Not Engaged Yet

Let's Shop for Cake Toppers

I made an appointment with our baker for cake tasting in August (YES). She wants us to give her the dimensions of our cake topper. I have NO IDEA what to get. At first I wanted to get a custom cake topper from Etsy with FI and I and the fur babies, but I don't know if I want to go that way or something more simple. I keep going towards that choice since the only things my parents have from their wedding are their cake topper, toasting glasses and their pictures. Everything else was thrown out by my maternal grandmother. So the sentimental side of me wants the custom cake topper, but the stylish part of me thinks it won't go with the whole "look" of the reception.

Did you get your cake topper yet? What is it? OMHs, what cake toppers did you use?

If you find something on Etsy for me, please to share.

Thanks <3

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
image 36 Yes
image 2 No
image 21 Unknown

Re: Let's Shop for Cake Toppers

• ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    We looked at cake toppers for weeks. There were several we liked but FI really wanted our last name initial to be the cake topper. I couldn't find any that I liked under $50.  Since FI felt so strongly about having our initial, I made ours.
    Anniversary

• edited June 2014
    I thought about getting something custom from Etsy but we decided with our baker that we would like fresh flowers on top of the cake instead. So essentially we didn't have a cake topper besides those flowers.

We wanted these cute wooden hearts with our names and wedding date on them and then we thought about getting our last name initial. I ended up really loving the look of the bright flowers on top though.

ETA: Here is what our cake topper looked like:
  • We actually don't have a cake topper.  We thought about it and went back and forth on the cake design and vision, instead we have about $350 of roses and peonies cascading down the cake. A cake topper would make it look too busy we decided.

If I did get something we would have probably found a nice gold sparkly letter S for our last name.

Anniversary

• @severmilli12 I thought about DIYing a cake topper, but I'm so tired of adding another thing on the DIY list! Do you have pics?

@twodimes here's the link to the topper I was originally thinking of getting: clicky

@southernpeach89 & @peaseblossom55 I was thinking flowers too, like a cluster of red roses on the top, but I'm leaning towards a simple design with the cake like a basic white frosting with free-formed black swirls. Also, @peaseblossom55 4 DAYS!!!!

@Keptinstiches I like that topper! I would do the initials of your first names, I think that topper is really nice!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    We are just doing simple cream colored roses on the top and the tiers of our cake. Getting a cake topper wasn't a major priority for me I guess.

• Our cake will probably be Doctor Who related so we're thinking of having the baker in mind make a Tardis with FI and I coming out of it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @buddysmom80 I feel ya. I have done so many DIY projects that at this point, I'm tired of doing them :\
    Here's our cake topper. I still have to add a stake to the bottom of it, I'm just lazy and haven't done it.

Anniversary

• @severmilli12 that looks great!!!!!!! Can you make one for me too? Thanks. I actually might show it to FI to see how he feels about a cake topper like that. I would do mine in black and then a few crystals, then maybe some flowers too. Gahhhh, all these decisions......

@lapeanut1018 I thought about cake toppers for all of one hour, then forgot about it until I called the baker!

@blackbird230 that's a cute idea!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • @Buddysmom80 ahh I know 4 days it's so weird!!!! It feels like a dream.  The only downfall to flowers is that there is nothing to keep afterwards the flowers will be taken off to cut the cake and die, but neither of us were too concerned about that. 

Anniversary

• BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    @Peaseblossom55  that is so exciting!!! 

@severmilli12 I am in LOVE with your cake topper.  I've loved every DIY you've shared with us, I can't wait until you share pictures of your event so I can see it all come together! 

• I really like this Etsy vendor's stuff: https://www.etsy.com/shop/Chikipita

I've been thinking about asking her to do some Nightmare Before Christmas ones just to have around the house. BF reminds me a lot of Jack, and we watch the movie every year at Christmas, so I thought they'd be cute Christmas or Halloween decor. I think she makes these though primarily to be cake toppers.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @BreMR awe, well thanks!!  I can't wait to see how everything will come together.
    Anniversary

• @buddysmom80 thanks! It was so easy and cheap and took literally 10 minutes. Everything I was looking at on Etsy that was similar to what I wanted was at least $35. I made ours for $10. 
    Anniversary

• TwoDimes said:
    @KeptinStitches, that tree is really neat!

@Buddysmom80, thanks for the link.

I think that custom cake topper is freaking ADORABLE, and it would be so much fun to have that keepsake of you guys and Buddy and Quigley! But at the same time, I can see how it may not fit your other wedding decor. You can't really go wrong with an initial or fresh flowers.

The more I think about it though, the topper is custom designed to your outfits, etc so it could work. I don't know, I have to show FI what the choices are and see what he says. Even though I was all amped up to DIY something a few posts ago, I'm now like "meh, I'll just buy something"

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Haha love this topic. So, first I've had my heart set on those bird toppers for years- http://www.bhldn.com/product/perfect-pair-cake-topper

I did my usual "I'm not spending money I can make that", and dove headfirst into figuring out how to make them. Mind you I've never picked up a needle and thread in my life, and they didn't come out anything like the originals. I still thought they were really cute though. I made a small army of birds. I was all, I can sell these on etsy. Then, as usually happens, I got sick of looking at them and no longer wanted them on our cake. Lol.

At one point FI's mom brought up the cake topper that was on her parents' cake. We loved it right away because it is sentimental, and they are kind of iconic 1920's so they fit our theme much better. They will be checking into the doll hospital and should look much better after some cosmetic surgery. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    @carliealissa I'm pretty much in love with that bird.  Probably not for my own personal cake but just to have in general. It's adorable. I also love that you have a family heirloom topper!!  Since we're having a destination wedding and our cake is included with our package we'll probably just do some flowers on top.  I do like the initial idea, but my last name initial isn't changing (going from an R last name to an R last name) so it holds a little less excitement for me. 
  • @BreMR, thanks! And ooh, that's funny- I would be way more likely to use the initial topper if we had the same last initial! Lucky you- I'm over here having existential crisises about monograms, having the same last initial would solve all my problems haha! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I haven't decided if we're doing one. I would almost just rather have fresh flowers on the cake. If not we will be going with our initial "G" like Sev.

• Fiance and I both have a first name that starts with "M", if we did an initial... it would probably be that. But we like the cute animals. We're saps. 

I do think we're going to just buy M&Ms around Easter to get the pastel colors for favors. No personalizing required! 
  • I went to a wedding recently where the cake toppers were wedding-related Pez dispensers. The bride collected them, so it was really cute. Do you either of you have any collections or hobbies that you could turn into a cake topper?

• @BreMR my last name initial won't change either I'm staying an S. 

Anniversary

• @weewittlewizabeth we really don't have a lot of hobbies in common except for our furbabies (we're lame) so that's why I'm having such a hard time making a decision.

For everyone who had flowers (@southernpeach89, @lapeanut1018 and @peaseblossom55) how did you coordinate this with your florist and baker or did they do it for you? I mean, did you have to make sure the flowers were delivered before the cake or vice-versa?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • For everyone who had flowers (@southernpeach89, @lapeanut1018 and @peaseblossom55) how did you coordinate this with your florist and baker or did they do it for you? I mean, did you have to make sure the flowers were delivered before the cake or vice-versa?

I was lucky in that my baker and my florist knew each other so they coordinated but if you tell your baker that your florist will be topping the cake with flowers then I'm sure they will need to know the amount of flowers going on top so they will know how big to make the top tier. The cake was delivered first and my florist came by and topped the cake with the flowers at the venue.
  • My florist and baker are in the same shopping center so I showed the picture I found on pinterest of what I wanted the cake to look like, showed it to them both and after my cake meeting which was at the end of April just to verify the design I wanted. The basis was the picture below, however our is square, offset and only 3 layers. The flowers will be pink instead.

Anniversary

• Ours looks like @severmilli's but it's a W and red and doesn't have bling.  Also we put it on a round platform thing...but that ended up pulling off a ton of frosting off the top of the cake (oops).

We just had a cutting cake (we had a dessert buffet also) so a cake topper was not a priority at all, lol.  The best part was that our guests devoured our cutting cake and a lot of them liked it.  We both forgot to eat dessert after the cake cutting.  Oops :)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton

That's the cake topper that will come with our cake.

My next choice would have been Jack and Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas.

Anniversary
  • Here are some with phrases like "Mr & Mrs," "You're my lobster," "Love", etc... you could do something like that too. https://www.etsy.com/shop/BetterOffWed?section_id=15365909&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2 I really like @swazzle's cake topper, too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards