Snarky Brides

Pinterest: Nice in theory, not in practice

So I know how much we all love to snark on Pinterest!  Have you ever seen ideas that aren't actually Pinstrosity worthy and actually look really nice?  But then you think about it and go, "It looks cute, but try to actually use it, it'd be terrible!"

Those ideas that look like a professional crafter/decorator/artist made/created it just for a picture but never actually used it in practice.

This looks really pretty.  But think about it hung high on a wall.  Those roses will be getting dusty and looking dingy in just a few weeks.  High on a wall, it will be a pain to clean.  Even if it was low, all the little crevices would still be a pain to clean.

This looks really pretty.  But my first thought was fire hazard!  Don't all Christmas lights specifically come with warnings not to put them close to fabric or drapes?

Caption: "DIY Sparkly Bottle Steps Perfect for a New Year's Eve Gift, Graduation, Wedding or any holiday!" 

I see there's no step for spraying some sort of lacquer over the top.  I do hope your friends and family enjoy getting glitter all over their hands, clothes, car, house etc.

Aaaaand, go!

Re: Pinterest: Nice in theory, not in practice

• I have thought the same thing with 'gold glitter champagne glass' tutorials...mmm, a mouthful of glitter. I think folks who have time to dip bottles, antlers, table legs etc. in glitter need to find a better hobby.
  • Yeah, there's a lot of crap out there that clearly hasn't been thought through.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Marzipan13Marzipan13 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    goldchocobo said:Knowing me, I'd have a really awesome art project that I can show people in the ER... ----------------------------------------etf:sitb-------------------------------------------

My eyebrows and/or fingertips would be
    gone in like, 10 seconds. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • I always wondered about those tutorials where you can cut wine bottle tops or bottoms off and use them as vases and candle holders:

Knowing me, I'd have a really awesome art project that I can show people in the ER...
    Yeah, that's just asking for trouble. I'd probably end up burning the kitchen down. 
  • I've also heard of multiple attempts to make dried strawberries in the oven.  I have tried this and failed.  I guess I am doomed to live life eating fresh strawberries instead of dried ones.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I have determined that it's gift. You can either make pinterest come to life, or you can't. I am in the can't camp but my sister (aka wedding diy life support) is phenomenal at it! She made those wine glasses with the glitter on the stem as favors for my bachelorette party (we went on a wine tour) and the glitter stayed put- I've used mine 3 times and washed it and still looks good.

most of my pinterest fails revolve around recipes...
  • Those champagne bottles made me twitch thinking about all that fucking glitter all over my house for the next twenty years.
    Anniversary

• I tend to think of Pinterest as what NOT to do... If only because I lack the artistic sensibility to get it right.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I use pinterest as a way to supplement my own creativity. I don't do exactly what I see when I find something I like, I usually find something and change it or put my own twist to it and it always ends up working...I think that's being realistic. Trying to copy something exactly is where people tend to fail. Also, I know what my limitations are...ridiculously detailed nail art...never going to "nail" it. hehe I heart puns.
  • I always wondered about those tutorials where you can cut wine bottle tops or bottoms off and use them as vases and candle holders:

Knowing me, I'd have a really awesome art project that I can show people in the ER...
    Yeah, that's just asking for trouble. I'd probably end up burning the kitchen down. 
    My H and I actually did the wine bottle thing for our centerpieces! The fire way was really stupid admittedly....the best way was to score the bottles then you pour hot water over than cold water and they just break clean at the score. As long as you wear work gloves you are good!
  • I bought a whole bunch of ribbon to do this.  
    It's a Martha Stewart craft.  I could not get it to work. The knots would not stay tied and flat.  I think you'd need a bunch of glue or cardboard on the back or tie it around a cardboard hoop.

However, I did get the idea on Pinterest to glue stuff to my basic white candles (left over from the wedding that had purple ribbon tied around them) to decorate them for Christmas.  They turned out really nice. I glued small rhinestones in snowflake, stars and just geometric designs.
  • My H and I actually did the wine bottle thing for our centerpieces! The fire way was really stupid admittedly....the best way was to score the bottles then you pour hot water over than cold water and they just break clean at the score. As long as you wear work gloves you are good!
    YOU ARE BRILLIANT!!!!!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards