Chit Chat

NWR: Did you have a rebellious phase?

My hand hurts from writing flashcards and I need a break.  I want to hear stories of your wild youth!

My cousin (he's 17) is going through some serious ish and has been behaving way out of line, culminating in an incident in which the police could have given him a DUI ticket but let him off the hook.  My aunt has him as grounded as grounded can get.  His ass is grass.  I think she's handling it really well.

Aunt said she'd like Fi to talk to him-- you know, younger guy, good example, yadda yadda.  Neither Fi nor I had rebellious phases, like at all.  So Fi doesn't have much experience to draw on, although I do think just being around a 20-something who's made good decisions in life can't hurt.

The worst things I ever did were drink moderate amounts of alcohol and have protected, monogamous sex with Fi, both at age 16.  I'm pretty boring.

Who went through a rebellious phase?  I'm figuring you probably just had to make your own choices to come out of it and nobody could have said magic words to you, right?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: NWR: Did you have a rebellious phase?

• Nope, I was a giant goodie two-shoes. I skipped class for the first time freshman year of college, and hid in my dorm room like the teacher was going to somehow see me otherwise. (Had never skipped class before because, you know, home school). Got drunk for the first time at 19 and told my sister (aka roommate) that I had food poisoning. Thought she believed me. Not so much. Didn't have sex til I was 22. I think my biggest act of rebellion is Facebook-disagreeing with some of my bigoted family members.

I will say though, my reasons for being "good" through college had nothing to do with anything my parents told me. I did it for me.

jnrsgirl
  • Nope, I was a giant goodie two-shoes. I skipped class for the first time freshman year of college, and hid in my dorm room like the teacher was going to somehow see me otherwise. (Had never skipped class before because, you know, home school). Got drunk for the first time at 19 and told my sister (aka roommate) that I had food poisoning. Thought she believed me. Not so much. Didn't have sex til I was 22. I think my biggest act of rebellion is Facebook-disagreeing with some of my bigoted family members.

I will say though, my reasons for being "good" through college had nothing to do with anything my parents told me. I did it for me.
    Yeah, I was always this way too.  My dad's a drug addict and I just didn't want that for myself.  I was alone for long stretches of time after school so I could have been up to all kinds of shenanigans, but it just wasn't for me.  My parents weren't strict, I was just self-motivated.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Wow, I feel like I shouldn't post! It all started in Jr. High. Smoking cigarettes, sneaking out, having sex (pregnant right after high school), drinking, getting into all sorts of drugs for a while, and having my parents call the cops on me 'cause I took their car and came back late (they were awesome enough to let that slide but wanted to teach me a lesson - the only thing the cops could do was speak to me on the phone when I came home, otherwise I could have gone to jail). With all of that I never skipped school (graduated in the bottom 25% of my class), didn't steal, have held a job when I wanted to (I have gone times without working but for the most part I have, and will hold them for a few years at a time if I like where I work), and attended college getting my GPA up to a 2.something (it was less than a 1 when I went back). I've only been arrested once when my ex called the cops on me for fighting back (a few years ago he cornered me, hit me a few times, then got to the phone first). I still smoke cigarettes (trying to quit) and drink but I've been of legal age for 10+ years!
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Yeah.  I was in my early teens and did some pretty out of character things.  I mentioned it before on here, but anyways, I met a lot men from online who were much older (I lied about my age) and either went to hotels or their place (a few of them we went for dinner or to a movies first) and had sexual encounters.  I would skip school to go see these guys, so I would write myself notes or arrange it on a day I had a legitimate appointment so I'd go to the appointment then meet up with whoever it was.  I might have broken the law before in other ways way back when by, let's say, stealing (to all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt).
  • I was wild. I read ALL the books my mom told me not to. :D

My brother and middle sister were wilder than me by a long shot. Bro got caught with a pack of cigarettes at 15 and has smoked weed since not long after that. Sissy spent her entire junior prom night WASTED (shamefully off of alcohol I purchased - haven't purchased for anyone underage since and won't ever), smokes weed and cigarettes and has since about her junior year, got caught shoplifting on a school trip ... also her junior year. Apparently her junior year was a busy one...

Bro's in Paul Mitchell School, loving it. Sis is gainfully employed (she just sent me a $4500 venue and offered to help pay for it because "the beach isn't YOU, CaitTDid! It's not Y'ALL!" '-.- ) and doing well for herself. Both, admittedly, still smoke, drink and Smoke. But they've settled.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I kinda had a "phase". I was a goth kid in high school. I didn't drink or do drugs though. I smoked a little but never form the habit. I was always in trouble at school though. I was picked on a lot and I fought back but since I wasn't the high school prep squad I was the one who got in trouble. I hung out with people my parents didn't like and came home late. They were a bad crowd who got in trouble with the police a lot. I never did though. I went to heavy metal concerts without telling my parents with those friends. I think what changed was I started to accept myself and work on being happy. I'm a lot happier now than what I use to be.
  • Cookie PusherCookie Pusher member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    I would write about my teenage/college years, but I'm pretty sure statutes of limitation haven't run out on everything yet!
    ~*~*~*~*~

JCbride2015theartistformerlyknownaspinkcow13
  • I too was a good kid. Monagomous sex with then BF now FI was it. I did get pregnant at 17 so on the surface it looked bad but that was the worst of my offenses. I didny foght wiyh my parents, did sports, went to school everyday, top of my class and got a full scholarship to collage . Didn't do so well there having a baby as a freshman and all but I did finish in 4 years. I didn't drink till I was 20.

My brother though was a party animal by the age of 16 and dropped out of high school and got a GED. He was smart and bored and liked beer. He turned out mostly ok. A little lazy is all.
  • My parents lucked out with my brother and I. Neither of us really went through a rebellious stage. Beyond sneaking out of the house once and breaking curfew a couple of times I was pretty well-behaved all through high school. 

• Nope. I was more along the lines of little miss homecoming court. I never rebelled at all. I did have a lot of sex in high school though which my mother pretends to act like she NEVER knew happened. I never drank alcohol until my 21st birthday, never snuck out a day in my life, probably didn't back talk. My mom was single and worked really hard to give me a good life so I took it easy on her.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh god. For a year in high school I was wild. I got drunk, smoked a bunch of weed, snuck out, etc, etc. I think I was mostly acting out due to not being able to control and manage my anxiety and depression. My wild days were short lived, however. Now at 19, I'm an old lady. (:
  • Most of my rebellious shit happened when I was 18. I'm an only child and my mother was EXTREMELY clingy and controlling. Like wouldn't let me go to fucking Barnes and Noble by myself because she wanted to know what I was buying so my options were either to let her tag along, or not go. I am still a very do-things-by-myself oriented person. Plus, she is a nightmare to shop with. She and I have very different tastes, and I also check things out online, find things I like, try them on at the store and then if I like it, I buy it and leave.

Anyway. My aunt and her family lived with us for a while. My aunt has known my whole life what a controlling person my mom is, so she would actually help me sneak out of the house to see friends. After they moved out, I decided I hated working at the grocery store, so I became a stripper for a while. Good money. Parents have absolutely no idea, and thought I just made killer money as a cocktail waitress. I also went on multiple short road trips by myself because I wanted to go to a concert in another region, or whatever the hell I wanted to do.

She's loosened the vice-grip since I moved in with FI. Which is odd because before I moved in with him, she would give me SO MUCH SHIT for spending the night over there too much. Before I started dating him, I was doing freelance design and playing video games, so I rarely left the house. She told me I should get out more. I start dating a guy and things get kind of serious, she wants me to stay home more. Now I live with him and she is happy about it. Odd. I now only go on grocery store/costco collaborative trips with her.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• ElcaBElcaB member
    (*Raises hand*) 

I diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid! 

I was a really good kid for the most part and very responsible. Then, my junior year, I went through a pretty rough breakup with a guy I had been dating on and off since HS. I decided to drink a lot & kiss a LOT of guys to get through the tough times. My friends and I referred to me as the "everything-but slut" because I drew the line at having sex with any randos. 

I'd leave the house and sneak in through my window at 3 a.m. right before my mom woke up. Eesh! 

I look back on that time and cringe, really hard. 
  • I was the golden child growing up. Nerdy little band kid who only hung out with other nerdy kids. I never snuck out of the house, didn't break my curfew, parties were non-existant. I did have sex when I was 17, right before I graduated high school - that was about the most rebellious thing I did. Didn't drink until I was 18 (made a promise to my dad), which made my first semester of college difficult (my birthday isn't until the end of November). I didn't smoke anything until I was 19 and it was sporadic. I partied some in college but nothing crazy. I'm still just as boring to this day. The story of how FI and I got together is probably one of the only out of character things I've done.

My sister on the other hand was slightly out of control. She still is. She would skip school on the regular, dated a 20 year old when she was 15, doing drugs, sleeping around. She ended up not graduating high school and just got her GED about a year ago (she was 25). My dad was a single dad raising two teenage girls so seeing her act out and the stress it put on him motivated me even more to behave.

Who went through a rebellious phase?  I'm figuring you probably just had to make your own choices to come out of it and nobody could have said magic words to you, right?
    Oh my god, did I ever have a rebellious phase. A rebellious 10 years is more like it. To a certain extent, there's not much other people could do, but I'm grateful my parents still provided a firmly loving structure. If I got too out of hand, they called me on my shit. Like reinstating a curfew when I lived at home even though I was over 18 (too many days coming home at dawn), or finally threatening to stop helping me pay for college if I didn't get my act together. My brother was also pretty much trouble—arrests for DUI and possession, fights, etc. 

I don't know how my parents did it, but they managed to not be too authoritarian, or too permissive, and we always knew they loved us and knew we owed it to them to behave better. And now we're both well-balanced, successful adults! 
  • jenna8984jenna8984 member
    edited July 2014

Wow I am surprised that some of you never did anything really bad!! My brother is 15 months older than me and I wanted to be like him so he took me to keg parties when I was 14, we smoked pot together a lot starting at 14, snuck out at night all time, did a little bit of acid phase at 15, some running from the cops and hiding in bushes when the parties got busted. I always had detention just for being a smart mouth and arguing with teachers. My parents didn't mind because they taught me not to take shit from people.

At 17 my best friend and I both dated drug dealers and eventually my brother became one. I never did coke/ herion/ ecstasy like they all did, I drew the line at pot. But I always got good grades, I drank a lot in college but did well. Honestly, my parents didn't worry because they knew my brother and I were smarter than to make that our lives, they knew it was just a young phase and they were right. We both gave up everything and have sober since 23 years old, have good jobs, houses, families. I appreciated being able to explore and make those mistakes and experiences without them all over my ass about it. FI had the exact same teen years as me (didn't know him then) and we love talking about it together. I don't know if I could be with someone who never had that stage and didn't know what those experiences were like.

ETA- I also had a phase where I scared young children with my black lipstick, purple hair, and numerous chains. But by senior year of high school I was wearing Abercrombie like the other sheep and I got voted "most changed" lol

• I got drunk once at 16 and got grounded for the rest of the summer. It wasn't until after my parents divorced that I even thought of drinking again. At that point I was 18 and still very smart about it. 

I never had that phase I guess. I never smoked anything, cigarettes, pot. I never tried drugs. I didn't sleep around or date the wrong type of people. I made good grades and graduated high school second in my class and did really well in college.

FI, OTOH, definitely had a rebellion phase. He has always been very smart and did well in school. He played football in high school. He started smoking pot and experimenting with drugs. He partied and drank on the weekends. Played silly pranks. Even then he still did well in high school, but waited 4 years to start college. When we started dating, he knew I wouldn't be comfortable with some of those things, so he stopped.

• There are too many stories to tell. Lots of close calls, it is a miracle I did not end in some kind of official trouble.

I have to say of all the stupid shit people do, if you can avoid addictions, legal trouble and financial trouble, I think you can come out of phases just dusting off your jacket with some solid stories.
    *********************************************************************************

• Ooh ooh I do have a story! I almost got arrested once! Brace yourselves, it's a doozy. 

Junior year of college. I was 20. Most of my friends were 21. We were drinking at some friends' condo, and decided we wanted McDonald's. It was about quarter to 3, and the one across the street was open 24 hours. So we walked. I wasn't DRUNK-drunk, but I was definitely beyond "zero tolerance" and we were all pretty slap-happy. We knew that we weren't supposed to walk through the drive-through, so we started acting like cars.

Yup. Vrooming noises, steering, I played with the radio and rolled down the window. We were super cool. Friends B and A in front of my and K's "car" "rear-ended" the actual car in front of them. Just walked right into their bumper. Walked around to the driver's window and apologized, asked if they were ok, said there was no damage, the works. Really played it up. Anyway, MIGHT have tipped off the employees that we were not entirely sober.

So two friends get their food and go home. K and I get our food, "pull over" onto the curb and start eating. But B and A hadn't gotten their food yet, when B realizes a) it's 3am but b) it's daylight saving day "spring forward" so it's really 4am aka breakfast hours and c) now he really wants a McGriddle. He tries to get their attention to change his order, to no avail. He then tries to CLIMB IN THE WINDOW. Oh shit. Now it's quite obvious that they're withholding food and likely cowering in the freezer in fear. But B refuses to leave until he has his food.

Sure enough, cops roll up. I start FREAKING THE FUCK OUT because I'm the only one underage. K tries to calm me down, I'm two breaths from hyperventilating that I'm gonna get arrested and my parents are gonna disown me. "It's ok," he says, "they'll drive right by." Nope, they pull in. "It's fiiiine, they're just hungry. Just want some sandwiches." Nope, they pull up to us and roll down the window. I instantly enact my best Perky McSoberface impression.

"Hello there young lady."
    "Hello officers! How are you?"
    "Just fine, just fine... what are you guys up to tonight?"
    "Oh you know, just came up to get some McChickens."
    "I see that. And where's your car?"
    "You know, we just live across the street, and with the price of gas these days, and the ozone layer, we thought it was best to walk! And it's such a beautiful night!"
    "Indeed it is. You wouldn't be causing any trouble up here, would you? We got a call that there were some kids causing trouble."
    "Oh no sir... like I said, we're just getting our food and about to leave. Those kids must have left already."
    "Alrighty then, you walk safe and have a good night!" Drives away.

And we ran like hell.

thisismynickname2
  • Ooh ooh I do have a story! I almost got arrested once! Brace yourselves, it's a doozy. 

Junior year of college. I was 20. Most of my friends were 21. We were drinking at some friends' condo, and decided we wanted McDonald's. It was about quarter to 3, and the one across the street was open 24 hours. So we walked. I wasn't DRUNK-drunk, but I was definitely beyond "zero tolerance" and we were all pretty slap-happy. We knew that we weren't supposed to walk through the drive-through, so we started acting like cars.

Yup. Vrooming noises, steering, I played with the radio and rolled down the window. We were super cool. Friends B and A in front of my and K's "car" "rear-ended" the actual car in front of them. Just walked right into their bumper. Walked around to the driver's window and apologized, asked if they were ok, said there was no damage, the works. Really played it up. Anyway, MIGHT have tipped off the employees that we were not entirely sober.

So two friends get their food and go home. K and I get our food, "pull over" onto the curb and start eating. But B and A hadn't gotten their food yet, when B realizes a) it's 3am but b) it's daylight saving day "spring forward" so it's really 4am aka breakfast hours and c) now he really wants a McGriddle. He tries to get their attention to change his order, to no avail. He then tries to CLIMB IN THE WINDOW. Oh shit. Now it's quite obvious that they're withholding food and likely cowering in the freezer in fear. But B refuses to leave until he has his food.

Sure enough, cops roll up. I start FREAKING THE FUCK OUT because I'm the only one underage. K tries to calm me down, I'm two breaths from hyperventilating that I'm gonna get arrested and my parents are gonna disown me. "It's ok," he says, "they'll drive right by." Nope, they pull in. "It's fiiiine, they're just hungry. Just want some sandwiches." Nope, they pull up to us and roll down the window. I instantly enact my best Perky McSoberface impression.

"Hello there young lady."
    "Hello officers! How are you?"
    "Just fine, just fine... what are you guys up to tonight?"
    "Oh you know, just came up to get some McChickens."
    "I see that. And where's your car?"
    "You know, we just live across the street, and with the price of gas these days, and the ozone layer, we thought it was best to walk! And it's such a beautiful night!"
    "Indeed it is. You wouldn't be causing any trouble up here, would you? We got a call that there were some kids causing trouble."
    "Oh no sir... like I said, we're just getting our food and about to leave. Those kids must have left already."
    "Alrighty then, you walk safe and have a good night!" Drives away.

And we ran like hell.
    This is the kind of encounter that would have TERRIFIED goody two shoes me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• The worst thing I ever did was stay out 1 hour past curfew. Lame, I know. Luckily my FI is just as boring as me. Sometimes we joke about it!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I had a rebellious phase from 14 to 16. I was a handful. I smoked pot, I drank, I smoked cigarettes, I skipped class. I was suspended from school twice. I ran away from home more than once. But I was never arrested and I still got good grades. I just had a lot of issues to work out. I was also in an abusive relationship. 

I don't think anything anyone could have said would have made me snap out of it. It was just something I needed to go through. Once I broke up with my HS boyfriend and started my senior year, I snapped out of it. I knew that wasn't the life I wanted. I saw a few friends end up in jail over some of their actions and it was enough to scare me. 
  • I tried to have a rebellious phase! I drank, I smoked pot, I fucked girls! I fucked girls way too old for me! I got tattoos! My parents though, were fine with all of that. What. The. Fuck! I was trying to piss them off and they were like "Whatever, don't get caught by the po-po because we aren't bailing your ass out and you will not do well in jail" (they are right, I would do very badly in jail, I'm not very big, but I am very mouthy), I still do a lot of now when I did then. Except the fucking older girls thing. Though, wait, FI is older then me. 5 months!

My biggest rebellion story was when I was 14, I played my divorced parents against each other to go get a tattoo. I asked my dad and he hemmed and hawed but eventually said fine he'd take me to get one. And then as we were leaving the house he stopped and said "Wait, does your mom know about this" and I said yes of course. Which was technically not a lie. My mom knew I wanted a tattoo. She had also said no way in hell until I was 18. But dad just asked if she knew, not if she approved. So when dad brought me back home at the end of the weekend he's telling mom "Oh yeah, here's her after care instructions for her tattoo", my mom used some very creative cuss words. And after that two things were determined 1) they wound up with a smart kid, fuck and 2) smart kids really need to be watched much more carefully. After that if I so much as wanted a new shirt, they checked in with each other. And mom signed for my second tattoo at 16.

I ditched school a few times, had a fake ID, snuck into a few movies, went to more then a few parties in the desert and have been questioned by police. Never arrested or detained. Just questioned. And then free to leave. And I got a speeding ticket when I was 18. I was doing 70mph in a 45. I was almost in tears when the officer gave me my ticket. 

Oh! Oh! Funny police story!  So I was about 15, didn't have my driver's licesne yet think I had my permit though, and I was at this big house party where everyone was getting shitfaced. Anyways, cops come to bust it up and everyone scatters. I was pretty damn drunk and had been making out with the head cheerleader when we heard the cops and she ran all scared they were gonna tell her parents she was with a girl (yeah, that's what cops care about). Anyways I come stumbling out of the room, one heel on, one heel off, look up at the cop and say "My mommy said if I need help to find a police officer. I need help. And a ride home" and then I fell on my ass and just sat there looking at the cop who I swear was trying so hard not to laugh.

They did give me a lift home and told my mom I was very smart to not try to drive and to ask for help. And my mom just laughed at me and then woke me up fucking early and let my hangover punish me. 
    theartistformerlyknownasJCbride2015emmaaabeethery
  • Hahahah @magicink I love your stories.  That cop must have thought you were hilarious.

I did actually have a brush with the law, come to think of it.  I had only been 21 for a few months and I was DD one night out with a few friends at a brewpub.  I had one beer pretty early in the night and we went home when they closed at 2, so I was definitely safe to drive.

As we are leaving, Friend and Fi want to smoke.  Gross.  So I went to sit in the car (it was cold) while they smoked on the sidewalk.  I turned on the dash lights and waited until they were done.  They got in the car, I pulled out of the parking spot, and was IMMEDIATELY pulled over by a cop.  Huh?

Turns out I hadn't put my headlights on.  It was a brightly lit downtown area, and my dash lights were on so I didn't notice.  The cop obviously saw us come out of the bar.  He started basically interrogating me about how much I drank, had me say the alphabet, tell him where were from and where we were going.  I was so nervous I actually switched up my hometown and Fi's.

Meanwhile the peanut gallery in the backseat is giggling, fidgeting, and the minute the cop goes back to his car they burst out laughing at me.  Silly drunk boys.

I did not get a ticket, but the cop did actually follow us out of town.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

VulgarGirl
  • @JcBride2015 I have forgotten to turn my headlights on too many times to count. Pretty much every time I'm in town at night. I'm so used to it being dark (with no streetlights or anything) at my house, I forget. 

• emmaaa said:
    @JcBride2015 I have forgotten to turn my headlights on too many times to count. Pretty much every time I'm in town at night. I'm so used to it being dark (with no streetlights or anything) at my house, I forget. 
    I've done it too, many times.  I'm sure I would have realized in a minute once I got away from the bright lights, but he pulled me over just because he saw us come out of the bar.

I also was pulled over once after going through a yellow (not red) light in a very bad inner-city neighborhood where I taught high school.  I'm pretty sure the cop assumed I must only be there to buy drugs.  The first thing he said to me was, "What are you DOING here?"  "I'm a teacher right there [point to building]."

"You're a teacher?  You've got enough problems.  Good luck!"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

emmaaaVulgarGirlaspoonfulofsugarslothiegal
  • Hahaha @JCBride2015 the same thing happened to me! I had actually gone to pick up a friend from the bar, and pulled out with no lights on. Derp.

I also had an incident of just getting caught up talking to friends, not realizing the light I'd been stopped at for a full minute was blinking red, not a full red. Laughed at myself, looked right, saw nobody was coming, pulled ahead... nope, 1-way street with traffic coming from the left, nearly got T-boned. It was a cop. Lovely. Pulled me over immediately, assuming I was shit-faced. Sober as a saint, just apparently a really terrible driver. :-p

• One time when I first got my driver's license, I was bringing my bestie home from school (which was illegal in my state you have to be licensed for 6 months before you can have non licensed passengers). A guy from school thought it would be fun to pass me and I thought "no way!" and sped up so he couldn't. We got into a bit of a street race, at which point I needed to make my turn, did not slow down enough, drifted around the corner into a "slow children" sign (Oh the irony). We weren't going that fast just too fast for the turn, so we weren't injured or anything but my headlight was busted. I was so scared that my parents would take away the car (it was a clunker that we split paying for) so I put my brother's hockey tape all over it and told them "I was just putzing along and I looked at the radio for too long that I just slightly went off the road, no bg deal!" They totally bought it lol.

Another time it was 3am and I was having a bad trip on acid at this girl's house and just desperately wanted to be at home in my own bed. So I called my dad and told him I was sick from eating too much junk food (I was 15). He kept saying sleep it off, stick it out, I'll get you in the morning but I BEGGED to death until he agreed to come get me. I told him about it years later and he laughed and said "you really think I believed you about junk food?"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards