Wedding 911

Over-the-top MIL dress

I love my future mom in law. She's a wonderful lady, and she did a wonderful job raising my fiance. She is the most generous and caring person I've ever met and I am so lucky to not have the horror stories that many brides have with their MILs. The only character flaw that stands out is how she loves to be the center of attention.

To paint a picture, my MIL is about 5'10", busty, broad, blonde and proud of it all. I am 5'3", petite, with dark hair.

With that being said, I feel like she may be (subconsciously) trying to out-glam me on the wedding day. My FIL is wearing a kilt, as they are tremendously into their culture. Fine with me, I'm excited about it. BUT she ordered the same tartan (plaid fabric) to incorporate into the dress she is making. She is doing an open back, keyhole neckline, high-low hem, crushed velvet underskirt, tartan train, and (more than likely) six inch heels. She is also putting crystals in her hair, doing a waterfall braid and will look like a medieval, celtic-viking princess. No doubt she will look absolutely stunning.

My dress is a simple, ivory, ruched, fit and flare with a bubble hem. Sweetheart neckline with a dark purple belt. My accessories are minimal and delicate: I'm wearing flats for my ceremony and chuck taylors for the reception.

My concern is that with her extravagant get-up, she will be pulling all of the attention from my fiance and I on our special day.

With about 2.5 months till the wedding, I can't exactly ask her to abandon her dress-making project in exchange for a different, less-loud one.

What do I do?

Re: Over-the-top MIL dress

• You do nothing. Your FMIL will in no way steal your spotlight (unless she shows up in a wedding dress...or naked). This is seriously not something to stress about. There is enough to worry about with wedding planning! Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • You do nothing. Your FMIL will in no way steal your spotlight (unless she shows up in a wedding dress...or naked). This is seriously not something to stress about. There is enough to worry about with wedding planning! Good luck!
    This. Yes, it does sound over-the-top. Do you want to continue having a great relationship with her? If so, then you keep your mouth shut. She's not going to steal attention from you. You are the bride, and I'm sure you're going to look abosolutely stunning. 
  • Goodness, this sounds over the top. Let it bother you for one minute, then let it go. If anyone side eyes it, there will be absolutely no reflection on you.
  • I agree about showing pictures later. Even if she turns out to look amazing, she won't outshine you. She will get some attention, but if she looks like what I picture in my head, it won't be the good kind.
  • There is nothing you can do, but it almost sounds like she's trying to pull your leg with how ridiculous this outfit sounds.

I completely agree with previous posters.. please come back with pictures!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks ladies!! I feel much better after reading your supportive replies.

Will you guys be notified if I post photos on this thread after the wedding?
  • Thanks ladies!! I feel much better after reading your supportive replies.

If we favorite it, yes. Why don't you join in discussions on the main boards?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I may, it's getting closer to my big day so it's tough finding time just to sit for 10 minutes. So much to do!
  • AddieCake said:
    Thanks ladies!! I feel much better after reading your supportive replies.

If we favorite it, yes. Why don't you join in discussions on the main boards?
    I may, it's getting closer to my big day so it's tough finding time just to sit for 10 minutes. So much to do!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards