Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Hat Etiquette

2»

Re: Hat Etiquette

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Thanks for the explanation on hats! Love it!

I wish more people (myself included!) wore hats/ fascinators to more events. 
  • Options
    I really think it depends on you and your friend!  If your friend is a trendier person who embraces new styles and fashions then I say go for it!  If she is more of a traditional bride, I would probably leave that hat at home just to save yourself from making her unhappy.  You should definitely wear something that makes you feel good about yourself but not at the expense of upsetting the bride on her special day.
  • Options
    I'm old enough to remember when a Kleenex bobbypinned to my hair was fashionable (and acceptable) for Sunday Mass. Arghhh. Who were we kidding?
    My parents were married in the Catholic church back when women had to cover their heads.  In the pictures one of my cousins has a doily on her head, they added a bow to match her dress.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Well not sure how I should go with "The Hat Box", but here is someone that I think is very underrated in her fashion choices. This is Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden at a wedding with an amazing turquoise beret matching her dress (her husband in a morning suit).image

Then also notice that in the evening, when it is black tie appropriate, she and her husband have changed and she is now wearing jewelled headwear (no hat or fascinator after sunset!):

• Options
        I wear fascinator type hats all the time with certain outfits. Someday's it just going to the grocery store. People look at me like I'm an AW occasionally (and may even say something), but that's their problem not mine! My little hat isn't hurting anyone and I feel good wearing it.
    I may start doing this.
    We all should!
  • Options
    I am starting to dig the idea of a "costume change" for an event-a small hat or fascinator during the day, and then a flower or fancy comb in the evening. That's a fun idea. I love the example above with CPVoS but I am not crazy enough to think I can get away with a jeweled tiara at any time of day, or event! I did not expect this thread to get so much attention, and I'm glad it did. Let's all jump on that bandwagon in the US to bring back fabulous hats!
  • Options
    I can't even explain to you how sad this thread makes me. I love hats! I wanted to be Blossom back in the day. But I have a giant head. I can't find a hat that fits me. I did wear a fascinator a couple years ago for my cousin's wedding (lots of hats, bowties, and suspenders themed this wedding), but not a single hat that was brought by any of my family members fit my giant head. Boo!
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    I can't even explain to you how sad this thread makes me. I love hats! I wanted to be Blossom back in the day. But I have a giant head. I can't find a hat that fits me. I did wear a fascinator a couple years ago for my cousin's wedding (lots of hats, bowties, and suspenders themed this wedding), but not a single hat that was brought by any of my family members fit my giant head. Boo!
    I have this issue too.  I love hats but none of the one size fits all fit me (unless it's a ball cap with the adjustable band), they look wrong and they hurt. Headbands hurt too.  There was some surprise displayed when I was measured for my graduation cap once upon a time.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mysticl said:
    adk19 said:
    I have this issue too.  I love hats but none of the one size fits all fit me (unless it's a ball cap with the adjustable band), they look wrong and they hurt. Headbands hurt too.  There was some surprise displayed when I was measured for my graduation cap once upon a time.  
    Yep.  Bicycle helmets come in three sizes; Women and Children size, Regular size, and "Giant Melon" size.  I'm a woman who wears a Giant Melon size bicycle helmet.  That makes me super smart, right?
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    mysticl said:
    adk19 said:
    Yep.  Bicycle helmets come in three sizes; Women and Children size, Regular size, and "Giant Melon" size.  I'm a woman who wears a Giant Melon size bicycle helmet.  That makes me super smart, right?
    Works for me.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards