Wedding Party

Mother of Bride/Groom outfits!

2»

Re: Mother of Bride/Groom outfits!

• For my wedding, my mom played the "I don't have anything to wear" card. I took her to the mall where she must have tried on 20 outfits, and there was a different reason why each one was unsuitable.  She was passive/aggressive, yes. But I wasn't going through that again.

I told her, either get something new, or wear whatever is in your closet. She asks is it ok if she gets a muted print? I said, I don't care if you get pink and purple stripes with red and yellow polka dots.

She got a perfectly fine pink 2 piece dress, on her own. I don't know if this story relates to anything on the board, but moms will drive daughters crazy, one way or another.

• Turns out my FDIL did not love the dress I wore to my daughter's wedding.  She had my son talk to my husband who made a suggestion to me.  I am kind of low key about stuff like that, so she probably could have just talked to me.  How are the MOB/MOG supposed to know the bride's preferences if nobody says anything?
    Your FDIL should have kept her mouth shut.

She gets to pick her own dress.  She gets to pick her wedding party members' dresses.  She doesn't get to pick yours.  If you want to wear the same dress to her wedding that you wore to your daughter's, that's your right and privilege.  If she doesn't like it, that's her problem-not yours.

• Okay I need help deciding what the mothers should wear!!! My dress is ivory with a champagne underlay, the tuxes are charcoal grey, and the bridesmaids are wearing plum. David's bridal suggested the mothers in navy and a wine red which I think looks beautiful. The grooms mother wants to wear champagne. I don't want it that matchy and feel like her dress will compete with mine in pictures. What should I do?

I included pictures of my dress for reference!

Your MIL and Mother should be the ones deciding what they will be wearing for your wedding.  They are grown women, they get to dress themselves.

Nothing anyone wears will "compete" with your dress in pictures.  That is absurd.  I'm wearing a Maggie dress that is ivory lace over light gold, and my MIL picked a champagne/taupe lace dress to wear and it is gorgeous:

I think you will be fine.  These are some champagne dresses and they still don't look bridal next to you:

I think all of these dresses look bridal and would be inappropriate for any guest to wear to the wedding. Is it really that hard to buy a dress in a color?
  • I don't really have anything to add except that I think red with purple is a horrible color scheme. Navy would be okay, but red would look really bad.

• Okay I need help deciding what the mothers should wear!!! My dress is ivory with a champagne underlay, the tuxes are charcoal grey, and the bridesmaids are wearing plum. David's bridal suggested the mothers in navy and a wine red which I think looks beautiful. The grooms mother wants to wear champagne. I don't want it that matchy and feel like her dress will compete with mine in pictures. What should I do? I included pictures of my dress for reference!
    Your MIL and Mother should be the ones deciding what they will be wearing for your wedding.  They are grown women, they get to dress themselves.

Nothing anyone wears will "compete" with your dress in pictures.  That is absurd.  I'm wearing a Maggie dress that is ivory lace over light gold, and my MIL picked a champagne/taupe lace dress to wear and it is gorgeous:

I think you will be fine.  These are some champagne dresses and they still don't look bridal next to you:

I think all of these dresses look bridal and would be inappropriate for any guest to wear to the wedding. Is it really that hard to buy a dress in a color?

Champagne and ivory are colors, though.

Why does the Bride get to monopolize white, ivory, champagne, and lace?  Do you really think anyone in their right mind would mistake a person wearing the dresses I posted for the bride, just because they happen to be wearing "bridal" colors and lace?  And if nno one will mistake another person for the bride, then why all this fuss over what other people are wearing?

Is it really so hard for women to stop buying into this bullshit notion that certain attire and colors are off limits for weddings?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Interesting. So, since I plan on wearing a pink dress to my wedding, the concensus is that I should inform all my guests that they should avoid wearing pink along with white, ivory, cream, and champagne, huh? I mean, that's not ridiculous or anything, is it? /sarcasm
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards