Budget Weddings Forum

Pot luck reception

My fiancé and I are toying with the idea of having a pot luck wedding reception for a variety of reasons.  (1) We live out in the country (minimum an hour away from a major city) and to hire a caterer to come to our house would cost a fortune and (2) we do not want to spend a ton of money on a wedding.  (3) We want to share our day with everyone we know and make it more like a big backyard party. 

For those of you who've done pot luck receptions, what would you suggest and what would you have done differently?  Would it be okay to "suggest" to people what to bring so that we don't end up with 100 potato salads?

Also, we plan on supplying the alcohol beverages. Is there any law against this?  We will not be charging for the drinks, so I don't think we'll need a liquor licence...right? We will strongly encourage smart drinking and designated drivers, because public transportation is not an option.

TIA
The very honourable future Mrs. Tracy McMillan

Re: Pot luck reception

• Yeah, don't do this. Have a cake and punch reception, as long as you don't have it over a meal time, no one will miss food. It's also very budget friendly. 

Anniversary
  • Potluck parties are fine for church suppers, family get-togethers, block parties.
    THEY ARE RUDE AND INAPPROPRIATE FOR WEDDINGS!

There is no reason to spend a lot of money on a nice wedding.  Have an afternoon ceremony in your backyard, and serve tea sandwiches, cake, coffee and punch.  This is much more traditional than modern blow-out weddings with expensive food, open bar, etc.  Your grandmother might have been married like this.
    My sister was married in a city park shelter, and served a pig roast lunch with potato salad and coleslaw from the grocery store.  Cake was decorated sheet cake, also from the grocery store.  It was a lovely wedding.
    One rule to remember:  You must provide a chair for every butt. 
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I've been to one and to be honest, it affected the amount of money that I gave as a gift. I deducted what I spent on food from the amount of money that I had planned on giving the couple. It's one thing if your family & friends go hey "is there anything I can do to help out" compared to requiring your guests to help pay for & host your reception. And yes, that is what you are doing by asking everyone to bring a dish, asking them to help pay for & host your reception.
  • edited July 2014
    Please don't do this. It's tacky and rude. 

Think of what you said - you don't want to spend a lot of money, so you'd like to put the burden of providing all the food on your guests. Can you see how incredibly rude that sounds? 

Food safety also comes into play here. How will the food be kept at proper temperatures? What about people with food allergies? 
    What if you get 4 dishes of macaroni salad and nothing else?
  • Telling people what to bring and "strongly encourage smart drinking" is controlling. Treat your guests with respect.
  • 1) Potluck is never OK.

2) You're planning on buying alcohol but not food?  Easy fix: dry wedding with food instead.

3) If you do hire a caterer, and still have money for alcohol, even if you don't need a license there is an element of liability.  If someone drinks too much and falls or drives afterwards, you could be liable.  Get an event insurance policy and disclose that alcohol will be served.  Some policies will only insure a certain amount, or will decline to insure, if a bartender is not serving the alcohol because the bartender can decline to pour another drink for an over-served guest and check IDs to make sure minors are not drinking.  Look into hiring a bartender service but providing the alcohol to cut the cost.  Many caterers have bartenders on staff, even if the caterer isn't providing the alcohol.
  • Nope nope nope. 

You are the hosts. It is your responsibility to provide for your guests. A wedding reception not just any old party; it is hosted to thank your guests for witnessing and supporting your wedding and marriage. The rules are different from other parties in that it's completely 100% wrong to ask guests to contribute toward hosting themselves. So while it's completely OK to ask Aunt Suzy to bring dinner rolls for Thanksgiving, you CANNOT do it for a wedding. "Super cool you support my marriage; please thank each other by bringing the food, but not too much potato salad." No. PPs have given plenty of great suggestions for hosting properly on a budget.

• What about the guests who are traveling for your wedding? They will need to figure out where to order some food, pick it up and then bring it to your venue? Hmmm... I don't think so !
  • Hire someone to come and cook burgers and hot dogs and chips and soft drinks. Never ask your guests to pay to cater your event. And asking them to bring the food is asking them to pay for it.
  • My fiancé and I are toying with the idea of having a pot luck wedding reception for a variety of reasons.  (1) We live out in the country (minimum an hour away from a major city) and to hire a caterer to come to our house would cost a fortune and (2) we do not want to spend a ton of money on a wedding.  (3) We want to share our day with everyone we know and make it more like a big backyard party. 

For those of you who've done pot luck receptions, what would you suggest and what would you have done differently?  Would it be okay to "suggest" to people what to bring so that we don't end up with 100 potato salads?

Also, we plan on supplying the alcohol beverages. Is there any law against this?  We will not be charging for the drinks, so I don't think we'll need a liquor licence...right? We will strongly encourage smart drinking and designated drivers, because public transportation is not an option.

TIA
    No, it would not be okay.  In fact, it's not okay to ask anyone to bring any food or drink to your wedding, regardless of whether you are specific or not.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think there is a way to do it without being tacky. Maybe approach a few family members or friends who have a dish they are known for and ask them if they might be interested in making it for your wedding, maybe offer to buy the groceries the dish requires so it;s just time spent instead of money. Most family would be willing to help i think. And maybe just stick to side dishes and you can purchase the main dish (barbecue or whatever). My fiance and I are considering this approach for our wedding because we're paying for it ourselves. We're accommodating for my entire family (who is out of town) by having it at a location that we will have exclusively for the whole weekend and it provides them with a place to stay for the weekend at no additional cost to them. I totally get why you're considering that option, but maybe you can try and go about it a different way. so everyone doesnt feel obligated to bring food, but everyone is still fed. A wedding is supposed to be a fun and exciting experience for everyone involved, not a stressful financial burden that causes arguments and anxiety. 
    I say go for it, but instead of asking everyone, just privately ask a few people. and if nobody wants to help, just get a caterer. 
  • I'm just thinking, if the nearest caterer is 2+ hours away, how far are your guests coming from?

Because even if they did want to make food and it wasn't poor manners, the food has to be prepped before leaving home, then sit through the car ride, then sit through the wedding, then sit while all the other food is being laid out, and THEN, after 3-6 hours of sitting out at room temperature, can you finally serve it.

Sounds like one hell of a science experiment in the making.
  • If you are having a budget constraint then you can have potluck dinner. It will save your money. Just instruct your guests to bring particular type of food that will be shared by all the people attending the function.
    For couples, who are having a holiday party theme wedding then then potluck dinner will be the best option. 
    I really hope this is a joke!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • If you are having a budget constraint then you can have potluck dinner. It will save your money. Just instruct your guests to bring particular type of food that will be shared by all the people attending the function.
    For couples, who are having a holiday party theme wedding then then potluck dinner will be the best option. 
    No.  Awful advice.

• I think there is a way to do it without being tacky. Maybe approach a few family members or friends who have a dish they are known for and ask them if they might be interested in making it for your wedding, maybe offer to buy the groceries the dish requires so it;s just time spent instead of money. Most family would be willing to help i think. And maybe just stick to side dishes and you can purchase the main dish (barbecue or whatever). My fiance and I are considering this approach for our wedding because we're paying for it ourselves. We're accommodating for my entire family (who is out of town) by having it at a location that we will have exclusively for the whole weekend and it provides them with a place to stay for the weekend at no additional cost to them. I totally get why you're considering that option, but maybe you can try and go about it a different way. so everyone doesnt feel obligated to bring food, but everyone is still fed. A wedding is supposed to be a fun and exciting experience for everyone involved, not a stressful financial burden that causes arguments and anxiety. 
    I say go for it, but instead of asking everyone, just privately ask a few people. and if nobody wants to help, just get a caterer. 
    No, there is NO way to do it without being tacky.  You and your FI should be paying for YOUR wedding yourselves.  That is nothing new or unique, and certainly not a reason to ask others to help pay for your wedding reception.  No wedding needs to be a stressful financial burden.  You simply host what you can afford.  If your wedding planning is causing arguments and anxiety, then it is probably a sign that you are going about something in the wrong way.
    Hahahahahaha! That was funny! Good joke. 
    Sure thing!  Let me just head into the kitchen and whip up enough mashed potatoes to feed 100 or more folks and then transport it and making sure it stays hot to the couples wedding.  No problem.  Easy peasy.

• I think there is a way to do it without being tacky. Maybe approach a few family members or friends who have a dish they are known for and ask them if they might be interested in making it for your wedding, maybe offer to buy the groceries the dish requires so it;s just time spent instead of money. Most family would be willing to help i think. And maybe just stick to side dishes and you can purchase the main dish (barbecue or whatever). 

My fiance and I are considering this approach for our wedding because we're paying for it ourselves. We're accommodating for my entire family (who is out of town) by having it at a location that we will have exclusively for the whole weekend and it provides them with a place to stay for the weekend at no additional cost to them. I totally get why you're considering that option, but maybe you can try and go about it a different way. so everyone doesnt feel obligated to bring food, but everyone is still fed. A wedding is supposed to be a fun and exciting experience for everyone involved, not a stressful financial burden that causes arguments and anxiety. 

***************************SITB***********************************

Um, so you're having a potluck because you are CHOOSING to pay for *your* family's (not his, apparently) lodging? 

That is the epitome of tacky. You are having people bring their own food because you've chosen to spend that money elsewhere. Way to show people how much they mean to you.... I'd be so pissed as a guest I wouldn't attend.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards