Wedding Etiquette Forum

NWR: Signed book instead of a card

2»

Re: NWR: Signed book instead of a card

• AguaEau said:
    I got an invite like that (complete with a horrible cutesy poem) years ago for a cousin's baby shower.  It ticked me off and I found it in incredibly bad taste.

Like people already said, a card and a book are not similarly priced - a book costs a lot more.  Plus, I'm a librarian.  I often give books as presents anyway.  So this request basically takes what I would give as a gift and equates it to a little add-on to the real gift.  "Along with your gift, bring a book!"  "Um, my gift was going to be books."
    This, plus I don't spend money on cards.  I really hate this trend.

• Nymeru said:
    While it is rude to request double-gifting, it is true that a lot of board books run in $2-$4 range, which, really is the cost of most cards.  I wouldn't mind the request because ultimately, it's up to the guests to decide how much they want to bring/spend.

So if they are asking you to bring money for bakery food, are they hosting anything at all?
    I don't buy cards, so unless the book is free this request would cost me additional money.

• Someone please tell me where they find baby books for $2-$4? I threw a shower a couple months ago and mom-to-be requested this (my BFF who is going baby crazy and driving me nuts) and I shot her down. She shrugged it off but I told her people shouldn't feel obligated to buy a book in addition to the standard gift. She got like 8 books anyway.
  • Someone please tell me where they find baby books for $2-$4?

I threw a shower a couple months ago and mom-to-be requested this (my BFF who is going baby crazy and driving me nuts) and I shot her down. She shrugged it off but I told her people shouldn't feel obligated to buy a book in addition to the standard gift. She got like 8 books anyway.

Amazon. I buy nearly everything there.

• MGPMGP member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    AlexisA01 said:
    You also don't have to give the book. I mean, you shouldn't really hold this against the mother-to-be considering she is not hosting. Just take whatever you want as a gift and don't buy the book.
    She is hosting along with one of her best friend.
    So this mother to be is self hosting, making guests pay for their own food, and requesting books instead of cards?  Please don't tell me this is also for her second or third kid, I think my head would explode. 

Man, that's a trifecta of bad hosting.  Decline, decline, decline!
  • MGP said:
    AlexisA01 said:
    You also don't have to give the book. I mean, you shouldn't really hold this against the mother-to-be considering she is not hosting. Just take whatever you want as a gift and don't buy the book.
    She is hosting along with one of her best friend.
    So this mother to be is self hosting, making guests pay for their own food, and requesting books instead of cards?  Please don't tell me this is also for her second or third kid, I think my head would explode. 

Man, that's a trifecta of bad hosting.  Decline, decline, decline!
    It is their first child, a little boy to be named after the guy from  Fault in our Stars, Augustus. Here is some poor etiquette background: Got married less than two or three weeks ago.  Had a private wedding, yet still gave out registry info to people not invited to the wedding.
    I am waiting for the PPD invite, I can just feel it since she said she is pregnant and really wants to have a lavish wedding during the winter.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• I wouldn't call it a "new trend;" I've seen this for years. Board books are normally under $4 so I don't have a problem from the "second gift" perspective, but I don't like doing it because of the likelihood of getting multiples you can't return because they've been written in. I always give a few board books as part of my gift though (with a gift receipt).

What I have a GIANT problem with is "bring a pack of diapers instead of a card." Um, diapers are freakin' expensive, and it's not like you're going to save all the signed wrappers.
    Normally in my circle, it's bring a pack of diapers to be included in a drawing.

The gambler in me really likes that game.  And it's always a really awesome prize.
    I know someone who did the diapers thing. They were using cloth and not that many people actually brought any so I got a cute napkin holder that matches my Christmas decor!

However, I still spent the same amount as I would have if I hadn't bought the diapers. So she got a less expensive baby outfit and set of t-shirts as a result.  I doubt she minded.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards