Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Dog at Ceremony/Reception?

Re: Dog at Ceremony/Reception?

• Options

All I have to add is that I definitely love my dog more then some of my family members and I find absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Threes nothing wrong with loving your animals. There IS an issue if you think they are more than your animals.
  • Options
    I actually agree with that point as well. There are plenty of people I would place second to my dogs. I still don't think dogs should be at a wedding, but I would have no problem telling someone generally that my dogs would be somewhere and if they can't come because of that, I understand.

• Options

banana468 said:

All I have to add is that I definitely love my dog more then some of my family members and I find absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    Threes nothing wrong with loving your animals. There IS an issue if you think they are more than your animals.

No I don't think there is an issue.  I love my dog.  She is probably the only "kid" I will have.  Of course she doesn't sit at the table during dinner and I am not going to enroll her in elementary school but she means A LOT to me and my H and we would be devastated if anything happened to her.  We changed how we lived for her.  We stay home more for her.  We go to the dog park and the trail for her.  We buy toys for her.  I bake extra chicken so she can have tasty dinners.  I miss her when I am gone for long periods of time.  I feel bad leaving her in the morning when I go to work.  So yeah, she is a lot more to me then just a pet.

People with pets who do not have or chose not to have children, do in many ways think of their pets as their kids.  They are their pets care taker and don't want anything to happen to them and want to make them as happy as possible and give them the best life as possible.

They are more then just pets to people, they are family members.

That's great. But they still aren't people.

I know that sounds harsh and I know that the family pet is a family member but the animal is not a human.

Of course the pet may rank higher to you than some family members. It's still your pet though and not a human being.

• Options
    beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    I did not want a dog, but I love mine. She will not be present at the wedding. 

Now, if certain family members (that FI and I do not like) had allergies or were afraid of dogs... word would get out that Daisy was going to be the flower girl and MC :)
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    I am not putting anyone's safety at risk.  Holy moly people.  As an example, we brought our family dog with us everywhere.  So, when we went to, say, an outdoors market that several communities came together for (I can't tell you how many people come, I am bad at that sort of thing but I can tell you it is usually very busy) he would come.  He would be on his leash and he would be fine and dandy.  Some people came up to pet him, no big deal.  I have two cats, they are not so social with strangers.  So, yeah, it would be stupid of me to bring them to my wedding or somewhere else with people and things going on that would stress them out.  But as for a dog or other animal that is completely fine under similar circumstances, I don't see why not to bring them to one's own wedding.  
    Yes, I understand that a dog is not a human.  But that does not mean that they do not mean as much as a human can to some people.  I don't plan on having kids, so yes, my cats are my babies, whether you like that or not.  Of course my cats mean more to me than a lot of people out there.  I fail to see how that is somehow wrong or disturbing.  I am with them everyday and love them unconditionally and vice versa. As for the Great Aunt Jo thing, I would just include an insert in the invite "warning" people about a dog being present and they can deal with it however they choose to do so.
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    My husband was bitten on the face by a dog when he was a child and still has the large scar from it. He is very uncomfortable around dogs as a result. Go ahead and roll your eyes about that, though. Perhaps you'd feel differently if something like that had happened to you. I adore you, Doeydo, but that really rubbed me the wrong way. 
    I was also bitten in the face by a dog. Of course the owner was all "oh, she didn't mean it! she's the sweetest thing! you didn't mean it, princess, did you?" while I'm sitting there bleeding. It was a pomeranian and, luckily, my fear of dogs doesn't extend past that particular breed. 

The point here is that you might have the sweetest, most wonderfully calm, affectionate and non-violent dog in the world. Other people may not know your dog's temperament and/or are still allowed to be uncomfortable or even fearful due to experiences you may not know about.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    doeydo said:
    I guess for me, if I had a dog that I felt was like my baby and could handle a very social and excited situation like that, then yes it would be more important to me for him or her to attend than Great Aunt Jo who I see a couple times a year and am inviting out of "requirements".  If it was one of my VIPs (ie. our parents, siblings, etc.) then perhaps the dog would not attend the wedding.  I completely understand that not everyone's allergies can be "solved" by taking a pill, but you can choose to avoid places that will have dogs (though, of course, people walk dogs in public all the time).
    As for the fear thing, I was abused by my father.  That doesn't mean that I should just fear all white men or all fathers out there, because that's a generalization and completely wrong.  If someone doesn't attend an event because a dog is present or leaps back as a dog that is just sitting or walking around then they need serious help, IMO.
    But some abuse victims do. Do you roll your eyes at them?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    mysticl said:
    doeydo said:
    I guess for me, if I had a dog that I felt was like my baby and could handle a very social and excited situation like that, then yes it would be more important to me for him or her to attend than Great Aunt Jo who I see a couple times a year and am inviting out of "requirements".  If it was one of my VIPs (ie. our parents, siblings, etc.) then perhaps the dog would not attend the wedding.  I completely understand that not everyone's allergies can be "solved" by taking a pill, but you can choose to avoid places that will have dogs (though, of course, people walk dogs in public all the time).
    As for the fear thing, I was abused by my father.  That doesn't mean that I should just fear all white men or all fathers out there, because that's a generalization and completely wrong.  If someone doesn't attend an event because a dog is present or leaps back as a dog that is just sitting or walking around then they need serious help, IMO.
    No, but they should get the help they need so they can function in life and be happy.  There are men, white men, and dads all over the place.  Short of locking yourself at home forever, there is no way of not seeing and having encounters with them.
  • Options
    doeydo said:
    mysticl said:
    doeydo said:
    No, but they should get the help they need so they can function in life and be happy.  There are men, white men, and dads all over the place.  Short of locking yourself at home forever, there is no way of not seeing and having encounters with them.
    Sorry, but whether or not people who are afraid of dogs, or who have been abused, should get help, is not up to you.  Nor is it up to you to judge them if they don't get help.  It's their decision to make, and no one else's.

The needs of people you are inviting, who are allergic to or even scared of dogs or whatever, need to take priority over your need to have your dog at your wedding.  

As for why dogs should not be at wedding ceremonies, it doesn't matter how well-trained they are outside of the wedding-it matters how they behave at the wedding.  As noted above in the thread, even the best-trained dogs have been known to get out of control or otherwise behave in ways that are not appropriate at weddings and do serious damage and injury.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I'm a dog person. I love my dogs more than many humans that I know. 

1. l wouldn't bring my dogs to a wedding because a dog isn't capable of understanding the significance of the event. There really isn't anything in it for the dog. There are plenty of potential hazards, which have been mentioned. The dogs will be happier at home, with their toys, food and bed and if necessary a familiar sitter.

2. It's rude and very phony to invite old Aunt Gertrude and then write on the invitation the reason she shouldn't come. 

Doeydo, I like you, but I'm stunned that you would roll your eyes at someone else's fear of dogs or allergies. I don't know what to say, really. There are no words : (

• Options
    AddieCake said:
    My husband was bitten on the face by a dog when he was a child and still has the large scar from it. He is very uncomfortable around dogs as a result. Go ahead and roll your eyes about that, though. Perhaps you'd feel differently if something like that had happened to you. I adore you, Doeydo, but that really rubbed me the wrong way. 
    I was also bitten in the face by a dog. Of course the owner was all "oh, she didn't mean it! she's the sweetest thing! you didn't mean it, princess, did you?" while I'm sitting there bleeding. It was a pomeranian and, luckily, my fear of dogs doesn't extend past that particular breed. 

The point here is that you might have the sweetest, most wonderfully calm, affectionate and non-violent dog in the world. Other people may not know your dog's temperament and/or are still allowed to be uncomfortable or even fearful due to experiences you may not know about.
    Sorry for anyone on here who may have one, but those dogs are little fuckers.

• Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    Regarding the rolling eyes comment: maybe it's just due to the horrible looks I have been given by people who are scared of dogs just for walking a dog that was minding his own business.  Because how dare I walk a dog on public property.  
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    Oh, and I like you all, too.  We just disagree on certain things, as most people do.  No hard feelings, from me at least.
  • Options
    A good friend had their dog in their wedding- he even wore a very cute tie that matched the groom. The wedding was outside at their family farm (the dog was very familiar with its surroundings) and he was a little furry gentleman all day. The wedding was fairly small and most of the guests had met/ had interaction with the dog before. He romped around all evening and nobody seemed to care. It can be done, but I guess the circumstances would have to be just right.
  • Options
    A good friend had their dog in their wedding- he even wore a very cute tie that matched the groom. The wedding was outside at their family farm (the dog was very familiar with its surroundings) and he was a little furry gentleman all day. The wedding was fairly small and most of the guests had met/ had interaction with the dog before. He romped around all evening and nobody seemed to care. It can be done, but I guess the circumstances would have to be just right.

There are so many circumstances that would have to be just right that I think it isn't worth risking.
  • Options
    I see no issue with choosing to have a dog whom you love and want to have with you at your wedding. I think you should of course look at what that entails. Such as the dogs behaviour in crowded or loud areas and allergies of your VIPs.

Unless the guest is a VIP that I would deeply regret not having present then I may change my plans. But for other guests, I agree with @doeydo‌. Include an Iinsert to forewarn guests with fear issues or allergies. They can then make an informed decision themselves.

I am having an outdoor wedding in the height of ragweed season. If my guests have hayfever allergies or require an Epi-pen for ragweed, am I going to change my wedding just to suit them? Fat chance!
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    jnrsgirl said:
    I see no issue with choosing to have a dog whom you love and want to have with you at your wedding. I think you should of course look at what that entails. Such as the dogs behaviour in crowded or loud areas and allergies of your VIPs. Unless the guest is a VIP that I would deeply regret not having present then I may change my plans. But for other guests, I agree with @doeydo‌. Include an Iinsert to forewarn guests with fear issues or allergies. They can then make an informed decision themselves. I am having an outdoor wedding in the height of ragweed season. If my guests have hayfever allergies or require an Epi-pen for ragweed, am I going to change my wedding just to suit them? Fat chance!
    Ah, no.  An "informed decision" means that they probably won't come. Many dog allergies or issues can't be treated with an epi-pen or any other medication.

You might not want to change your wedding to suit people who have to use epi-pens to breathe around dogs or whatever, but you know something?  Nobody loves you that much that you have any right to expect them to risk their health and perhaps their lives for your wedding.  For you to expect them to do so is the height of arrogance and entitledness.  And in case you didn't read the rest of the thread, which apparently you didn't, allergies are not the only reason why it's not a good idea to bring a dog to a wedding.
  • Options
    jnrsgirljnrsgirl member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    Jen4948 said:

jnrsgirl said:

SITB

I see no issue with choosing to have a dog whom you love and want to have with you at your wedding. I think you should of course look at what that entails. Such as the dogs behaviour in crowded or loud areas and allergies of your VIPs.

Unless the guest is a VIP that I would deeply regret not having present then I may change my plans. But for other guests, I agree with @doeydo‌. Include an Iinsert to forewarn guests with fear issues or allergies. They can then make an informed decision themselves.

I am having an outdoor wedding in the height of ragweed season. If my guests have hayfever allergies or require an Epi-pen for ragweed, am I going to change my wedding just to suit them? Fat chance!

Ah, no.  An "informed decision" means that they probably won't come. Many dog allergies or issues can't be treated with an epi-pen or any other medication.

You might not want to change your wedding to suit people who have to use epi-pens to breathe around dogs or whatever, but you know something?  Nobody loves you that much that you have any right to expect them to risk their health and perhaps their lives for your wedding.  For you to expect them to do so is the height of arrogance and entitledness.  And in case you didn't read the rest of the thread, which apparently you didn't, allergies are not the only reason why it's not a good idea to bring a dog to a wedding.

No one is expected to risk their health. Hence why they would be forewarned so that they can make an informed decision like a grown ass adult. If one of my VIPs or someone whom I would be deeply hurt if their attendance was not feasible due to the presence of a dog, then I would make arrangements to suit them. As was clearly stated prior.

And if you bothered to get off your high horse and read my post, you would clearly note that behaviour, allergies, fears, wedding environment, and VIP concerns are all addressed.

Life isn't fair. The world is never going to bend over backwards and screw itself to make sure to cater to your needs and desires. Sure it sucks sometimes, but that is just how it works.

ETA boxes...
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    jnrsgirl said:
    jnrsgirl said:
    SITB I see no issue with choosing to have a dog whom you love and want to have with you at your wedding. I think you should of course look at what that entails. Such as the dogs behaviour in crowded or loud areas and allergies of your VIPs. Unless the guest is a VIP that I would deeply regret not having present then I may change my plans. But for other guests, I agree with @doeydo‌. Include an Iinsert to forewarn guests with fear issues or allergies. They can then make an informed decision themselves. I am having an outdoor wedding in the height of ragweed season. If my guests have hayfever allergies or require an Epi-pen for ragweed, am I going to change my wedding just to suit them? Fat chance!

No one is expected to risk their health. Hence why they would be forewarned so that they can make an informed decision like a grown ass adult. If one of my VIPs or someone whom I would be deeply hurt if their attendance was not feasible due to the presence of a dog, then I would make arrangements to suit them. As was clearly stated prior. And if you bothered to get off your high horse and read my post, you would clearly note that behaviour, allergies, fears, wedding environment, and VIP concerns are all addressed. Life isn't fair. The world is never going to bend over backwards and screw itself to make sure to cater to your needs and desires. Sure it sucks sometimes, but that is just how it works. ETA boxes...
    The forewarning doesn't make bringing a dog a good idea.

You're the one who's on a "high horse" about being so adamant about bringing a dog.

Lots of people would make the "informed decision" to decline your invitation.  That would suck for you.  Human beings are supposed to take priority at a wedding over animals.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:

jnrsgirl said:

Jen4948 said:

jnrsgirl said:

SITB

No one is expected to risk their health. Hence why they would be forewarned so that they can make an informed decision like a grown ass adult. If one of my VIPs or someone whom I would be deeply hurt if their attendance was not feasible due to the presence of a dog, then I would make arrangements to suit them. As was clearly stated prior.

And if you bothered to get off your high horse and read my post, you would clearly note that behaviour, allergies, fears, wedding environment, and VIP concerns are all addressed.

Life isn't fair. The world is never going to bend over backwards and screw itself to make sure to cater to your needs and desires. Sure it sucks sometimes, but that is just how it works.

ETA boxes...

The forewarning doesn't make bringing a dog a good idea.

You're the one who's on a "high horse" about being so adamant about bringing a dog.

Lots of people would make the "informed decision" to decline your invitation.  That would suck for you.  Human beings are supposed to take priority at a wedding over animals.

If my guests make an informed decision not to attend my wedding because they have allergies or a fear of dogs, I would understand.

If you are too offended by the presence of FI's service dog being present at our wedding, clearly you would not be someone I would even want in attendance. Now if my VIPs had a dog issue, as already stated I would work around that and make accommodations. If that makes me "entitled" or on a "high horse" then so be it. Who the hell are you to tell me how much my family or friends love me? No one is forcing guests to come if they are concerned about the dog. They will be appropriately informed and given the opportunity to make their own decisions.

All humans do not always take precedence over a dog's presence at a wedding. We shall simply have to agree to disagree on that point.
  • Options
    Excuse me, but you didn't mention that the dog in question is a service dog.

Unfortunately, that fact won't make people who are allergic to dogs unallergic to your FI's service dog.  Those people, regardless of how much they love you, aren't going to be able to be in its presence and they'll decline.

As for non-service dogs, they don't belong at weddings regardless of how much their owners love them.
  • Options
    There's a big difference between a service animal that is legally allowed to be in places and your family pet that you treat like a member of your family.   One you may treat like your baby but no matter how much you love the animal, it isn't human and isn't to be in places that humans go.

My MIL just had to deal with this a month ago for the funeral service for HER mother.   MIL's sister has a tiny dog that she'll take on bike rides and other outdoor trips in her local area in the south.   The funeral service for their mother (DH's grandmother) was in CT and the sister wanted to bring her dog with her.    She had to be told that the dog was just not welcome in most of the places including the church and the restaurant where the after-service would take place.   Beyond that, many of the local hotels that are pet friendly do not want you to leave your pet there unattended.     Luckily she realized that everyone was serious and the dog was going to create more harm than good but why she thought it was a good idea in the first place is beyond me. 
  • Options
    The only time I've ever known of a dog to be involved in a wedding, I mean a situation in which I knew people involved, not saw it online, was when a service dog walked a bridesmaid down. This dog was trained to deal with a variety of social situations and did fine.

People asked if I wanted to involve my dog in my wedding. She has her CGC award, and does well around large and small groups. The problem I had with this idea was worrying about her. She loves people, but clings to me more than anything. I worried that she would be frustrated during moments when I would have been unable to hold her. Even as I type this, she's laying next to me on the couch. She's my precious baby girl, and I didn't want to put her through unneeded stress. 

I'm not generalizing and saying all dogs are like my poodle girl. That's just my reason for not including her in the wedding. I also know she would beg for table scraps at the reception. That would make some people uncomfortable. 
  • Options
    The only time I've ever known of a dog to be involved in a wedding, I mean a situation in which I knew people involved, not saw it online, was when a service dog walked a bridesmaid down. This dog was trained to deal with a variety of social situations and did fine.

People asked if I wanted to involve my dog in my wedding. She has her CGC award, and does well around large and small groups. The problem I had with this idea was worrying about her. She loves people, but clings to me more than anything. I worried that she would be frustrated during moments when I would have been unable to hold her. Even as I type this, she's laying next to me on the couch. She's my precious baby girl, and I didn't want to put her through unneeded stress. 

I'm not generalizing and saying all dogs are like my poodle girl. That's just my reason for not including her in the wedding. I also know she would beg for table scraps at the reception. That would make some people uncomfortable. 
    And could result in her getting sick from being overfed or fed things that are bad for her because not everyone knows what isn't safe for dogs.  For those that put their dogs before other people (disclaimer: my two dogs are sitting at my feet right now) think about the comfort/safety of your dog in these situations. Is the crowd going to scare them, will they have adequate access to food and water, will there be people there who don't know how to treat dogs and potentially hurt them, will they be overfed, will they be fed things that are poisonous, etc.?  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MollyandDMollyandD member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    mysticl said:

And could result in her getting sick from being overfed or fed things that are bad for her because not everyone knows what isn't safe for dogs.  For those that put their dogs before other people (disclaimer: my two dogs are sitting at my feet right now) think about the comfort/safety of your dog in these situations. Is the crowd going to scare them, will they have adequate access to food and water, will there be people there who don't know how to treat dogs and potentially hurt them, will they be overfed, will they be fed things that are poisonous, etc.?  
    Thats true. A lot of people think only chocolate is bad for dogs. Really, most chocolate we eat isn't as dangerous as grapes or onions to a dog. There are a lot of food items that can cause organ failure in dogs. 

This is coming from a person who does not think it's tacky or anything to have a dog in the wedding. I wasn't even thinking about my guests when I made my decision to leave Phoebe at home. I just would worry too much about my baby girl to have considered it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards