Not Engaged Yet

Question for Married Ladies

500days500days MA member
1000 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary Name Dropper
edited June 2014 in Not Engaged Yet
What type of music did you use for your ceremony? Live musicians, DJ, Ipod? 

I'm a year away, but I want to prepare myself for the possible expense of live musicians. I completely forgot about ceremony music when we booked the DJ, but I'm sure I could add an hour to our contract. I know my FI prefers the "elegance" of having live musicians for the ceremony, but I really do not care if it is live or coming from a speaker. I just want to have something planned...and I know live musicians will be booking up this summer for 2015.

ETA: I would love to hear from engaged ladies on what they plan on doing at their ceremony!

Re: Question for Married Ladies

• For our ceremony we had a solo guitarist and he played classical music up until the bridal party went down the aisle and then it was all Jason Mraz lol. 

I think you have plenty of time to book a live musician if you're a year out. I booked mine within 8 months of our wedding. I know there were a few others that we were talking to as well that were available.
  • we had both!  for the processional and recessional, we had it played over the system.  for the songs during the ceremony, we had a live band.

my husband and I are doing the music for my friend's wedding in February, and we've done music for a lot of weddings.  I don't know yet what they'll choose for this wedding, but I generally see a mix of live and canned in weddings.
  • Dignity100Dignity100 Northeastern Ohio member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    Not married yet; however our venue comes with a violinist.

Anniversary
  • 500days500days MA member
    @southernpeach89- Oooh a guitarist is something I should run by FI. He wants strings (trio or quartet). I think if I have a plan (book something) by the fall I will be fine. I was under the impression that I had a lot of time to book vendors, but I'm quickly learning that in RI/MA it is a rat race. I couldn't get a Saturday date  for summer 2015 at my venue- and I booked in January 2014 :-( I hate the pressure.

• @500days -You're right, since our wedding was towards the end of fall our availability for vendors was probably a bit more relaxed. You're definitely on the right track for getting a game plan together though. 
    @cocobellaF too bad you are not in the northeast! I'd have my plan all set ;-)

@500days - If there are any local colleges, you could always look for some sort of music major/minor looking for a gig (make them 'interview' and perform for you first though!!)

Anniversary
  • @500days - I told the groom-to-be last night that I specialize in Disney songs, so would he prefer "Let It Go" or "Beauty and the Beast"... I don't think he was very amused.
    [Deleted User]
    @CocoBellaF - I am having Disney songs, FI has no choice... he can roll his eyes, but I have control of the Disney questionnaire mwahahaha (Beauty and the Beast will probably be our first dance; probably will walk down the aisle to 'When you wish upon a star'; recessional to 'A Whole New World'... I forget the others).

Anniversary
    @cocobellaF you would be perfect for one of the song selections I want!!! Right now I love "Married Life" from Up.

• edited June 2014
    I have no idea what they'll choose, but hopefully they are fun!  what songs are you thinking of, @500days?

for my wedding we had:
    Processional:  The Giving (Michael W. Smith) and The Secret Lives of Daydreams (Pride and Prejudice)
    Bride's entrance:  History in the Making (Darius Rucker) - LIVE BAND - I walked in right before or after the second verse... I forget.
    Other ceremony songs:  When Our Tomorrows Turn to Yesterdays (just a gorgeous song, you can hardly find it) - LIVE BAND; When I Say I Do (Matthew West) - LIVE BAND
    Recessional - Firefly (Jimmy Needham) and Some Kind of Wonderful (Michael Buble)

we had lots of music, but we are both musicians so...  yep! 

ETA:  I have a recording downloaded of the When Our Tomorrows song on my work computer, if you're interested.  it is a religious-ish song, but just in case you're interested, I have it... it's not available online anywhere.
  • KeptInStitchesKeptInStitches the Northern Plains member
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 5 Answers
    edited June 2014
    I'm planning live musicians - my brother will be playing guitar and we're going to hire one of the music majors at the college to play piano. DB's GF is a music major and she can help us sort out who is good as well since she hears them so much.

ETA: Oh, we're all sharing our music selections, too?
    Processional: Nocturne, Chopin, Op. 9 No. 2 (link) - we'll edit it down as we need to, use it to seat parents and grandparents, wedding party entrance, bride's entrance
    Ceremony songs: Up for debate still. I'm thinking perhaps "Guide Me O Thou Great Redeemer"? "O Perfect Love" is not up for debate - that's in there. I want it.
    Recessional: Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee.

We're both musicians. There will be lots of music. The low-hanging fruit for the guitar is "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring," but I'm thinking perhaps of finding him something different.
  • now I'm listening to our wedding track and I'm getting all gooey at work!  it doesn't help our anniversary is coming up on 7-16.  <3
    Your selections are great @cocbellaf! I like the Up theme song, Cinema Paradiso theme song...and I don't know why but I love Viva la Vida by Coldplay on strings. I don't know if I would use it though.

• I am jealous of your music selections!! FI is Catholic, so I have no idea WHAT we are allowed to use for music, but I doubt anything I'd choose is an option.  I definitely want live music though.  The church "comes" with a $200 organist, so I'm hoping to find some string players for around that price we can use instead.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ShallowSeasShallowSeas Indianapolis, IN member
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    We have a violinist and a guitarist doing our ceremony music.
    Anniversary

• SwazzleSwazzle New Jersey member
    10000 Comments Seventh Anniversary 500 Love Its First Answer
    We just used our DJ for the ceremony. We didn't want any traditional music as it's not our style.

Processional:
    BMs: If I Should Fall Behind by Bruce Springsteen
    Me: Songbird by Fleetwood Mac

Recessional: 
    All You Need Is Love by the Beatles

• One of our best friends is a professional musician. He was kind enough to learn the songs we wanted so that he could play acoustic guitar at our ceremony. It was awesome (though I only got to hear like 5 seconds of it!).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• kaitlynmichellekaitlynmichelle British Columbia member
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its 1000 Comments Name Dropper
    FBIL is amazing with his guitar. I also love listening to FI play. I asked him a couple months ago if he would play his accoustic as I walk down the aisle and he seemed very excited about it. We gave him music for a Beatles song, but I haven't heard from him how it is going as he wanted to potentially change it a bit. I made it pretty clear that if he feels he no longer wants to do it, that is fine.

I hope he does play though as I'd rather have him than my ipod...

No music otherwise as we aren't doing the traditional reception.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We had a DJ for both the ceremony and the reception. 

We did Canon in D for the bridesmaids/moms and I walked down to Ave Maria as a nod to my Dad (it was one of his favorites).  H and I walked back up the aisle to U2's Beautiful Day.

First dance was a tango so we picked Por Una Cabeza but if we hadn't done a tango we would have danced to Harvest Moon by Neil Young.

Thanks for all of the responses! I guess I will have to see some quotes to determine if it is really worth it. The truth is that I will only hear like 5 seconds of it, but I know it would be nice to have for our guests. I'll also have to see what the DJ will charge for an 1/2-1 hour of time.

• labrolabro Hotlanta member
    5000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its 5 Answers

We've hired a string trio to play for our ceremony and during the cocktail hour.

For the processional: I was originally thinking Moon River but now I think I'd rather go with Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley.

Bridal processional: Let Me Call you Sweetheart (FI sings this one to me all the time so it was a no-brainer when I saw it on our trio's set list)

Recessional: Everybody Loves Somebody, although I'm rethinking this one too. Love the song but I might need something more upbeat and fast-paced.

• We had an organist and cantor at our church ceremony.  So we did classical formal music.  My Bm walked down the aisle to Cannon in D I walked down the aisle to the Processional from the Sound of Music and our exit was Clark's Trumpet Tune.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards