Chit Chat

What do you know is overpriced but you splurge on it anyways?

Beauty products? Beauty treatments? Clothing/ shoes/ purse brands? Household items? Electronics? Anything? 

Someone yesterday posted a link to a pair of $28 underwear and I thought to myself "What are you, nuts?!" So it got me wondering what people splurge on? 

I am super budget conscious (accountant) so I really don't have any I can think of except for cable and my vacations. Every time a friend mentions a hostel or something I cringe. I don't care if the 4 star hotel costs 10 times more, that's where I'll be!! 

Re: What do you know is overpriced but you splurge on it anyways?

• FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Horse stuff. All the horse stuff. The barn I'm at now is definitely overpriced but I really liked it and blah. 

I am kind of snobby with many things (cookware, appliances, nail polish, clothes, groceries) but I feel you actually do need to pay for quality with those things so idk if it's really a waste of money. I guess I am an all too loyal customer of Rent the Runway. And I love to eat out, even though 9/10 I can cook at least as well myself. 

OK KCups are definitely a waste of money but it's so convenient. 
  • Jeans. I try to be budget smart wise by waiting for a sale on good pairs of jeans. For some reason straight leg normal/dark wash that doesn't go up to your belly button are rare nowadays. Stop making skinny, uber skinney, acid wash, ect!
  • Sweatshirts and brie. Always like, "DON'T CARE, THROW MONEY AT IT. NEED IT"
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Our cable and internet is all I can think of. I tend to be pretty frugal with most things.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I splurge. Sort of. Splurging is in the eye of the beholder.
     So I say, splurge on classics, cheap on fads.

Example: a classic black or gray cashmere cardigan sweater. I will wear it hundreds and hundreds of times. Works with jeans, works for work, works for dress up. So if I spend (trying to remember) I think 150, some people would call it a splurge. However, almost twenty years later, it's still wearable. A 20 dollar Target cardigan lasts about a year, and then loses it's shape or stretches or pills. So I actually paid about 7 dollars a year for wearing a splurge, which ends up being not a splurge.

The same with a handbag. If I buy a cheap bag, it will need to be replaced. Straps wear out, the bottom scuffs, hardware breaks. So I want at least ten years from a good, well made leather bag. Not a trendy shape or size. 

I do splurge on perfume. I love love love Jo Malone's orange blossom scent, and I spray it on my pillow cases and towels, as if I could afford it. (I can't, but somehow do.) That's a splurge. Self indulgent, can't be justified. Don't care. I fall asleep to incredible delicate orange blossom dreams every night, and price be damned. (I will absolutely not buy the 65 dollar scented candle. I have my limits. But oh, I wish I could!)

I splurge on food. I hate crappy food, hate premade boxed food, hate cakes from a mix, so I splurge. 
  • Anything that is for long-term usage (cookware, tools, kitchen appliances, etc.), we're willing to spend more money on as we treat these as investment pieces. Also, our sports memorabilia collection. For a pair of apartment dwellers, we have an awful lot of signed baseballs.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Oh and underwear. Victoria's Secret is a silly company, but their bras and underwear do indeed seem to fit me the best, damn them. I always wait for a sale though. 
  • H and I definitely eat out more than we need to. H also likes craft beers.

Our fish were a definite splurge.

I don't Splurge much on single items. My high end shoes I currently own I bought on clearance, same with higher end clothing. But I make up for not splurging on single items by buying lots of stuff. I'm terrible because I justify "oh, well this dress is only 10 bucks, and this shirt us 5.....so..." and then over the course of the month, I've dropped 100 bucks on clothes I didn't really need.

Anniversary
  • Oh, yes, I definitely splurge on my perfume. Well, my husband does; he always buys it for me for Christmas.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • @ohannabelle I can get on board with quality clothing that will last a while. I do have $10 shirts but I don't mess around with cheap winter ski coats or cheapy heels/ running shoes. 

@beethery @lolo883 I LOOOVE fancy cheese but I only get it on special occasions like holidays. Otherwise I'd just demolish it too much, too often. 

• Shoes, but I almost always wear flip flops.

Drinking while out for dinner. I spent $40 on a glass of champagne in London and then bought a whole bottle for $13 after we got home.

Spa treatments. I go to the Red Door Spa for everything, but their prices are twice what I could get at a nail salon or smaller day spa.

Business class airfare. super expensive, but to me, it's worth the comfort and rest I get on long flights.

• AddieCake said:
    Oh, yes, I definitely splurge on my perfume. Well, my husband does; he always buys it for me for Christmas.
    I forgot about this. I put too much money into my perfumes.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I splurge on Lululemon. I know their prices are absurd, but their clothes fit me fantastically and I feel good in them. There's not many clothes that make me feel good like that, so it's worth it to me. Plus, H loves my ass in them, so it's a win for everyone.

• Shoes mostly its so hard to find my  size whatever I find I wear.  

H splurges on jewelry and perfume for me.  All of the jewelry he has ever bought except for the wedding band and engagement ring are from Tiffany's.

We probably eat out more than we should too.

Anniversary

• Haha, I was the one with the $28 underwear.  Let it be known that I bought them on sale!  I'd rather spend $20 for one good pair that will last and last, than $20 for 5 pairs that I'll throw out in a few months because the elastic will stretch or they will get a spot.

That's how I shop in general, too.  I will never buy something if I think it's overpriced for what it is, but I will always choose quality over quantity.  I will spend a lot of money on one really great thing rather than a few ho-hum items. I do have an aversion to paying full price for ANYTHING though, so I will stalk a particular item I like until it goes on sale.

So, what do I really splurge on even when I know it's not worth it?  Lately, it's take-out food.  I know that I can make something just as yummy for half the cost in ingredients at home.  But things have been so busy with studying that we've gotten take out once a week for the past, say, three weeks.  I know it's dumb but I just get. so. tired.

I splurge on Lululemon. I know their prices are absurd, but their clothes fit me fantastically and I feel good in them. There's not many clothes that make me feel good like that, so it's worth it to me. Plus, H loves my ass in them, so it's a win for everyone.

I will spend on Lululemon and Athleta, too.  But for all the reasons you noted, I don't think it's overpriced for what it is.  Dramatically different workout performance vs. other brands, plus it if makes you feel that good, I say it's worth it!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Lots of things. DH and I like little luxuries. We splurge on liquor, food (including cheese!), coffee. I splurge on makeup at Sephora, yarn, and cookware. I have bought an $11 pint of ice cream not once but twice. Between eating out and groceries, our monthly food bill is embarrassing.
  • I love Victoria Secret.  I know it's so stupid, and for years I was so embarrassed about the money I spent there....but like PPs have said, I feel good in their stuff, and I feel sexy, so it's worth it to me.

FI and I also splurge on good wine.  And we are without a doubt REI's bitches.
    Anniversary

• Lulu is mine too, but at the same time, I work in it, and it's all I wear, so maybe it's a necessary then??  That's what I'll tell myself at least  

• I used to splurge on VS, but then I figured out they were lying to me about my true bra size so I'd buy from them. So, now, i'm stuck buying these ridiculously expensive bras that don't have matching sets :(

• smichek said:
    Cupcakes. I can't justify $4 per cupcake, but then you go to Gigi's and you're like FUCK IT, I WANT FOUR JUST FOR ME. YOU HAVE COCONUT? MAKE IT SIX.
    Gigi's did our wedding cake and cupcakes!
  • edited July 2014
    I splurge on the cats. They have ground walnut kitty litter and eat high-quality cat food, his cat is special needs (urinary) so has a whole different set of issues, etc.

ETA: And they have more toys than any other cat I've met. My kitty's toy box literally says "Princess."
  • I splurge on the cats. They have ground walnut kitty litter and eat high-quality cat food, his cat is special needs (urinary) so has a whole different set of issues, etc.

ETA: And they have more toys than any other cat I've met. My kitty's toy box literally says "Princess."
    I do this too! They are total spoiled brats :) they eat prescription food because the one has a food allergy and they drink bottled water.

• My biggest splurge is deffinatly eating out - me and other half must spend about 30pounds a week at the moment on it, which believe it or not is a massive decrease on what we used to spend. 

My biggest thing for me is deffinatly my hair - £80 every 6 weeks, i know I could get it for £45 - like 5 minutes away when the expensive one is an hour away, but I cant help it - first and last thing you see is my hair so i will splurge.

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Bras in my size are $50+ and I usually like to get panties to match, so they're usually $20+.

I'd like to "splurge" on furniture, but that's on hold right now until the wedding's over.  Then we'll be updating our furniture and saving for a house.  

Winter boots.  I used to get shitty cheap boots, that I would have to replace every one or two years.  But since I work outside, I caved and went to a fancy shoe place and bought some new boots this year.  Hopefully they last a long time (and will save me money in time because I won't have to buy new ones for a while) and keep my feet warm.  

Text books for school.  I only buy new, I just like it better that way even though I could save money by buying them used I wouldn't like the suspense of just how "used" it would be and waiting for it to ship.  

Occasionally I'll go out for ice cream or something and know it is a rip off/over priced, but I don't really care; it's worth it IMO.
  • Wine and delicious Tequila and Bourbon...Whenever I am in Nordstrom I go for the Jimmy Choo and Manolo Blahnik pumps. I know they are overpriced but I am just a sucker for shoes.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• AlexisA01 said:
    Wine and delicious Tequila and Bourbon...Whenever I am in Nordstrom I go for the Jimmy Choo and Manolo Blahnik pumps. I know they are overpriced but I am just a sucker for shoes.
    Oh crap I envy you. I think a pair of socks at Nordstrom is too expensive hahaha. I don't EVER shop retail or department stores. 

• I love Nordstrom too! I don't wear heels, but I have a ton of shoes from there!

• lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Mostly food. I eat mostly organic food but I don't think it's overpriced. I think the other crap is under priced. I also spend a lot on Kitty's food. Also, going out to eat. I have a very sensitive stomach and get nauseous really easily. For some reason, sushi is always something that agrees with my stomach. So I eat that fairly often. I'll also drop $500 on a dinner for two but haven't bought a pair of sneakers in about 15 years (I work out barefoot) and I refuse to spend money on a new pair. In all other areas of life, I am pretty frugal. No TV, I look for coupons, drive a 7 year old car, etc. Buuut I did just hire the cleaning lady. She's worth every dime.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards