Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Kauai Hawaii

Whats the best way to travel to Kauai? Its the northern most island in Hawaii. Airline company? We are traveling from Las Vegas (LA can do in a pinch too). Take a boat or fly from Honolulu to Kauai? hotel suggestions? Anything else you want to add. Thanks!

Re: Kauai Hawaii

• Options
    I would fly to Kauai direct if you can. Otherwise, the flight from Oahu to Kauai is really short and super easy. If you go to kayak.com or Expedia and search flights from LAS to LIH, you can see your options and pricing.

• Options
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Fly direct, and if you're on the east coast of the mainland, stay up basically all night before your flight, and sleep on the plane out there. You'll wake up in LIH ready to enjoy it and the time change won't feel so shocking.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    fall2015bridefall2015bride member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2014
    I'm going to Kauai too!!! From what I know, I'm pretty sure only Hawaiian Airlines goes to Kauai because it is less traveled than the other islands. Most of the time I don't think there is direct flights from the mainland. You must first go to Honolulu and then it's about a half hour flight to Lihue Kauai. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I'm going to Kauai too!!! From what I know, I'm pretty sure only Hawaiian Airlines goes to Kauai because it is less traveled than the other islands. Most of the time I don't think there is direct flights from the mainland. You must first go to Honolulu and then it's about a half hour flight to Lihue Kauai. 

United flies direct to Kauai from LAX, DEN, EWR and I think IAD, as does American/USAirways from LAX, PHX, and DFW. Hawaiian would be the only airline direct from LAS, except for maybe Allegiant.

• Options
    I'm actually in Denver, there are no nonstop flights direct to Lihue from United.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've flown from the Newark Airport direct to Lihue. I think you can fly straight there from ATL as well.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Okay, so I wasn't perfect with the airports, but the point is that there are a few options getting into Lihue direct.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    leelabear- where on the island were you thinking about staying? We'd like to stay on the north side. We might look into a nice rental unit because it seems cheaper than the hotels. But I worry about the beds not being soft!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Jells2dot0- Where/which town did you stay when you were on the island?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.
    • Fall2015bride. Good question. I'm not sure what side but the north and west sides look nice. I've been told you can get the best deals the closer to the date you book. My wedding is less than 5 months away and I'm getting really nervous.  
  • Options
    I know you didn't ask me, but my family has always rented condos in the Poipu Beach area. It is fantastic.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I have always stayed on the North side- Princeville. We are Starwood members, so we choose the Westin or St. Regis.

If you are going in Fall, you should be okay, but the north side is a bit rainier than the Poipu area, especially in the winter. Regardless, we still prefer the North.

• Options
    Princeville/Hanalei is where we really want to stay. I'm not sure how many places there are in Kilauea. You're lucky Jells, to stay at the St. Regis! It looks like heaven there! We figure we can probably go there for a nice dinner one evening. Do you know much about condo rentals in the areas at all?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    leelabear said:
    Thanks everyone.
    • Fall2015bride. Good question. I'm not sure what side but the north and west sides look nice. I've been told you can get the best deals the closer to the date you book. My wedding is less than 5 months away and I'm getting really nervous.  
    I'd be getting nervous too! You've got some time left though. How many days do you plan to stay there?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

7-10 days. Depends on how much everything is

• Options
    The Westin property is set up as condos. I think you'll find rates around $300/night+, but if they are having a special, you may be able to get it for less. They have rooms ranging from studios to two bedrooms. I prefer the 1 bedroom premium (larger kitchen.) The rooms also have laundry and access to use BBQs onsite.

• Options
    This is kind of crazy...my fiance started me into researching Hawaii a month before he proposed to me. Tricky, tricky! We knew we wanted to go to Hawaii but weren't sure which islands. Anyway, we decided to spend most of the time on Kauai and a short amount of time on Oahu. We have been watching a lot of DVD's on Kauai and Oahu as well as researching on tripadvisor, Pinterest, etc. I'm like a Kauai/Oahu information vacuum. I love learning as much as I can about the place before I get there!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hi ladies heading to Kauai for your honeymoon! DH and I went in November and LOVED it! We want to go back asap. We live on the east coast and were able to fly from Baltimore to Phoenix to Lihue. We stayed in Poipu.

By far the best/coolest thing we did on our honeymoon was tubing down the sugar cane irrigation ditches with Kauai Backcountry adventures! We also did a luau near Lihue that Had a rum distillery on site that had a free tasting -we timed it so we could do the tasting right before the luau.

If anyone wants more ideas for Kauai send me a message! I have a list I sent a cousin a few weeks ago!
  • Options
    I guess if you're looking to get a last minute special - just be careful.  5 months away is going to be wintertime which is HIGH seasons for Hawaii. Everyone in cold weather regions will be dying to go which means... 1. the cheaper rooms will be left at the places no one wants to go and 2. you might not even be able to get a room (or an upgrade) at nice places which will be all sold out!

I'm also all about condos except for a honeymoon!  You want room service and someone to take care of you!! At least... I would LOL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards