hosted a separate after party. Our wedding venue was a private country club. We rented out one of their villas and had food and alcohol brought there after the wedding for everyone who wanted to join us. We also had several people spend the night since there were bedrooms there. It worked out really nicely, but I think the key to pulling off something like that or with a food truck is to have it in a different location than your reception.
  • Options
    we are also doing an after-party (open to all) but we don't really expect many to come as it's an older crowd.

Our reception is a fancy dinner in a 5* restaurant and will likely be over and done with by 7:30 so we are going to have a barbeque and keg back at the house.  Some fruit/cheese trays, water, juice, burgers, hot dogs, and beer.  Just a nice laid back evening with the bonfire pit in the backyard.
  • Options
    LDay2014 said:
    we are also doing an after-party (open to all) but we don't really expect many to come as it's an older crowd.

Our reception is a fancy dinner in a 5* restaurant and will likely be over and done with by 7:30 so we are going to have a barbeque and keg back at the house.  Some fruit/cheese trays, water, juice, burgers, hot dogs, and beer.  Just a nice laid back evening with the bonfire pit in the backyard.
    This is totally the atmosphere I'm going for, but without having anyone come back to the house. We would definitely have to have it off site since there will be another wedding there after ours. I was thinking kegs and wine, and a food truck at a local state park picnic site. Thank you all for the input! The hotel bar would definitely be the easier, less expensive, and convenient route, and this is the way we'll go if the alternative becomes too complicated, or is not feasible. I like the apps at the bar idea! We've never been to a hosted after party, and I think I would like to provide something for my guests so they're more encouraged to come.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I am doing something similar to this. Not really an after party. It is more of some friends are just meeting up afterwards and we might hang out for little bit or go get dinner and celebrate.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards