Not Engaged Yet

Question for Married Ladies

500days500days member
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited June 2014 in Not Engaged Yet
What type of music did you use for your ceremony? Live musicians, DJ, Ipod? 

I'm a year away, but I want to prepare myself for the possible expense of live musicians. I completely forgot about ceremony music when we booked the DJ, but I'm sure I could add an hour to our contract. I know my FI prefers the "elegance" of having live musicians for the ceremony, but I really do not care if it is live or coming from a speaker. I just want to have something planned...and I know live musicians will be booking up this summer for 2015.

ETA: I would love to hear from engaged ladies on what they plan on doing at their ceremony!

Re: Question for Married Ladies

• For our ceremony we had a solo guitarist and he played classical music up until the bridal party went down the aisle and then it was all Jason Mraz lol. 

I think you have plenty of time to book a live musician if you're a year out. I booked mine within 8 months of our wedding. I know there were a few others that we were talking to as well that were available.
  • we had both!  for the processional and recessional, we had it played over the system.  for the songs during the ceremony, we had a live band.

my husband and I are doing the music for my friend's wedding in February, and we've done music for a lot of weddings.  I don't know yet what they'll choose for this wedding, but I generally see a mix of live and canned in weddings.
  • Not married yet; however our venue comes with a violinist.

Anniversary
  • @southernpeach89- Oooh a guitarist is something I should run by FI. He wants strings (trio or quartet). I think if I have a plan (book something) by the fall I will be fine. I was under the impression that I had a lot of time to book vendors, but I'm quickly learning that in RI/MA it is a rat race. I couldn't get a Saturday date  for summer 2015 at my venue- and I booked in January 2014 :-( I hate the pressure.
  • @500days -You're right, since our wedding was towards the end of fall our availability for vendors was probably a bit more relaxed. You're definitely on the right track for getting a game plan together though. 
  • @cocobellaF too bad you are not in the northeast! I'd have my plan all set ;-)
  • @500days - If there are any local colleges, you could always look for some sort of music major/minor looking for a gig (make them 'interview' and perform for you first though!!)

Anniversary
  • @500days - I told the groom-to-be last night that I specialize in Disney songs, so would he prefer "Let It Go" or "Beauty and the Beast"... I don't think he was very amused.
  • @CocoBellaF - I am having Disney songs, FI has no choice... he can roll his eyes, but I have control of the Disney questionnaire mwahahaha (Beauty and the Beast will probably be our first dance; probably will walk down the aisle to 'When you wish upon a star'; recessional to 'A Whole New World'... I forget the others).

Anniversary
  • @cocobellaF you would be perfect for one of the song selections I want!!! Right now I love "Married Life" from Up.
  • edited June 2014
    I have no idea what they'll choose, but hopefully they are fun!  what songs are you thinking of, @500days?

for my wedding we had:
    Processional:  The Giving (Michael W. Smith) and The Secret Lives of Daydreams (Pride and Prejudice)
    Bride's entrance:  History in the Making (Darius Rucker) - LIVE BAND - I walked in right before or after the second verse... I forget.
    Other ceremony songs:  When Our Tomorrows Turn to Yesterdays (just a gorgeous song, you can hardly find it) - LIVE BAND; When I Say I Do (Matthew West) - LIVE BAND
    Recessional - Firefly (Jimmy Needham) and Some Kind of Wonderful (Michael Buble)

we had lots of music, but we are both musicians so...  yep! 

ETA:  I have a recording downloaded of the When Our Tomorrows song on my work computer, if you're interested.  it is a religious-ish song, but just in case you're interested, I have it... it's not available online anywhere.
  • edited June 2014
    I'm planning live musicians - my brother will be playing guitar and we're going to hire one of the music majors at the college to play piano. DB's GF is a music major and she can help us sort out who is good as well since she hears them so much.

ETA: Oh, we're all sharing our music selections, too?
    Processional: Nocturne, Chopin, Op. 9 No. 2 (link) - we'll edit it down as we need to, use it to seat parents and grandparents, wedding party entrance, bride's entrance
    Ceremony songs: Up for debate still. I'm thinking perhaps "Guide Me O Thou Great Redeemer"? "O Perfect Love" is not up for debate - that's in there. I want it.
    Recessional: Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee.

We're both musicians. There will be lots of music. The low-hanging fruit for the guitar is "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring," but I'm thinking perhaps of finding him something different.
  • now I'm listening to our wedding track and I'm getting all gooey at work!  it doesn't help our anniversary is coming up on 7-16.  <3
  • Your selections are great @cocbellaf! I like the Up theme song, Cinema Paradiso theme song...and I don't know why but I love Viva la Vida by Coldplay on strings. I don't know if I would use it though.
  • I am jealous of your music selections!! FI is Catholic, so I have no idea WHAT we are allowed to use for music, but I doubt anything I'd choose is an option.  I definitely want live music though.  The church "comes" with a $200 organist, so I'm hoping to find some string players for around that price we can use instead.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have a violinist and a guitarist doing our ceremony music.
    Anniversary

• We just used our DJ for the ceremony. We didn't want any traditional music as it's not our style.

Processional:
    BMs: If I Should Fall Behind by Bruce Springsteen
    Me: Songbird by Fleetwood Mac

Recessional: 
    All You Need Is Love by the Beatles

• One of our best friends is a professional musician. He was kind enough to learn the songs we wanted so that he could play acoustic guitar at our ceremony. It was awesome (though I only got to hear like 5 seconds of it!).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• FBIL is amazing with his guitar. I also love listening to FI play. I asked him a couple months ago if he would play his accoustic as I walk down the aisle and he seemed very excited about it. We gave him music for a Beatles song, but I haven't heard from him how it is going as he wanted to potentially change it a bit. I made it pretty clear that if he feels he no longer wants to do it, that is fine.

I hope he does play though as I'd rather have him than my ipod...

No music otherwise as we aren't doing the traditional reception.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We had a DJ for both the ceremony and the reception. 

We did Canon in D for the bridesmaids/moms and I walked down to Ave Maria as a nod to my Dad (it was one of his favorites).  H and I walked back up the aisle to U2's Beautiful Day.

First dance was a tango so we picked Por Una Cabeza but if we hadn't done a tango we would have danced to Harvest Moon by Neil Young.

• Thanks for all of the responses! I guess I will have to see some quotes to determine if it is really worth it. The truth is that I will only hear like 5 seconds of it, but I know it would be nice to have for our guests. I'll also have to see what the DJ will charge for an 1/2-1 hour of time.
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

We've hired a string trio to play for our ceremony and during the cocktail hour.

For the processional: I was originally thinking Moon River but now I think I'd rather go with Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley.

Bridal processional: Let Me Call you Sweetheart (FI sings this one to me all the time so it was a no-brainer when I saw it on our trio's set list)

Recessional: Everybody Loves Somebody, although I'm rethinking this one too. Love the song but I might need something more upbeat and fast-paced.

• We had an organist and cantor at our church ceremony.  So we did classical formal music.  My Bm walked down the aisle to Cannon in D I walked down the aisle to the Processional from the Sound of Music and our exit was Clark's Trumpet Tune.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards