Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Exclusive Photographer Clause?

I recently received a photography contract from my photographer.

While reading it over, one of the last clauses in there really bothers me.

It's the "Exclusive Photographer" Clause and says that my photographer is the only one allowed to take pictures at the wedding and wedding related events. However, the part that really gets to me is it states "family and friends of the client shall not be permitted to photograph the wedding client whatsoever' So basically nobody else can take pictures at the wedding?? 

Has anybody else come across this clause? If so, how did it end up working out? Do you think my photographer will reword it if I ask her to?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Exclusive Photographer Clause?

• Options
    My photographer's contract said she could be the only professional photographer and she reserved the right to ask "Uncle Bob" to move out of the way if he was obstructing important shots. It wasn't a big deal. 

But your photographer's wording is overly restrictive and ridiculous. I'd cross it out, send the contract back, and ask for a revised version without that clause. 
  • Options
    I would not hire a photog wight his clause. Can you imagine her insulting grandma and stopping her bc she wants a photo of you??

It is normal to have a clause starting they and their staff are the only paid photographer. But quite frankly I don't see why they should even have that - if you want to hire 3 photog and you can afford it what do they care?

It is also normal to have a clause that other people can not take photos while they are doing to posed formal portraits - aka the family and WP group shots before or after the ceremony. This clause i have no issue with...they need to move quickly and get them done to stay on time. Others shooting photos are distracting and can impede the process.

I would ask her to reword it. If she won't, I wouldn't hire her. You are paying her to provide a service, she should provide the service you want, not make demands of your guests.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    It's standard for professional photographers to have an exclusive photographer clause, but to say that guests can't take photos is not.  Either hire someone else or talk to them to see I they are willing to re word the contract.
  • Options

Try to find a photographer that gives you the rights to your photos.. or ask this one if you can pay for them. That way that whole "only photographer" thing may be avoided. They usually say that because they count on making money off they pictures you order. If you buy the rights to the pictures most times they dont care if others take photos they already have been paid for them.

My photographer includes it in his price. He takes the photos and gives us a jump drive after he'd editied them with the release printed on the drive. We can take them any where to have them printed... works out great for both. I asked if he cared if others took pictures he said as long as they are not in his way snap away.

• Options
    Thanks! I sent her an email and she got back to me a week later because she was on 'vacation' and didn't answer any of my questions. Her tone was also very condescending and I just didn't like it. 

I feel like I was very clear in the email and when I asked her for an itemized list of what we get in the package she said 'I think it's pretty clear in the contract; why do you need this?' However, everything was scattered all over the place and she didn't even have a timeline of when photos would be returned to us. I don't think this was an unreasonable request....

Anyway, I'm just done with this photographer and have already started contacting others in the area. Thank you all for your help! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks! I sent her an email and she got back to me a week later because she was on 'vacation' and didn't answer any of my questions. Her tone was also very condescending and I just didn't like it. 

I feel like I was very clear in the email and when I asked her for an itemized list of what we get in the package she said 'I think it's pretty clear in the contract; why do you need this?' However, everything was scattered all over the place and she didn't even have a timeline of when photos would be returned to us. I don't think this was an unreasonable request....

Anyway, I'm just done with this photographer and have already started contacting others in the area. Thank you all for your help! 

I think you made the right choice here :) Good luck in your search!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards