Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Should I Just Suck It Up & Attend?

Amanda1443994Amanda1443994 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
edited August 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum

My friend is getting married in October and I received the invitation a week ago. Outer envelope was addressed to me and the inner envelope did not have anything written on it. I assumed (my mistake!) that my boyfriend, who lives with me, was invited and RSVPed with the two of us. A few days later I get a call from the bride's mother saying that only guests who are married or engaged can bring significant others because of budgetary restrictions. I was extremely embarrassed and apologized for my mistake since it was truly my fault for just assuming.

Fast forward a few days.. mutual friends of ours have told us that their boyfriends were invited to the wedding and they're bringing them. Maybe it was immature of me, but that really pissed me off. The mother specifically told me only married or engaged couples were allowed, so I don't know why my relationship is viewed as less serious than others.

My dilemma: Should I still attend solo or decline?

"Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."

Re: Should I Just Suck It Up & Attend?

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Don't go.  Your friend is rude.

ETA; read this http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1016851/who-do-i-have-to-invite-to-my-wedding-a-guide/p1 and maybe you'll be able to put words on why you know it's rude.
  • Options
    Thank you for the link! I thought it was rude, but I didn't know if I was just overreacting. Should I still send a gift? I was invited to her bridal shower and was unable to attend but did send a gift for that.
  • Options
    I would decline - I would never have attended a wedding w/o DH when we were seriously dating. What fun is that for guests??
  • Options
    I did not attend the wedding of a kid I babysat because only "married" or "engaged" couples were invited with their partners.  I was in a very serious relationship of over 2 years by that time.

I'd skip this one too.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I would call the mother up and tell her I was not coming. I'd stop calling my "friend" all together. You already got an invite for October?? I'm guessing B-listing is on the horizon :(
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    (I got an invite on May 1st for an August 2nd wedding.)

No, no gift for her.  You already sent her a wedding/shower gift and now you've been dissed like this?  No, she gets no more gifts.
  • Options
    I wouldn't go, either.  I'm sorry this happened to you.
  • Options
    I wouldn't go. This is my #1 thing that irks me when it comes to weddings (and it has never actually happened to me lol) It is just so rude!

My littler sister (20) was invited to my cousins wedding on my parent's invite. She doesn't get to bring her BF (of over 3 years) for the same reasons OP mentioned. So my sister is not going! It makes me sad to go without her but proud of her for standing her ground.

IT'S SO RUDE!!!!!!!!!! (sorry had to say it again!)

Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I won't be attending or sending a gift. I've been friends with her since highschool (so well over 10 years) and had already put in my half day off at work (it is a 3 pm Friday wedding!). So I guess my boyfriend and I will have an afternoon off together now (:  
    That sounds like a much better use of your time.  I wouldn't go to a wedding without my husband, I like weddings but I enjoy things much more when he's there. 
  • Options

My friend is getting married in October and I received the invitation a week ago. Outer envelope was addressed to me and the inner envelope did not have anything written on it. I assumed (my mistake!) that my boyfriend of two years, who lives with me, was invited and RSVPed with the two of us. A few days later I get a call from the bride's mother saying that only guests who are married or engaged can bring significant others because of budgetary restrictions. I was extremely embarrassed and apologized for my mistake since it was truly my fault for just assuming.

Fast forward a few days.. mutual friends of ours have told us that their boyfriends were invited to the wedding and they're bringing them. Maybe it was immature of me, but that really pissed me off. The mother specifically told me only married or engaged couples were allowed, so I don't know why my relationship is viewed as less serious than others.

My dilemma: Should I still attend solo or decline?

Are you sure the mother got it right? Since other people do get to bring their boyfriends maybe the mother was mistaken? I would check directly with the bride especially since you've been friends for so long.
    Anniversary
  • Options

I would call the mother up and tell her I was not coming. I'd stop calling my "friend" all together.
    You already got an invite for October?? I'm guessing B-listing is on the horizon :(

It's not necessarily an indication of B Listing.

My wedding is mid October and venue wants final head count October 4th, so my RSVP date is October 1st. With that and my room blocks being released to the public in September and the end of this month (grrr) my invitations are going out on Monday. I actually wanted them to go out tomorrow but I dunno if I can swing that.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I would decline. That is rude
  • Options
    "No ring, no bring" is one of the dumbest wedding rules I've ever heard. I cannot imagine being that rude to the people I care about. It's a slap in the face to tell someone their boyfriend or girlfriend "doesn't count", simply because you aren't engaged.
    So much this. I have a friend that has lived with her BF for something like 8 years. Common law marriage is recognized here (2 years living together as if you were married) so they see no reason to legally get married. Since they will likely never be engaged/married they will never pass the "no ring, no bring" test. 

Anniversary
  • Options

Does it have to end the friendship altogether? 

Could you just decline the invitation, not send a gift, and move on, with the wedding being over, and socialize with her in other ways, like you would have anyway, if the whole invitation thing hadn't happened??

• Options
    Frankly, it is rude as hell. But I would ask your friend. Since her mom conveyed the message and not her, it may not be accurate. But yeah, if SO is still not invited, don't go and don't give a gift.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I won't be attending or sending a gift. I've been friends with her since highschool (so well over 10 years) and had already put in my half day off at work (it is a 3 pm Friday wedding!). So I guess my boyfriend and I will have an afternoon off together now (:  
    Okay because you have known your friend for such a significant amount of time, you should talk to her personally about your concerns. Ask her directly whether or not your b/f is invited. I think your relationship with your friend is worth it. I am surprised that a friend of ten years would slight you like that. Better double check before throwing in the towel on this friendship.
  • Options
    I agree with pp. If you only have her mother's word on this, I would check with your friend directly. It could have been an honest mistake. Her mother might be misinformed. It can't hurt to call up your friend. For all you know, these other friends did the same.

• Options

I agree with pp. If you only have her mother's word on this, I would check with your friend directly. It could have been an honest mistake. Her mother might be misinformed. It can't hurt to call up your friend. For all you know, these other friends did the same.

This. My FH and I sent STDates a few months ago for our November wedding. We sent one to a couple FH lived with when we started dating 5 years ago. They know me, they know my name, they know FH and I are engaged and live together, they still sent the invite to just FH. Since the invite was to FH, and they are his friends first, I made him call them and ask. He actually said that he read wedding etiquette on addressing invites and wanted to be clear on if they were title truly not inviting or it was just a mistake. They said they assumed we knew that the invite was for both, to which he said, well she will be taking my last name but she still will be Stephjean83.

You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Options

So I decided to check with my friend to see if it was just a misunderstanding with her mom. Nope. He's really not invited. She said that her and her fiancée have very large families and it just wasn't in the budget to invite people with guests unless they were married or engaged. Clearly, this is a lie since I have mutual friends who are going with their boyfriends.

Honestly, it makes me feel really bad and I'm wondering if she doesn't take my relationship seriously because I have been married before. Husband cheated on me and we divorced after 7 years of being together. I don't know if I ever even want to be married again. So if I stay with my current boyfriend for the rest of my life without the paper telling me I'm committed..will I always have to attend weddings alone?? That sounds horrible to me.

• Options
    Just so not right, Amanda. Could there be a remote possibility your friends' SO's were just added to the reply card by the guests?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards