Attire & Accessories Forum

Wedding Bands: Do we really need them?

I have a weird question. I have my engagement ring and he has a promise ring I bought for him our first year of dating. What is the purpose of a wedding band if we both already have rings? And if we do get wedding bands, he still wants to wear the ring I bought him. What do we do?

Re: Wedding Bands: Do we really need them?

• brideofgingerbrideofginger member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2014
    I know of no customs or traditions attached to it, so as far as I know it's completely up to you guys. I bought a tiny 1mm white gold band to wear with my engagement ring, but I also wanted it so I can wear just the band if I feel like it. I wanted to still be able to wear my engagement ring, but also have the option to wear the plain band separate if I feel like it. I'd rather scratch up a $110 band at the gym than the engagement ring.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you don't want a separate ring, you don't have to get one. I know of several woman with lovely engagement rings who used them in their wedding ceremony also, rather than a separate band. My engagement ring doesn't have a matching band, so I'm just going to have a plain band for the ceremony, and to wear to work. J doesn't know yet if he wants a ring or not.
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • No you do not need wedding bands.  It is up to the two of you as to whether you get them or not. There is no rule stating that they are required.

If you do decide to get wedding bands your FI can wear his promise ring on his right hand while wearing the wedding band on his left.

If you two want you can use your e-ring and his promise ring as your wedding bands.  You can have them blessed or what not by your officiant during the ceremony and then exchange them.  This way they are "renewed" as wedding rings.

• My aunt wears her engagement ring only. She could not find a band that matched it well enough, so she just went with the one ring. There is no law that says you must have a band.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • You don't need them if you don't want them. I thought about just wearing my e-ring, but we travel a lot and I don't like wearing my e-ring when we go abroad. I have a wedding band and just wear that when we travel so I still have something on my finger and don't feel totally naked.
    *********************************************************************************

• SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The rings are symbolic, as is the exchanging of the rings. The whole "with this ring" business. You can exchange your promise ring and your e-ring if you'd like. There's nothing that says you can't. The one nice thing about the band is that it tells people you are married and not just engaged.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards