Chit Chat
Options

Expectation vs Gratituity

15678911»

Re: Expectation vs Gratituity

• Options
    beethery said:
    @chibiyui That lady must be Springs' sister or relative.

Any attention is good attention. Negative or positive. (Though I do enjoy reading the crazy train)
    Or maybe it's Springs herself?

• Options
    What sit down places offer To-go cups. I've never been to a restaurant that offered them. What state are you in.
    Louisiana.  We just got offered to-go refills from Walk-on's in Baton Rouge.  Ruby Tuesday a number of years ago in Slidell, LA we were OFFERED refills to-go.  We left the waitress $2 extra dollars just for doing the extra work that MOST servers AREN'T WILLING TO DO.

Why would you think you couldn't get your drink to-go? I mean if it's alcohol, some places don't let you even in Louisiana, but  for soft drinks or iced tea, WHY would they have an issue with that, huh?
    The restaurant I worked at, you had to pay for every other refill of soda or iced tea. So if you had 3 you had to pay for 2. If you had 4 you still paid for 2. 

Some places you have to pay for every drink, no free refills. Clearly not the places you go to though.

• Options
    I worked at a restaurant that had free refills and my managers would have been pissed if I was just randomly offering to-go cups with extra drinks to every single guest. "Paper costs!!" If a dine-in guest orders a drink, it's for dine-in. Common sense. The paper (plastic) cost alone would be enough for my managers to have an aneurism over.
    If the guest requested it, of course I'd get it for them.
    Of course, I worked in a place where the managers were making sure we weren't giving the guests too many napkins, so there's that...

And the thing about being greeted in under 30 seconds? Yeah, that's something springs needs to take up with corporate or management. According to corporate we had to greet our tables within 45 seconds. Franchise ruled 30 seconds. So, to not lose points on a secret shop, we had to greet under 45 seconds. Easy enough except if we wanted to keep our jobs, it had better say under 30 seconds. And I swear on everything that's holy, so help us if that secret shop report said we did not greet under 30 secrets. The managers WOULD pull out a stop watch for the next two weeks and follow you around with it. But, please, let's blame the INCONSIDERATE servers for this one. 
  • Options
    I worked at a restaurant that had free refills and my managers would have been pissed if I was just randomly offering to-go cups with extra drinks to every single guest. "Paper costs!!" If a dine-in guest orders a drink, it's for dine-in. Common sense. The paper (plastic) cost alone would be enough for my managers to have an aneurism over.
    Of course, I worked in a place where the managers were making sure we weren't giving the guests too many napkins, so there's that...

And the thing about being greeted in under 30 seconds? Yeah, that's something springs needs to take up with corporate or management. According to corporate we had to greet our tables within 45 seconds. Franchise ruled 30 seconds. So, to not lose points on a secret shop, we had to greet under 45 seconds. Easy enough except if we wanted to keep our jobs, it had better say under 30 seconds. And I swear on everything that's holy, so help us if that secret shop report said we did not greet under 30 secrets. The managers WOULD pull out a stop watch for the next two weeks and follow you around with it. But, please, let's blame the INCONSIDERATE servers for this one. 
    What if you were in the bathroom or getting food for another table? How is it possible for you to greet every table within 30 seconds. 

One time many years ago when I was a server, I was hit in the face with a tray by another server. Total accident, but I was in the bathroom for 5+ minutes with a bloody nose. 

I mean do they want me to go to the table with blood streaming out my nose?

• Options

One time many years ago when I was a server, I was hit in the face with a tray by another server. Total accident, but I was in the bathroom for 5+ minutes with a bloody nose. 

Duh!  If you really cared about the customer and their tip, you would've commanded your nose to stop bleeding!!! /sarcasm
  • Options

What if you were in the bathroom or getting food for another table? How is it possible for you to greet every table within 30 seconds. 

Only a server who was an IDIOT would greet another table instead of getting the food for a table that has already been greeted. They should take care of one table and then move on to the next table. They shouldn't let another customer cut the line! Or what ever.

But, no, seriously, they set impossibly high standards. For example: I would be taking an order at one table while table 107 got sat. I finished taking the order, turn to walk away from the table and a manager would already be in your face wanting to know why you didn't already greet table 107. Like, seriously, dickhead?
    Another one: I'd be walking into the kitchen to get a drinks for table 105 that I had just greeted and see out of the corner of my eye table 107 getting sat. Ok, fine. I have 30 seconds to get the drinks to table 105 and make my way to table 107. Doable. Except we have a full hands on, full hands out policy. So, I spend precious seconds clearing off a nearby table. And I could leave the kitchen with my drinks, right? Wrong. Hot food takes priority. So the expeditor hands me a tray of food for table 230. I bring the food to table 230, who would like some extra honey mustard. Now I either have to get the dressing or find the server. Now, not only am I passing the 30 seconds greet time for table 107, I'm now passing the 3 minute drink time for table 105.
    What I could have done was greet table 107 on my way to get the drinks for table 105. But, guests like springs would have a conniption fit and dock my pay. Also, sometimes a quick greeting can turn into an all day affair.
    There are many ways I could go around trying to please everyone, but in the end, I'm only human. An idiot, lazy human, but it is what it is lol.

Oh, and as far as the bathroom thing goes, if I you need to pee, HAHAHAH good luck. There is no peeing in the restaurant business. UTIs are common. Can you imagine if springs needed something but I was in the bathroom? And because of the way the host stand rotates the sections, the work flow is constant. If by some lucky chance you find time to pee, you just let the host stand know and they will try not to seat you.
    You can also ask a server in a nearby section to watch your tables for you and greet anyone if you get sat. Same goes for any bloody noses or emergency phone calls or what ever. One of my co-workers ended up with a stomach virus during our shift. I slipped a cup of water and some napkins under the stall for her and the manager just redistributed her tables.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    MagicInk said:
    I get giddy when a server offers me a to-go drink cup. Hell yeah! Cold drink for the car!
    I *EXPECT* that and if I am not offered it, then I *ASK* for it if I want it.  The non-lazy servers offer more work. The lazy ones don't offer you a to-go drink.
    What sit down places offer To-go cups. I've never been to a restaurant that offered them. What state are you in.
    St Thomas did, so did New Orleans.  Actually in NOLA some bars have cups by the door for you. Alcohol on streets is okay.  Glass is not.  
    Hell, Louisiana has drive through daiquiri shops!

• Options
    I could not be a waitress, which is why I always tip well. I also don't get pissy if I have to wait an extra 5 min. I never go out to eat if I'm in a hurry. 

This would be me as a waitress:

imageimage

And bonus gif: when searching for the soup gif, the following popped up and for him, the answer is always yes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Only a server who was an IDIOT would greet another table instead of getting the food for a table that has already been greeted. They should take care of one table and then move on to the next table. They shouldn't let another customer cut the line! Or what ever.

But, no, seriously, they set impossibly high standards. For example: I would be taking an order at one table while table 107 got sat. I finished taking the order, turn to walk away from the table and a manager would already be in your face wanting to know why you didn't already greet table 107. Like, seriously, dickhead?
    Another one: I'd be walking into the kitchen to get a drinks for table 105 that I had just greeted and see out of the corner of my eye table 107 getting sat. Ok, fine. I have 30 seconds to get the drinks to table 105 and make my way to table 107. Doable. Except we have a full hands on, full hands out policy. So, I spend precious seconds clearing off a nearby table. And I could leave the kitchen with my drinks, right? Wrong. Hot food takes priority. So the expeditor hands me a tray of food for table 230. I bring the food to table 230, who would like some extra honey mustard. Now I either have to get the dressing or find the server. Now, not only am I passing the 30 seconds greet time for table 107, I'm now passing the 3 minute drink time for table 105.
    What I could have done was greet table 107 on my way to get the drinks for table 105. But, guests like springs would have a conniption fit and dock my pay. Also, sometimes a quick greeting can turn into an all day affair.
    There are many ways I could go around trying to please everyone, but in the end, I'm only human. An idiot, lazy human, but it is what it is lol.

Oh, and as far as the bathroom thing goes, if I you need to pee, HAHAHAH good luck. There is no peeing in the restaurant business. UTIs are common. Can you imagine if springs needed something but I was in the bathroom? And because of the way the host stand rotates the sections, the work flow is constant. If by some lucky chance you find time to pee, you just let the host stand know and they will try not to seat you.
    You can also ask a server in a nearby section to watch your tables for you and greet anyone if you get sat. Same goes for any bloody noses or emergency phone calls or what ever. One of my co-workers ended up with a stomach virus during our shift. I slipped a cup of water and some napkins under the stall for her and the manager just redistributed her tables.

Holy crap, I didn't realize it was that bad.  I didn't think businesses were allowed to require no bathroom breaks.  I mean I get occasionally it works out that way, but generally I've heard of that in health care situations with lots of emergencies.  Where someone's literally dying so you stop your lunch break.  No one will die if they don't see a server in 30 seconds.  

I feelike an awful human being for going out to eat after reading all of these comments.  Apart from my standard being extra nice and leaving a good tip, is there anything I can do to help so that the server can have time to function like a human being and not a robot?  I'd definitely prefer to wait longer and not cause someone to get a UTI!
  • Options

Holy crap, I didn't realize it was that bad.  I didn't think businesses were allowed to require no bathroom breaks.  I mean I get occasionally it works out that way, but generally I've heard of that in health care situations with lots of emergencies.  Where someone's literally dying so you stop your lunch break.  No one will die if they don't see a server in 30 seconds.  

I feelike an awful human being for going out to eat after reading all of these comments.  Apart from my standard being extra nice and leaving a good tip, is there anything I can do to help so that the server can have time to function like a human being and not a robot?  I'd definitely prefer to wait longer and not cause someone to get a UTI!
    Don't feel awful.   Springs simplifies things too much.  There are a ton of working parts that effect why it might take a few extra minutes to get something.    

Springs is right, there are bad, lazy and uncaring servers out there.  Every business has those employees.  I do not find them to be the norm like she does.  There is not need to go into the triads she does.

I say just be patient.   I eat out often, plus in the business.  I can tell when someone it just a bad server, one that is brand new (I give them a break), ones that a good and ones that are just slammed.      

In a way I'm like Springs.  When I sit down I do notice if tables around me have menus.   Unlike Springs I do not analyze in what order the server is taking the orders to make sure I'm not cut in line.   I guess I lower my own expectations.  I know she/he is slammed and will get to us when gets a chance.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    I get giddy when a server offers me a to-go drink cup. Hell yeah! Cold drink for the car!
    I *EXPECT* that and if I am not offered it, then I *ASK* for it if I want it.  The non-lazy servers offer more work. The lazy ones don't offer you a to-go drink.
    I'm responding to you as a normal mostly sane person, I get offered them at chain places usually especially in the summer because it's hella hot here. And I'm in AZ. I never think to ask for one because I just don't think they're something I'm entitled to. I get free refills while at the restaurant. Once I leave, I'm on my own beverage wise. But when I'm offered one, I'm very grateful. Again, especially in the summer. And I totally tip more for the servers that offer one.
  • Options

It's not that they don't allow bathroom breaks, you just need to find time on your own to do it. It's absolutely common to go hours without finding a moment to go.

Some restaurants are developing systems that would give servers legitimate breaks. They usually potentially affect the servers' tips negatively.

The most common one affects the customers, too. Basically, the restaurant has "floaters," servers whose job during the shift is to fill in for servers while they are on break. The problem is, the floaters can now affect the tables either negatively or positively. Not to mention that the customers themselves get confused.

To the bolded:
    Customer feedback. The reason we only have 30 seconds is because the voices of customers like springs are ****LOUDER**** than those more rational customers. Customers like springs are the ones that actually take the time to visit multiple websites and voice their demands opinions.

On pretty much every restaurant website there is a way to contact the company. The company actually really does read those comments. My friend's restaurant posts them on a wall in the back.
    Even those surveys on the reciepts that are disguised as contests or coupons as a way to reel customers in to fill them out online? Those actually affect my friend's yearly reviews and bonuses.
  • Options
    smalfrie19smalfrie19 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    lyndausvi said:
    I hate being rushed. We often tell our server there is no rush.  

I hate being rushed myself such as servers bringing you the check when aren't ready for it. I CAN'T STAND THAT SHIT! Even if they predict correctly, what bothers me about it the most is *CONTROL* that they are trying to control our tip money even though *We* are paying the tip, NOT THEM.

I also hate when servers greet you in 30 seconds or less like let me look at the damn menu for a minute and a half at least.  At times, we have had to say we needed more time to look at the drink menu. Seriously, I'd rather not be greeted quite that quickly. Around a minute and a half to 2 minutes at the most would be a good amount for me personally in most cases.

I have discovered it.. this is not  a service industry issue..its a control issue...I wonder if she bosses her husband around like that in bed.... 

ETA.. and then calls him a STUPID MORON IDIOT when he doesnt do it in enough *****TIME****
    Anniversary
  • Options
    The real question here is what do you do with 4 sides of tartar.  Is that like one sup for each fish stick?

• Options

The real question here is what do you do with 4 sides of tartar.  Is that like one sup for each fish stick?
    DUH, you put 3 in your purse. Free tartar! Also, if the servers don't remember to bring you the correct number of sides of tartar you can save even more money because they don't deserve your tip for being ******stupid and lazy*******  (serious eye rolling and head banging reading this thread)

Anniversary
  • Options
    Eat some with the seafood, eat some with fries. At Red Lobster, I dip the biscuits in it as well as at times ranch.  I even discovered tartar sauce is good with mashed potatoes even once at TGIFriday's I tried it since I had ordered potato salad, but the other server brought me mashed potatoes, so they said to keep both, so I did.

Why do you want to know? I can eat just about anything with fries from bbq sauce, mayo, ranch, mustard, remoulade sauce, tartar sauce, etc.
  • Options
    Springs131Springs131 member
    First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    MagicInk said:
    I never think to ask for one because I just don't think they're something I'm entitled to

But everyone is though.  I get extra bread I know I am not going to eat to take home. I have done that for many years.  It's FREE, WHY NOT take advantage of EVERYTHING the restaurant wants to give to you for free.  Of course, I don't ask for 5 helpings or something, but I may get the last helping of bread there and then later take it home.

Refills, you are, because it's a free refill. Doesn't have to be at the place. This isn't like a buffet where you can't take the food home. It's honestly sort of like in a way all you can eat catfish for example, like whatever is on your plate you can take home, because they are just going to throw it away anyway. As far as what I do to get a new soft drink refill to-go, so far no one has ever denied me of one, EVER, EVER, EVER and we have had PLENTY of to-go drinks, PLENTY over the years. Also, you can do just as I do with the bread, ask for a refill earlier and then just ask for a to-go cup, that way they can't deny you of the to-go cup when you have already had it at your table.  The only time I got denied was if it was an alcoholic beverage at certain restaurants, but not all since I live in Louisiana, so our liquor laws are VERY DIFFERENT than most places as far as liquor goes.  I am talking about soft drinks or iced tea, basically any refillable beverage.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    Unlike Springs I do not analyze in what order the server is taking the orders to make sure I'm not cut in line. 

You must NEVER go to a restaurant VERY HUNGRY or have waited for a table without eating an entire day(let's say it's 8p.m. at night), which I have waited all day to eat before or ate just a small breakfast.

You must not be thirsty or in a hurry either.  You must not care about your money.
  • Options
    Another one: I'd be walking into the kitchen to get a drinks for table 105 that I had just greeted and see out of the corner of my eye table 107 getting sat. Ok, fine. I have 30 seconds to get the drinks to table 105 and make my way to table 107. Doable. Except we have a full hands on, full hands out policy. So, I spend precious seconds clearing off a nearby table. And I could leave the kitchen with my drinks, right? Wrong. Hot food takes priority. So the expeditor hands me a tray of food for table 230. I bring the food to table 230, who would like some extra honey mustard. Now I either have to get the dressing or find the server. Now, not only am I passing the 30 seconds greet time for table 107, I'm now passing the 3 minute drink time for table 105.What I could have done was greet table 107 on my way to get the drinks for table 105. But, guests like springs would have a conniption fit and dock my pay. Also, sometimes a quick greeting can turn into an all day affair.There are many ways I could go around trying to please everyone, but in the end, I'm only human. An idiot, lazy human, but it is what it is lol.
    See, the manager I'd have a problem with, because there shouldn't be a hands full in, hands full out policy since table 105 just asked for their drinks.  If it were me, I'd tell table 107 "I'll be right with you all" just to acknowledge them a mini-greet.  Go to the kitchen.  Now I have to bring the hot food to take 230, which then I would compare the ticket or computer screen order to the food prior to leaving to make sure it was correct.  Now if the honey mustard didn't look like it was filled, I would have asked for another while in the kitchen before bringing out the order wrong since a "side" is a container worth, nothing less.  So let's say it was full, but the person at table 230 asked for that. They'd have to wait. I would then go to get the drinks for my first table and bring it to them. Tell them I'd be right back. Go back to the kitchen to get the honey mustard and bring it out to table 230. Then go back to table 105 to get their food order and then put it into the computer. Then table 107 finally get to them to fully greet them 5-7 minutes later at least.  They are ready to fully order.  The thing is, table 107 it's only fair since they were last out of the group. 

You say you need to greet under 30 seconds, but most servers don't and STILL have their jobs, in fact, 99% of them don't.  I know, we go out to eat every single weekend 2-3 times a weekend, some holidays, vacations, special occasions, etc.  No one gets fired.  The same servers that have given us a long greet time, they still were at the restaurant when we had gone back. No one got fired over it.

So yeah, I would do things my way. I wouldn't do things their way. Those dishes would still be there and if there was a soda station that wasn't in a kitchen area, I'd be able to get soft drinks without going into a hands full in, hands full out situation since there would be no kitchen to go to for that. If I had to, had to, I'd grab one dish and go to the kitchen, but I wouldn't go buss a table before getting someone's drinks. That's just wrong, morally speaking it is.  At the donut shop/diner I worked for, I was PRAISED by my boss for making customers first and not cleaning up. I was PRAISED for that. I know the reason behind why they have this stupid rule, but it's not fair though.  It makes the people waiting in the waiting area get to CUT some in front of our time. It's true, that's what it is. If there is no wait for a table, whatever next customer comes in then is who gets to cut in front of the people already there.

It's just not a fair system.  I never put dirty dishes ahead of my customers. Customers always came first. I never restocked either ahead of my customers.

• Options
    Eat some with the seafood, eat some with fries. At Red Lobster, I dip the biscuits in it as well as at times ranch.  I even discovered tartar sauce is good with mashed potatoes even once at TGIFriday's I tried it since I had ordered potato salad, but the other server brought me mashed potatoes, so they said to keep both, so I did.

Why do you want to know? I can eat just about anything with fries from bbq sauce, mayo, ranch, mustard, remoulade sauce, tartar sauce, etc.
    BBQ on fries, I get. Good choice.

However, tartar sauce on a cheddar bay biscuit is absolutely fucking unholy.

Please seek professional help.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    AlexisA01AlexisA01 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    beethery said:

BBQ on fries, I get. Good choice.

Please seek professional help.

NOW that is inhumane :p Chedder bay biscuits...DIPPED in tartar sauce!?  No..... (just kidding)

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Options
    beethery said:

I have eaten tartar sauce with fries at McDonald's when I got the filet O' fish sandwich.  I also eat special sauce from the big mac with my fries as well. The one thing I won't eat with fries is ketchup since I have hated ketchup since I was kid and still don't like it to this day.
  • Options
    Another one: I'd be walking into the kitchen to get a drinks for table 105 that I had just greeted and see out of the corner of my eye table 107 getting sat. Ok, fine. I have 30 seconds to get the drinks to table 105 and make my way to table 107. Doable. Except we have a full hands on, full hands out policy. So, I spend precious seconds clearing off a nearby table. And I could leave the kitchen with my drinks, right? Wrong. Hot food takes priority. So the expeditor hands me a tray of food for table 230. I bring the food to table 230, who would like some extra honey mustard. Now I either have to get the dressing or find the server. Now, not only am I passing the 30 seconds greet time for table 107, I'm now passing the 3 minute drink time for table 105.What I could have done was greet table 107 on my way to get the drinks for table 105. But, guests like springs would have a conniption fit and dock my pay. Also, sometimes a quick greeting can turn into an all day affair.There are many ways I could go around trying to please everyone, but in the end, I'm only human. An idiot, lazy human, but it is what it is lol.
    See, the manager I'd have a problem with, because there shouldn't be a hands full in, hands full out policy since table 105 just asked for their drinks.  If it were me, I'd tell table 107 "I'll be right with you all" just to acknowledge them a mini-greet.  Go to the kitchen.  Now I have to bring the hot food to take 230, which then I would compare the ticket or computer screen order to the food prior to leaving to make sure it was correct.  Now if the honey mustard didn't look like it was filled, I would have asked for another while in the kitchen before bringing out the order wrong since a "side" is a container worth, nothing less.  So let's say it was full, but the person at table 230 asked for that. They'd have to wait. I would then go to get the drinks for my first table and bring it to them. Tell them I'd be right back. Go back to the kitchen to get the honey mustard and bring it out to table 230. Then go back to table 105 to get their food order and then put it into the computer. Then table 107 finally get to them to fully greet them 5-7 minutes later at least.  They are ready to fully order.  The thing is, table 107 it's only fair since they were last out of the group. 

You say you need to greet under 30 seconds, but most servers don't and STILL have their jobs, in fact, 99% of them don't.  I know, we go out to eat every single weekend 2-3 times a weekend, some holidays, vacations, special occasions, etc.  No one gets fired.  The same servers that have given us a long greet time, they still were at the restaurant when we had gone back. No one got fired over it.

So yeah, I would do things my way. I wouldn't do things their way. Those dishes would still be there and if there was a soda station that wasn't in a kitchen area, I'd be able to get soft drinks without going into a hands full in, hands full out situation since there would be no kitchen to go to for that. If I had to, had to, I'd grab one dish and go to the kitchen, but I wouldn't go buss a table before getting someone's drinks. That's just wrong, morally speaking it is.  At the donut shop/diner I worked for, I was PRAISED by my boss for making customers first and not cleaning up. I was PRAISED for that. I know the reason behind why they have this stupid rule, but it's not fair though.  It makes the people waiting in the waiting area get to CUT some in front of our time. It's true, that's what it is. If there is no wait for a table, whatever next customer comes in then is who gets to cut in front of the people already there.

It's just not a fair system.  I never put dirty dishes ahead of my customers. Customers always came first. I never restocked either ahead of my customers.

******SITB *******

But isn't everyone a customer?  Just because you decided to come to dinner later than someone else doesn't mean you are less of a customer.       

Besides, customers do not get having to wait for a table when they see empty seats.  They just don't.    You are the exception, but most people are way more annoyed at having to stand and wait for a table that is already empty then they are sitting at the table waiting for a soda to be delivered.

If you want true first come first sever go to a drive-thur .  Sit down restaurants just have too many moving parts, people ordering differently to work that way.   You have balance out the needs of everyone, which are constantly changing.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    beethery said:

I have eaten tartar sauce with fries at McDonald's when I got the filet O' fish sandwich.  I also eat special sauce from the big mac with my fries as well. The one thing I won't eat with fries is ketchup since I have hated ketchup since I was kid and still don't like it to this day.
    Serious question do you scrape the special sauce off the bun, or do you order a side of it?

• Options

Has it occurred to you that servers might take awhile to greet you because they know you're going to be a pain in the ass? When bag lady comes in, people HIDE. People in the service industry do not make enough for this bullshit.

And seriously, I really think you should stop eating out.

Anniversary
  • Options
    chibiyui said:
    Has it occurred to you that servers might take awhile to greet you because they know you're going to be a pain in the ass? When bag lady comes in, people HIDE. People in the service industry do not make enough for this bullshit.

And seriously, I really think you should stop eating out.
    Probably the best idea. For your own safety. People probably drag ass in the restaurants when she shows up in the hopes that she'll inevitably get pissy about something. possibly just the decor might set her off and leave.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards