Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

How to have this convo UPDATE

edited September 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
Old, married hag here who needs some blunt, straightforward advice. This may get long. Sorry.

I am a bridesmaid in a wedding and my husband is BM. We are expected at the wedding venue from 10 am until 10 pm.
All of our close friends are invited, as are our parents and siblings - essentially everyone we know and trust.
The problem? Our 4 month old isn't invited.

Our little one isn't invited due to the following:
1. Bride and groom want us to "have fun."
2. Infant may cry during the ceremony and then what?
3. There's an open bar.
4. Someone else's toddler also didn't make the cut due to poor behavior, so our kid can't either. (Two uninvited kids vs the 10 or so that are invited, including our nephew).

We have tried speaking with the bride and groom and explaining our dilemma. They have offered suggestions of leaving our infant with a myriad of random people they know or paying our day care provider to keep her from Friday am until Sunday am.

We may have found a solution in a very close coworker offering to watch the baby. However, she lives 1.5 hours from the venue and can't start watching her early enough for us to get there for hair and makeup, just for the actual ceremony.

I won't lie - this has seriously hurt my feelings. These people consider our baby their "niece" but don't seem to care about our dilemma.

I do not know what to do, but I figured you ladies might be able to help me phrase the "I'll be there for the wedding and nothing else" convo.

UPDATE IN COMMENTS pg 2

Re: How to have this convo UPDATE

• Options
    Thanks so much so far, ladies. I guess I'm just worried about her reaction. "Jane's" other issues and reactions have bordered on bridezilla (which is unlike her, and why I am her friend and bridesmaid). I think she's lost her damn mind over this wedding.
  • Options
    @adk19‌ yeah. I'm not really comfortable leaving the baby, but I recognize my anxiety is my problem.

@sarahbear31‌ Flowers on the baby are my husband's plan. He's our rude one and suggested we just show up with her. Is she really gonna kick the best man out?
  • Options
    Thanks so much so far, ladies. I guess I'm just worried about her reaction. "Jane's" other issues and reactions have bordered on bridezilla (which is unlike her, and why I am her friend and bridesmaid). I think she's lost her damn mind over this wedding.
    Just one more reason to State rather than Ask.  "I will be at the wedding.  Hope your morning goes well.  I'll be playing with 'your niece' while you are getting your hair done and will see you at the church."
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    @adk19‌ yeah. I'm not really comfortable leaving the baby, but I recognize my anxiety is my problem. @sarahbear31‌ Flowers on the baby are my husband's plan. He's our rude one and suggested we just show up with her. Is she really gonna kick the best man out?
    Sounds like you married a good man.  :)
    ETA: I meant about him agreeing with me about the baby bouquet. I'm just being snarky. I do agree with @mishart00 that it would be even more rude on your part to bring your baby. If you still want to be in the wedding, I say just show up for pics before the ceremony, the actual ceremony, and any post-ceremony pics. I would then graciously leave.
  • Options
    @adk19‌ yeah. I'm not really comfortable leaving the baby, but I recognize my anxiety is my problem. @sarahbear31‌ Flowers on the baby are my husband's plan. He's our rude one and suggested we just show up with her. Is she really gonna kick the best man out?
    Show up with the little girl in her Sunday best.  Inform the bride that your babysitter cancelled this morning.  Hand the child to one of your family members who are guests.  And do your duties as a bridesmaid.  Then, after pictures, give the bride a hug and tell her you'll be taking the baby and going home so she won't interrupt the reception.  Bride will probably tell you to both just stay.  I mean, yes, rude, but I think I like your husband because I'm just passive aggressive enough to respond to rude with rude.
  • Options
    Oh no. We won't just show up with the baby as that's horribly rude. It's more a tongue-in-cheek response.

And I know they don't have to invite my baby, but it baffles me why my infant nephew is invited but not my infant child.
  • Options
    Thanks all. I like the idea of just stating what time I'll be arriving.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    I recognize that it's inconvenient for you to not have your baby with you, but the couple was not obligated to invite the baby and it was not rude of them not to do so. The first thing you need to do is accept that, regardless of how "hurt" that makes you feel. Second, you have a decision to make: Either you need to find someone you trust to leave the baby with or you have to decline to attend at least the reception. (If you're in the wedding party you need to attend at least the ceremony.)
    I think part of OP's hurt feelings come from the fact that other children have been invited to the wedding and hers and one other child are basically being singled out as undesirable and her child is being judged on this other kid's behavior.  

OP your options are decline the invitation and drop out of the wedding or just use a sitter for the time you are comfortable with/the sitter is available.  Personally I think 12 hours is a ridiculous expectation. Do your own hair and makeup and either hop into your dress very quickly at the venue or show up already dressed.  When DS was 4 months old I would have declined a wedding invite but it sounds like we have different circumstances so my reasonings wouldn't work for you. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    @mys
    mysticl said:

Jen4948 said:

I recognize that it's inconvenient for you to not have your baby with you, but the couple was not obligated to invite the baby and it was not rude of them not to do so. The first thing you need to do is accept that, regardless of how "hurt" that makes you feel.

Second, you have a decision to make: Either you need to find someone you trust to leave the baby with or you have to decline to attend at least the reception. (If you're in the wedding party you need to attend at least the ceremony.)

I think part of OP's hurt feelings come from the fact that other children have been invited to the wedding and hers and one other child are basically being singled out as undesirable and her child is being judged on this other kid's behavior.

OP your options are decline the invitation and drop out of the wedding or just use a sitter for the time you are comfortable with/the sitter is available.  Personally I think 12 hours is a ridiculous expectation. Do your own hair and makeup and either hop into your dress very quickly at the venue or show up already dressed.  When DS was 4 months old I would have declined a wedding invite but it sounds like we have different circumstances so my reasonings wouldn't work for you. 
    </blockqu

ETA: this is my response. TK quote boxes suck all the things.

I have found that I'm a pretty breezy parent and will leave my kid generally anywhere I know the caregiver. Unfortunately, on a top 15 list of who I'd leave the baby with, they're ALL invited.

I'm thinking I'll suggest to my husband that he go early and I'll wrangle the kid and show up in time for the pics before the ceremony.
  • Options
    I'm all for kid-free weddings, but I think couples have to be realistic about the result of not invited all or certain kids. An infant doesn't have to be invited, but that may mean mom or dad can't attend or can only be there for a certain amount of time. Do you have a childcare provider who can care for the baby for a few hours? If so I would tell the bride that either you or your husband will show up for photos (if they are pre-ceremony) and the ceremony (or photos after the ceremony) and maybe the start of the reception so you can be there for the main events, but then you will have to go home. If you don't have a trusted childcare provider (and I wouldn't be happy to stick my infant with some rando recommended by the bride), then you can't go. The end.
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    Oh no. We won't just show up with the baby as that's horribly rude. It's more a tongue-in-cheek response. And I know they don't have to invite my baby, but it baffles me why my infant nephew is invited but not my infant child.
    That is a good question. I would be annoyed at that also.   It might be as a WP members,  the bride is trying to force you to "have fun" by taking the child out of the equation.  Which rarely works.  Let's face it most new moms are going to worry about the kids, let alone those who are with a new sitter.

Anyway, once my parents, siblings and myself were invited to an OOT wedding.  None of my nieces and nephews were invited (oldest was 4 at the time, the other 5 were 9-18 months old).  My sister's in-laws and my aunt and cousin drove to the same location and watched all 6 of them while we went to the wedding.  My dad covered their hotel.

Not that it's idea, but my sister lived OOT from both her in-laws and our aunt so they were excited to be able to spend time with the kids.  Maybe your husband's side?  Extended family or friends who might want to come in to help?

If that type of thing is not an option I would try and find someone to watch him for the ceremony and skip the reception.   Your child is your first priority.   4 month old is not very old, then add in a new mom and your parents and siblings being at the wedding.  I do not blame you for not wanting to leave the child to a stranger at that age.    

I get the feeling that if your parents or siblings were not invited you would leave the child. So it's not like you are being all my kid must be with me type of parent.   Most parents have a short list of caretakers.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Oh no. We won't just show up with the baby as that's horribly rude. It's more a tongue-in-cheek response. And I know they don't have to invite my baby, but it baffles me why my infant nephew is invited but not my infant child.
    Sorry. I didn't mean you. :) I was addressing anyone else who suggested it.
  • Options
    I would tell them what you said here- you don't feel comfortable with the child care options and you are going to have to cut your day short.

Who knows, maybe they will let you bring your child.

FTR- a kid cried in my ceremony and I am still married :)
  • Options

Oh no. We won't just show up with the baby as that's horribly rude. It's more a tongue-in-cheek response.

And I know they don't have to invite my baby, but it baffles me why my infant nephew is invited but not my infant child.

Wait, so another infant is invited but your infant isn't? I find that to be very rude since you're in the WP. I'd do what PPs suggested, tell her when you'll be there and show up then.
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    Wait, so another infant is invited but your infant isn't? I find that to be very rude since you're in the WP. I'd do what PPs suggested, tell her when you'll be there and show up then.
    Maybe the bride and groom are bonded to that particular kid, or something.  

ETA  or maybe the one infant is a "good" baby and isn't a crier and just sits there most of the time.
  • Options
    Her sibling's baby at that.  

I'm going with they think if she doesn't being the kid she will have more fun.    Being in the WP and all.  

Cause you know, WP member with kids are lame and are not capable  of having fun if their kid is around.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    doeydo said:

ETA  or maybe the one infant is a "good" baby and isn't a crier and just sits there most of the time.
    They call the OP's baby their "niece", sounds like they are bonded to her kid.  As for the crying, while some babies do cry more than others you cannot make assumptions about how an infant is going to behave in any situation.  Especially a new situation like a wedding.  

ETF typo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mysticl said:
    doeydo said:

They call the OP's baby their "niece", sounds like they are bonded to her kid.  As for the crying, while some babies do cry more than others you cannot make assumptions about how an infant is going to behave in any situation.  Especially a new situation like a wedding.  

ETF typo
    Right, but I just meant that maybe they spend more time with that baby so they got closer to him or her versus the other one (even though they are on the same "relative level"). 
  • Options
    doeydo said:
    mysticl said:
    doeydo said:

ETF typo
    Right, but I just meant that maybe they spend more time with that baby so they got closer to him or her versus the other one (even though they are on the same "relative level"). 

***SITB ****

While that might be true the OP is in the WP.  It stands to reason the bride would be as close to the OP's  child as the OP's sibling's child.    Let's face it they are both infants.  How close can one be to an infant?  Infants are under 12 months old. OP's is 4 months old.  It's kind of silly to think the bride has bonded so much with an infant who is 1-8 months older than the OP's that they get invited to the wedding.

It's weird.  Unless again, she is making that rule because she wants her WP members to be totally focused on herself and having the 4 month old would be distracting.    Seriously, that is the  only thing that makes sense here. 

• Options
    What is you and your husband's relationship to the bride and groom?  Are these your friends, or family? I find it baffling that you and your husband are both in the wedding party and you told her you have a conflict, and they won't budge. 

I assume the bridesmaids have to come early to get hair and makeup done, but why does your husband have to be there so early?  Can't he watch the baby in the morning, if you have to get hair and makeup done?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards