• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Chit Chat

When should I book my hair and makeup trial?

I have no idea when I'm supposed to do this. I know I need to track down a veil & my hairpiece before I do my hair trial, but how far in advance am I supposed to go?

Re: When should I book my hair and makeup trial?

• SmileDamnitSmileDamnit Mile High City member
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Hmmm, good question. I suppose it would depend on your stylist(s) availability/schedule along with when you've purchased all your "stuff"?

I had my trial in March for a July wedding, which seemed a bit far out but it was the only time I was going to be in MT so there was no flexibility with it.

I'm curious to see if there is a norm...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • wandajune6wandajune6 Chicago-ish member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary First Answer
    I scheduled mine for the end of August for an October 11 wedding. I didn't want to do it so far in advance that we both forget our decisions (or my hair changes length). I also didn't want to schedule it so late in the game that I had no time to find a different person if I didn't like her work. We'll see how it goes.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • theartistformerlyknownastheartistformerlyknownas peaced out. member
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers First Anniversary
    I had mine in February for my September wedding, because I had to put a deposit down to book my date and didn't want to do that without having a trial first to be sure I liked her work. And I didn't want to risk her getting booked and having to look for another one; made all my vendor selections with the quickness so I didn't have to worry about it later.

• I have my hair and make up trials on Tuesday next week for my August 23 wedding.  

I didn't even book them until the very end of May/early June, and I didn't think about the trials until mid-July.  Then I was trying to get a time when the were both available back-to-back since I have to drive an hour to get to them.  If nothing else, what they do should be fresh in their minds since it is only a few weeks early.
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 Exit 21 (Jersey!) member
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 5 Answers
    I had mine in February for my September wedding, because I had to put a deposit down to book my date and didn't want to do that without having a trial first to be sure I liked her work. And I didn't want to risk her getting booked and having to look for another one; made all my vendor selections with the quickness so I didn't have to worry about it later.

This.  I had mine done about 6 months before the wedding.  And good thing, because I HATED my first trial and went out and found someone else.  If I waited until a month or two before, it would've been really hard to find someone good.
  • InkdancerInkdancer The Shire member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    I haven't booked mine and my wedding is in 6 weeks.

Holy cats my wedding is in 6 weeks.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
    beetheryKeptInStitchesElcaB
  • mrscatymrscaty Philly member
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Love Its 100 Comments First Answer
    My wedding is 10/4 and I'm having mine this Saturday. Reason being that my shower is also that day so I will look extra nice for it :)
  • huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 Boston Suburbs member
    2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its First Answer
    I had my hair trial in April for my June wedding. But I used my regular hairdresser so I wasn't concerned about not liking it.

I had my makeup trial in January.

• Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 Deep in the Heart of Texas member
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments Second Anniversary First Answer
    My hair trial was May 29 (same day as my bridal pictures) and my wedding was July 19.

I knew I would love my hair and makeup artist though, so I knew I didn't want to change. And, I was absolutely thrilled at her talent on the trial and wedding day.

image   image   image

• I just had mine today for my wedding that is two weeks and one day away! imageimageimage

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
    theartistformerlyknownasKeptInStitches
  • ElcaB said:
    I have no idea when I'm supposed to do this. I know I need to track down a veil & my hairpiece before I do my hair trial, but how far in advance am I supposed to go?
    Have you found somewhere that sells the accessories you want immediately?  My boutique says theirs are all special order.  Will probably end up buying a veil from them, because I'll want to try it on with the dress, but not much other things.  Just something to think about.

I'm a little bummed that I can't do mine until two weeks before the wedding.  I guess that's what happens when you move to a foreign country and want to get married at home.  I'm using a woman that a good friend of mine (and a couple of girls from high school who I no longer speak with) have used, and I've liked their results.  Hopefully it turns out well, because at that point I have almost zero chance of finding someone else.
  • sarahuflsarahufl New York member
    Tenth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    Lol. Didn't do either! I went to Sephora a few weeks ago and had them color match me for foundation and just did my make up myself. My mom's hairdresser did my hair and I never did a trial. Luckily I loved it and it looked great. I also have very normal hair. It is thick and straight and really easy to work with, so I think I can take chances more than some people can.
  • I had my trial 2 months before my wedding. I was really glad I had the trial because it allowed the stylist to get to know hair, and I also realized that I wanted to tweak my hair slightly. IDK but it made me feel more comfortable on the wedding day. That being said I did not do a makeup trial. I never wear makeup so I didn't really care what it looked like so long as I felt pretty. It worked out well for me.
  • @debmonn I love the hairpiece! You look lovely. 

@missdelilah I plan on ordering my hairpiece (and maybe my veil) from Etsy, so I'm not worried. The ones I've saved have a quick turnaround. 

Thanks, ladies! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards