Chit Chat
Options

My flowers were all wrong

2»

Re: My flowers were all wrong

• Options
    I use to work in the islands.   I've seen a lot of brides.  Some completely lose it over the smallest details.  Others just go with the flow.

One time we picked up a wedding group to go to another island for their dinner (worked on a sailboat).  They just finished getting married at a church.   As soon as we turned a point the sky opened up.  We could not even see the bow of the boat which was 50 feet away.   The rain hit so hard and fast the bride's dress got soaked.  She looked like she stood in front of a fire hose.     

What did she do?  Laugh.  Yep, they started laughing.    We decide that it was not safe to make the trip and asked if we could go the next day.  Luckily most of the guests (20 of them) were still around.    When we dropped them off they invited the crew to a small famous bar on St John. 

We decide to meet them at the bar.  The owners of the bar were friends of ours.  They and the staff could not have been more accommodating.  They played their "song" and other dance music. Gave some free shots.  Other locals came in and joined the party.  They had an great memorable time. 

The next night we took them over to the dinner spot on another island.

I said to myself if I ever got married I would not be one of those crying upset over every little detail brides.  Nope, I wanted to be like  the bride (and couple) above.     The couple who can still have a great time even when long term plans go by the way side.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Please let me get one thing straight. My day was not ruined and like you said @jenajjthr the moment I saw my fiancé, I thought nothing more of the flowers. Just because I'm posting a question now about the flowers does not mean that I am saying the color of my bouquet was the only thing that mattered that day, or that everything was ruined because there was white and green in it. 
    I was simply asking if I should be asking for more compensation back based on what was incorrect on my order. Everyone agrees I was fairly compensated and I appreciate everyone's feedback.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jen1051 said:
    Wow, Sassafras? I said I wasn't going to repeat myself because I didn't think those reading would want to read something that I already wrote. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass by saying that. My original post wasn't asking if I should get a full refund. It may not have been clear but I was asking if anyone thought I should ask for further compensation because it was more than just my bouquet that was wrong. Everyone agrees that I should let it go and I was courteous and said thank you that's what I'll do.... So I'm not sure why you then call me a 'sassafras'.
    My thoughts on the hundred dollars versus more things than your bouquet being wrong - your bouquet was $85, right? But you still ended up with something that was usable. Considering she most likely had a clause allowing for similar substitutions, I would expect no more than a 50% discount for incorrect but usable flowers, and throwing in crap you specifically asked not to be included. So that's $42.50, leaving you with $57.50 of your refund remaining toward the other things that were incorrect but usable. I wouldn't expect any refund for flowers that ended up growing lighter than you expected, because that's out of the florist's control. They don't grow the flowers, they just arrange them. So no, I don't think you should ask for additional compensation.

FWIW, my sister edged her whole corner lot yard with those Queen of the Night tulips, and they all came up varying shades of pink. Nature's a bitch sometimes, and flowers are unpredictable.

• Options
    I know that. i was really referring the chick who had a breakdown because of the wrong color flowers and almost refused to walk down the aisle. Often there are off-shoot of a conversation. Sorry for the confusion

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Sorry Lynda, my post wasn't directed specifically at you.... I know... There are two or three conversations going on here lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @Jen1051, I know it's hard to read tone on these posts. I have to admit, when I read this in your OP "My wedding was 2.5 weeks ago and this is still bugging me! Have I left it too long?", it came across that you were obsessing over it. Just a thought...
  • Options
    @sarahbear31 I think obsessing is a strong word, I said it's bugging me. I know I wasn't clear in what I was asking and when I said it's bugging me, I was referring to the fact that I didn't know if I should ask for more compensation for what was incorrect other than my bouquet. Definitely not obsessing. We went on an 11 day honeymoon and I didn't have a chance to even think about it for obvious reasons, it's just something I got thinking about in the last day or two.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jen1051 said:
    @sarahbear31 I think obsessing is a strong word, I said it's bugging me. I know I wasn't clear in what I was asking and when I said it's bugging me, I was referring to the fact that I didn't know if I should ask for more compensation for what was incorrect other than my bouquet. Definitely not obsessing. We went on an 11 day honeymoon and I didn't have a chance to even think about it for obvious reasons, it's just something I got thinking about in the last day or two.
    here's always been my benchmark...in 5 years is it going to matter?

Probably not...so, maybe best to stop wasting time and energy on something that has already come and gone for which you've received compensation.

• Options
    @lola883 to each his own on whether a bouquet was 'usable' but we took my bouquet apart and took all of the white out and replaced it with purple from the throwaway bouquet. I understand substituting with similar flowers but since when are white peonies similar to dark purple tulips? Anyways, the issue has been beaten to death now lol. Thanks for everyone's input!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am IN LOVE with the fire hose bride story. Seriously. Best story ever.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Jen1051 said:

Wow, Sassafras? I said I wasn't going to repeat myself because I didn't think those reading would want to read something that I already wrote. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass by saying that. My original post wasn't asking if I should get a full refund. It may not have been clear but I was asking if anyone thought I should ask for further compensation because it was more than just my bouquet that was wrong. Everyone agrees that I should let it go and I was courteous and said thank you that's what I'll do.... So I'm not sure why you then call me a 'sassafras'.

My thoughts on the hundred dollars versus more things than your bouquet being wrong - your bouquet was $85, right? But you still ended up with something that was usable. Considering she most likely had a clause allowing for similar substitutions, I would expect no more than a 50% discount for incorrect but usable flowers, and throwing in crap you specifically asked not to be included. So that's $42.50, leaving you with $57.50 of your refund remaining toward the other things that were incorrect but usable. I wouldn't expect any refund for flowers that ended up growing lighter than you expected, because that's out of the florist's control. They don't grow the flowers, they just arrange them. So no, I don't think you should ask for additional compensation.

FWIW, my sister edged her whole corner lot yard with those Queen of the Night tulips, and they all came up varying shades of pink. Nature's a bitch sometimes, and flowers are unpredictable.

The pH levels in the soil supposedly control flower color, and sometimes you can manipulate the color by changing the Ph in the soil.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

Jen1051 said:

The pH levels in the soil supposedly control flower color, and sometimes you can manipulate the color by changing the Ph in the soil.

Yeah she thought about that, but it was too late at that point. Maybe next year.

• Options
    sarahufl said:
    Man, I love white peonies. 
    Also, they are not inexpensive flowers either. Surprising she used them.

• Options
    My wedding flowers were a disaster also.  I left the florist some poor reviews and moved on.  You even got a partial refund!  My florist didn't even offer any compensation, she actuallty tried arguing with me when I posted the reviews. 
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    Man, I love white peonies. 
    Also, they are not inexpensive flowers either. Surprising she used them.
    I'm guessing the florist didn't have a lot of other purple flowers on hand and white is the easiest to match. Maybe she used a more expensive flower to fill out the bouquet to compensate for the problems with the ordered flowers.

If this happened to me, I actually couldn't use the bouquet at all - something about peonies (too much pollen?) really messes with my allergies.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards