Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

"These Ruined Photos Will Make You Want to Have an Unplugged Wedding"

The headline from this piece is a little over the top, but they do have some points. People blocking the professional photographer is crazy-making.

From Loverly click here for the link.

Re: "These Ruined Photos Will Make You Want to Have an Unplugged Wedding"

• Options
    I haven't gotten anything back from the photographer except a few previews, but I'm not worried about it. My photographer is a professional and I treasure the pictures that I  have gotten to see!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Also, I can't get over the one about the little boy who wasn't even a wedding guest. Please explain to me how having an unplugged wedding would've helped that.
  • Options
    I will say the same thing I've said in all other threads related to this. These aare not cellphone issues. These are asshole issues. Unless you byan assholes from your wedding, shit happens jhappens.

Sorry. DFor weird spelling s my phone is nbeing an asshole

Anniversary
  • Options
    chibiyui said:
    I will say the same thing I've said in all other threads related to this. These aare not cellphone issues. These are asshole issues. Unless you byan assholes from your wedding, shit happens jhappens. Sorry. DFor weird spelling s my phone is nbeing an asshole
    yep.

I had over 1500 shots. I'm sure there were some shots "ruined" by a guest, bad lighting, whatever.   NBD, there were others out there to pick from.    

Besides I got a lot of great shots from my guests too.   More the merrier for me.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm beginning to feel like this is just like the "why are you all so mean to newbs" type post we get every few weeks. Yup, that's nice and don't care

• Options

Oh goody, another article telling you why you should tell grown-ass adults how to behave. Because it always works out well!

I'm sorry, but the whole unplugged craze is beyond me. I had 2 shooters for my wedding, and they took several thousand photos. We got back about 400 that they selected for us. None of them were ruined by a camera, smartphone, iPad, etc. Your photographers are paid professionals. If they're any good, they're going to be able to maneuver around an enthusiastic amateur photog relative/friend.

And let's be realistic. If someone is going to be rude enough to jump into a shot at a key moment ahead of the photographer, they are not going to listen to any requests or demands that you make telling them not to take pictures. 

Its actually not another article, its the same one!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bridal-guide/why-you-might-want-to-con_b_3331528.html

I was looking at the photos and thinking I swear I've seen it before. Its just the same bad photographer from the article that got posted a million times before.

• Options
    My friend attempted to have an unplugged wedding. She even FB messaged everyone a few weeks before reminding us all of it. Nonetheless, one of her H's family members recorded the whole thing on his iPad with the flash on. That would have been rude regardless of what he'd been asked, but assholes are assholes.

Note: her photos turned out fine. The only time you notice his spotlight is in the wedding video, which has forever captured him as "that douche with an iPad."

• Options
    ^ Yeah this is actually the same article, published on a different site.

• Options
    I really don't get the part about the posed, formal shots after the wedding.  I remember being at weddings decades ago (before cellphone cameras) and people would stand there and take pictures.  The photographer would simply ask that everyone let him or her take the first shot of each pose before they took their shots.  And people complied.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    All of these photos came from the SAME PHOTOGRAPHER, from multiple weddings, so guess what? Corey Ann the photographer isn't a top-notch professional because she would rather sit back at a wedding and cry over a guest jumping in front of her rather than being proactive about how to best do her job. Seriously, how many times did she say "This just about made me cry!"

I get that the one chapel wouldn't allow her to get that close to the ceremony, but then a conversation with the couple needs to happen to inform them that their choice of venue will result in very limited photography on her part. Perhaps having "guest photographers" will then work in the couples' favor, because at least someone will be able to get some closer shots.

For things like blocked first kisses, I don't understand it at all. I feel like any reasonable adult will see a professional photographer standing in a very conspicuous place & realize that they're trying to get some important shots. If that adult STILL jumps in the way, the photographer has the right to say "Could you please excuse me?" and I guarantee you the guest will move.

The over-exposed photos give way to what I think is the ONLY reasonable photography-related request. A simple "Please refrain from any flash photography within the church/venue" will suffice. If people listen, great. If not, then you can only hope that your photographer is able to snap more than one picture....

There's a reason that a lot of photographers won't give you every single photo they took straight out of their camera. I can go through photos I take with my DSLR and pull out random crappy ones too. Then the next one is a lot better.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    mysticl said:
    I really don't get the part about the posed, formal shots after the wedding.  I remember being at weddings decades ago (before cellphone cameras) and people would stand there and take pictures.  The photographer would simply ask that everyone let him or her take the first shot of each pose before they took their shots.  And people complied.
    Exactly. Our photographer reminded everyone in the pictures to look at her and not the iphone in the background.
    Anniversary
  • Options

Oh goody, another article telling you why you should tell grown-ass adults how to behave. Because it always works out well!

I'm sorry, but the whole unplugged craze is beyond me. I had 2 shooters for my wedding, and they took several thousand photos. We got back about 400 that they selected for us. None of them were ruined by a camera, smartphone, iPad, etc. Your photographers are paid professionals. If they're any good, they're going to be able to maneuver around an enthusiastic amateur photog relative/friend.

And let's be realistic. If someone is going to be rude enough to jump into a shot at a key moment ahead of the photographer, they are not going to listen to any requests or demands that you make telling them not to take pictures. 

Its actually not another article, its the same one!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bridal-guide/why-you-might-want-to-con_b_3331528.html

I was looking at the photos and thinking I swear I've seen it before. Its just the same bad photographer from the article that got posted a million times before.

So, what's the common denominator in all these articles? Ding, ding, ding! The same photographer. I'm starting to think the "award winning photographer" isn't very good.
    Especially when one of the comments is "I couldnt get around this man" and there is clearly 3 feet next to the man. Just walk around! He isn't a mountain!

• Options
    @ashleyep EXACTLY, this photographer obviously chose all the shitty photos on her reel from each wedding to use it as an example of how to try and control your guests. It's like the reverse version of an athlete's highlight film.

Also, regarding what you said about your photographer giving everyone a reminder of which way to look: I read somewhere during a similar discussion that the pro photographer would say things like "Alright people, I know there's a lot of camera around, so make sure to look for the one that you paid a lot of money to have here!" Apparently this not only worked, but it got a genuine laugh/smile out of the people posing and the posed photos came out even better.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    KayDeee said:
    The headline from this piece is a little over the top, but they do have some points. People blocking the professional photographer is crazy-making.

From Loverly click here for the link.

Oh FFS not this damn article again!

Look at the first two photos. . . no way in hell guests taking pictures washed them out to that degree.  Either Corey Ann doctored those images to look worse than they are, or there was another light source that she's not telling us the full story about.

Also, a professional photographer has the ability to take multiple pics a second- like 8+  So even if a guest dares to take your photo, your photographer will have 7+ other shots to choose from. . .and if they don't, then you chose a bad photog.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Let me C&P my thoughts from the *last* time this stupid article was posted:

That article that YOU ALL KEEP POSTING in order to validate your rudeness is terrible and I believe many of the images have been manipulated in Photoshop to validate this unplugged wedding bullshit that Corey Ann is peddling.

From the following article: http://blog.craigmitchelldyer.com/2013/05/30/unplugged-wedding-no-way-plug-in/

"Flash from a camera messing up your photo, well, that’s why my camera shoots 8 frames a second. I’ll have 7 other images to choose from – like this one where the audience flash made the photo look even better – and chances are, my flashes will screw up their images more than the other way around."

If your photographer misses all 8 shots with his fancy DSLR because a guest uses their flash, then you should probably have hired a photographer who knows what the fuck they are doing.

For more on the stupidity of "unplugged" weddings read: http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1017479/unplugged-wedding-thoughts/p1

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    The issue I take with this article is that in the pictures those guests are mostly using cameras. Cameras have been around for decades without people needing to have "unplugged" weddings. The reason for unplugged weddings go beyond ruining professional wedding pictures. This person is just jumping on the latest trend to air his grievances.

I absolutely agree that guests can ruin otherwise beautiful pro pictures, but telling them not to take pictures isn't going to stop them. It never has before.
    I went to one wedding where the priest asked us not to take pictures during the ceremony and that he would have a moment towards the end where we could grab some shots of the couple at the alter. People still let their flashes fly during the ceremony. There are always going to be people who either don't hear/read the message. And there will always be guests who think they are the exception or that no one will notice or what ever.
  • Options
    My friend attempted to have an unplugged wedding. She even FB messaged everyone a few weeks before reminding us all of it. Nonetheless, one of her H's family members recorded the whole thing on his iPad with the flash on. That would have been rude regardless of what he'd been asked, but assholes are assholes.

Note: her photos turned out fine. The only time you notice his spotlight is in the wedding video, which has forever captured him as "that douche with an iPad."
    FOREVER MY FAV
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    beethery said:

FOREVER MY FAV

My grandma has a first gen iPad and an iPhone 5s. She is always taking pictures with her iPad and I've tried to explain to her that her phone will take better pictures. She doesn't get it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards