Not Engaged Yet

Thursday Chat

2»

Re: Thursday Chat

• @es14bw- Gorgeous floors. My FI has a hardwood flooring company- he works like crazy, so I hear all about his flooring jobs. People will always ask me for an opinion or advice, but I never know what to say, since I'm not the pro lol
  • @eilis1228 Yeah, a lot of the independent sellers on Amazon muck up orders (and I've also had rotten luck with UPS, Fedex, and USPS). At least Amazon's customer service is pretty excellent.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • 500days - Thank you!  Its so hard to choose!!! I asked a million people what they thought because its so hard to tell with just one small piece. And its a huge investment!  You are lucky to have FI, Labor alone is crazy!
  • @eilis1228 - That really blows about the towels. Amazon is usually so good...I only had one bad experience with them, when I ordered a small desktop humidifier for my office. I paid for express shipping and should have had it within a week...and it took TWO MONTHS to show up. Luckily Amazon refunded the shipping, and when I finally received it item it came from Taiwan. The seller was awful, so I don't blame Amazon for that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• eilis1228eilis1228 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    @phira Laaaaame. I guess it's good that they're refunding us so quickly though. The customer service rep was very apologetic and nice.  We still have time to check around local stores too. I told him if need be, he can use my big pink beach towel and we can buy me a kids one.  :-P
    @lmcooper86 two months?! Holy crap! They should have given you a total refund and just let you have it for free at that point. Geez Louise.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @lmcooper86 - That e-pic is HAWT! What an awesome dress on you!

@Peaseblossom55 - No surgery? That much be such a relief! I'm glad to hear (read) it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just really not a fan of BF's friends. They're nice enough, but most of them are ANNOYING! Last night, my least favorite came over to our house. BF knows how I feel, and it had been a good 3-4 months since we last saw him, so I was okay with it. But I am just missing all of my college friends, a lot. And most of the friends that I made since the move down here have gotten busy planning weddings or had kids, so I never see them anymore. It just doesn't seem fair....

Tonight we're going to visit another one of BF's friends, who is an awesome guy. The problem is his GF is one of the most annoying, self-centered women I've ever met. And to top it all of, they just had a baby! So if the baby isn't the center of attention the ENTIRE time we're visiting, she goes BSC and literally tries to shove her into your arms.

My little sister is visiting Friday, and she's a bit much to handle, as well. I'm hoping that this weekend we can just take Marv and stay overnight in the wilderness somewhere. That would be my ideal.....

• @EisleyJoGo yea a huge relief especially with all of the things we have going on and things we were hoping to get done. 

The day is just dragging and this headache has not gotten any better is it 5 yet?

Anniversary

• EisleyJoGo - I totally know what you mean...ugh
  • @TwoDimes those prices don't seem too absurd to me... is it just normal make up application? Or is it airbrush? Also, a blow out doesn't normally involve styling outside of the blow dryer and a round brush. If your blow dryer has attachments, you could always get a decent mousse or gel and do it yourself. YouTube is great for tutorials on all things beauty related.

• @TwoDimes Here's what I did for my e-pics. I went to my salon that I usually go to for haircuts and highlights and paid $25 for a wash, blow out and style. Then I went to Sephora and had my makeup done. It's "free", meaning they do up your face and then you need to buy at least $50 worth of product. I thought it was well worth it! They matched my skin color to a foundation that I purchased and I also picked up a really beautiful eye shadow palette. I was careful to tell them that I was getting professional photos done and that I wanted it to be really really natural since I don't wear makeup pretty much ever (I also suck at being a girl). Some peple say don't use Sephora or other makeup counters because they are just salespeople and not real MUAs but I thought my makeup turned out beautifully and I was really happy with everything!

• @Twodimes The make up and hair application prices seem pretty normal to me.  I thought about getting my hair and make up done for our engagement shoot but I wanted to look natural and see how the photographer captured me in an every day sort of look.  I was also super busy with a new job at the time too.

Anniversary

• @es14bw - Haha, yea! I guess you do, don't you?
  • TwoDimes said:
    eilis1228 said:
    @TwoDimes those prices don't seem too absurd to me... is it just normal make up application? Or is it airbrush? Also, a blow out doesn't normally involve styling outside of the blow dryer and a round brush. If your blow dryer has attachments, you could always get a decent mousse or gel and do it yourself. YouTube is great for tutorials on all things beauty related.
    So I felt kind of silly after I posted this, because this was pretty much the exact advice I gave in the hair thread from yesterday!

I was able to style my own hair to my satisfaction using a hairdryer, flat iron, and curling wand a few weeks ago, but that was when I was doing a reading at a wedding and assumed I wouldn't be in too many photos. In e-photos, FI and I will be the center of attention... so I guess I'm more worried about how I'll look. I'm probably wayyyy over thinking this :)

ETA - I think just normal makeup... What the heck is airbrush makeup? Dear god, I suck more as a girl than I even thought!
    YouTube taught me how to be a girl in college lol. I was terrible with make up, so I started watching make up gurus on there. It's sad when a 12-year-old girl can apply make up better than a 21 year old... 

Airbrush make up is applied with an airbrush. It lasts longer and allegedly helps even out skin tones and is easier to blend. A lot of people get it done for their wedding day so they don't have to worry about touch ups. 

• @Blue & White yay new house!!!!!! Congrats! 

@Imcooper86 that picture is adorable! I can't wait to see the rest! 

I have been crazy busy at work the past few days, especially with my manager and director emailing me saying "I have a meeting in an hour. I need this from you asap." and this is the first time that I had heard that they needed that specific thing. It happened 3 times in the past few days. It was also a pain since I wasn't sure I could put what they asked for together in an hour. But somehow I managed to get it all done in time (I seriously don't know how). I walked in this morning and had a personal email from the vice president of my team congratulating me on my progress during the past year and all of my hard work, so that put an instant smile on my face. And that's a huge deal, because I work at a Fortune 500 company, and this VP has hundreds (if not thousands) of people who work under him. I totally felt like this after reading it: 

• @es14bw

I love the type of flooring you chose! It is a gorgeous color. 

I didn't know there were so many educators on here! I will be graduating with a degree in elementary education. My minor is special education. I graduate in December of 2015. I am dreading the application and interview process of trying to find my first job. Do you have any tips for me? 
  • edited August 2014
    @justbeingme93 -I'm not the educator, my H is a 7th grade special ed Math teacher. Since he is department chair he has to do the interviews for the special ed department and one thing he told me that a lot of the candidates did that he didn't appreciate was that they wouldn't give him enough time to ask the questions he wanted to ask lol. In short, they talked way way too much instead of giving a to the point concise answer if that makes sense. 

Besides that that's all I know about teacher interviews. Good luck though, Elementary Ed is fun from what I hear, I have a lot of friends in it.
  • @TwoDimes I did my own hair for e-pics, which I don't regret, even though I don't love my hair in the photos (going to a salon wouldn't have helped--I'm not used to having my hair this long, and because it's so thick, it's just ... a LOT of hair and looks very big).

I took the advice of ladies here and went to Sephora. Like @LaPeanut1018 said, you do need to buy at least $50 worth of make-up afterwards. And the person who did my make-up was definitely trying to get me to buy a lot of high end stuff (and I did buy a lot of it--more on that in a bit). However, I just knew I didn't want to worry about my make-up being crappy in engagement photos; I didn't want to look later and think, "Ugh, my eyeliner gave me raccoon eyes," or, "Well that's a huge blemish I didn't cover very well," or worse, "I guess I shouldn't have tried to cover that blemish because it looks like I tried too hard."

And my make-up was pretty great. I had a LOT of make-up on; it took a full 45 minutes to just apply everything, and it felt like I had a lot on. But it doesn't look like it. I was very happy with how well it photographed, and I was able to just enjoy myself the whole time instead of worrying about my face.

So ... I ended up buying about $300 worth of product. Most of it was stuff I had wanted for a while but had been too lazy to buy. For example, I knew I needed a decent foundation that matched my skin tone; I needed finishing powder; I needed an eyeliner brush; I needed good concealer. I didn't really need the new eyeliner or eye shadows, or the other three brushes, or the shadow primer, etc. I was also pretty bad at saying no. So if you don't want to get register shock like I did, just politely ask for a couple of products.

I am very happy with the make-up I bought, though. I used almost all of it (except for maybe one brush) to do my make-up for my cousin's wedding, and it still photographed beautifully and I got a ton of compliments the whole night. I'm not a pro, but I've watched a lot of make-up tutorials on Youtube, which helped.
    Anniversary
  • eilis1228 said:
    I really need the next two hours to fly by because the jeweler just called, and my ring is ready! EEEEEEK!
    GET THAT BLING
    Anniversary
  • eilis1228 said:
    I really need the next two hours to fly by because the jeweler just called, and my ring is ready! EEEEEEK!
    I want to like this so many more times! AW please, asap!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• 500days500days member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    @justbeingme93- I would highly recommend getting the book Ace Your Teacher Interview by Anthony Fredericks. It has some of the best scenarios and questions to review. Things that you can do on your own: -organize a small portfolio -research the school and the district as much as you can (know who's who and their model, strengths/weaknesses) -arrive 30 minutes early, if the person before you isn't there they will not wait and they will move to the next candidate. -Be concise with your answers- if you don't have experience or don't know what to say just be honest. I thought I blew an interview once because I didn't know what the acronym they were using meant. They liked how I asked, rather than pretending I knew what they were talking about. -Have 2 questions prepared to ask the interview committee at the end. Around here (new england area), if you do not hear by the next day about your interview then you did not get the job. They will call the same or next day to either offer the job or set up a 2nd interview with superintendent. They will offer the job to you in person at this meeting. It's a formality. Let me know if you have any more questions, I participate in all of the interview committees for special ed dept. so I have a lot of info/tips to share.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards