Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Not sure?

My wedding is October 12th. I need to have my dress altered but not sure when?

I tried it on Sunday, and really all its going to need is to be hemmed and my sash sewn on.

My Knot checklist says to have both my first and final fitting done by August 31st. I had called a lady in my town to ask her to do my alterations and she basically told me she doesnt do alterations until 2 weeks prior. She does this out of her home. She was reccomended by a bridal shop I had called. The bridal shop wasn't taking any new clients (too many brides lol)

So when should my fitting be?

Re: Not sure?

• Options
    My wedding is September 27th and I just brought my dress in for alterations 2 weeks ago. I'll most likely go in for my first/only fitting next week, and then she'll do the bustle once she knows the hem is correct. I'll pick it up after that. If the woman you called has good reviews (meaning everyone has gotten their dress on time), and your dress doesn't need major alterations (mine were very minimal), it should be okay. Do you know of any other independent seamstresses you can call to maybe get a little more flexible time frame?
  • Options
    TKs checklist is wrong.  You don't want your final fitting to be done so far in advance because you may end up losing or gaining weight in the last two months leading up to your wedding because stress and excitement can cause your weight to fluctuate.

If you are comfortable with the seamstress that was recommended then I would take her advice and get your dress altered 2 weeks prior.

I had my first fitting about a month before and then my final fitting two days before and all I needed was a hem, a two point bustle and my shoulder strap in the back moved from one side to the other.

• Options
    You should set up a time to meet with her soon so she can see the dress and gauge how much work it'll take.  Then follow her lead.  If she says two weeks, two weeks.  If she says there's a lot to be done, so she'll need it by Sept. 20, same thing.  Let her dictate the pace since she'll know how much needs to be done.
  • Options
    My bridal boutique won't start alterations till 8 weeks prior, no matter how much work needs to be done, and they said that's always been enough time. Depending on your dress, a hem doesn't take much time or work (I've stood there and watched a wedding dress get hemmed in less than 20 minutes). It's usually way simpler and easier than something like taking in a seam. And sewing the sash on will probably take about 30 seconds for an experienced seamstress. I think two weeks will be ok for you, so don't stress too much. But I agree with the PP, that you should try to meet with this lady a little sooner just to make SURE that two weeks will be enough. 
  • Options
    When you have it done I think depends on how much you need to have done on alterations & how complicated the alterations may be based on the details of the dress.
  • Options
    I think that sounds about right. It shouldn't take that long for what you want done. I would listen to her and wait until the two weeks.
  • Options

Thanks everyone! I wound up calling a bridal shop who does alterations (also reccomended by other shop) and they told me to come in and they can see if they could do it. Since my dress is tulle and ruffled we opted out of a hem and added more poofiness to the dress to help pick it up in the front. The dress wasnt super long on me. She is also going to add a french bustle so I can pull up my train when dancing :). And lastly she's gonna to sew my sash on. All together they charged me $250!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards