Budget Weddings Forum
Options

Help!! Extremely low budget!!!

I have finally decided on a date for my wedding (Aug 8, 2015) 11 months away. My fiancé is the last in his family (besides his uncle), so no financial help from that end, and my mom is divorced and struggling to pay her own bills and raise my 2 younger sisters. I have hinted to my dad about helping with budgeting and have not gotten a straightforward response, so if any help I'm not expecting much. My fiancé and I have worked some numbers and can come up with only $2000 budget. I need help finding a venue that doesn't break the bank. I'm pretty crafty so I'm not worried about decor, and I am even thinking about baking the cake/cupcakes. I have found a website for very cheap dresses (if i wear one, groom is just wearing nice pants with a nice shirt). Any help and advice would be a big help and greatly appreciated!!!

Re: Help!! Extremely low budget!!!

• Options
    Backyard, courthouses, public parks, a church if you're affiliated with one, or maybe there's a place that isn't usually associated with weddings that you can ask about.

I would post in your local board here since this one is international; you may be able to get more specific suggestions.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you time it carefully, a wedding can be cake, soft drinks and that's it.  Some of the most touching weddings I have attended were just that and I loved every minute.  As for flowers, check Pinterest.  Baby's breath is super inexpensive and makes some of the most romantic and dramatic bouquets and center pieces.  Also, check out dollartree.com
  • Options
    What kind of guest list are we talking about? There's a big difference between $2k for, say, 20 guests and $2k for 100.
  • Options
    The easiest way to keep the cost down is to invite fewer people. Keep it small and intimate. We are having a fairly casual wedding and it's about $30 per guest. That includes a buffet brunch meal. 
    Mornings are cheaper than evenings. Fridays are cheaper than Saturdays and weekdays are the cheapest. 
    Cut down on details as much as you can. For example, we did not send "Save the Dates" and just sent invitations early. Figure out what is a priority for you, and what you can go without. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I have finally decided on a date for my wedding (Aug 8, 2015) 11 months away. My fiancé is the last in his family (besides his uncle), so no financial help from that end, and my mom is divorced and struggling to pay her own bills and raise my 2 younger sisters. I have hinted to my dad about helping with budgeting and have not gotten a straightforward response, so if any help I'm not expecting much. My fiancé and I have worked some numbers and can come up with only $2000 budget. I need help finding a venue that doesn't break the bank. I'm pretty crafty so I'm not worried about decor, and I am even thinking about baking the cake/cupcakes. I have found a website for very cheap dresses (if i wear one, groom is just wearing nice pants with a nice shirt). Any help and advice would be a big help and greatly appreciated!!!
    A backyard barbecue or a cake/punch for a smallish crowd should be affordable on that budget.  Or if you belong to a church, have the whole thing there - cake/punch in the church hall should be very affordable.  There are also lots of places you can get an inexpensive, nice dress.  If you want something simple and not very bridal, you have tons of options.  ModCloth is the first that comes to mind for me.

Don't worry too much about decor - cover your location(s) and food cost first, then worry about the rest of it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The biggest thing will be keeping your guest list small. I'd do an afternoon ceremony with light refreshments and end at 5pm. That way you don't have to serve a meal. If you can accommodate, do just family and very close friends in your backyard or a public park
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

Keep the guest list small. We're having 40-50 people, and I think the cost will fall under $2000. We had budgeted $5000 for 100, but now we actually get to take a honeymoon because we decided to keep it small.

I just invited my parents, grandparents, bridesmaids, groomsmen, ring bearer (and his parents), and the officiant, who is my God father.

Two of my cousins assume that they were invited, which made for an awkward conversation, but it all worked out. 

• Options
    I'm in the process of cutting the guest list to about 20-30 people. I would love to have everything in my backyard however it is not quite big enough. All of the decor is from my friends weddings so no costs there and I'm not doing any flowers other than maybe a small bouquet for myself. My family loves to party so food and alcohol are about the only things I'm not willing to skimp on. That being said, i don't need appetizers or 3-6 course meals, just something that is going to fill them up. Family photographer is a great idea ill just need to find a volunteer!
  • Options
    I'm in the process of cutting the guest list to about 20-30 people. I would love to have everything in my backyard however it is not quite big enough. All of the decor is from my friends weddings so no costs there and I'm not doing any flowers other than maybe a small bouquet for myself. My family loves to party so food and alcohol are about the only things I'm not willing to skimp on. That being said, i don't need appetizers or 3-6 course meals, just something that is going to fill them up. Family photographer is a great idea ill just need to find a volunteer!

Congrats on having your priorities in order! Food, drink, and comfort are paramount. If you're getting married in a church, there usually is a fellowship hall available where the rental is just the cost of the sexton/janitor.
  • Options

Have you considered having a Stock the Bar Party? That would be a great way to cut costs on alcohol for the reception. My fiance' and I are having an Engagement/Stock the Bar Party combo since neither of us care about receiving bridal gifts and would much rather have gifted alcohol for the wedding.

Also, being a Budget Bride myself, I am not interested in spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on a wedding dress. I would much rather use that money else where in my wedding budget. I ended up finding a gorgeous gown on Macy's website. I bought 4 dresses initially- all with free shipping and a 10% off sale- and returned the other 3 (that didn't make the cut) to my local store without any hassel. I only spent $179 on the winning dress!

• Options
    @auntheater what dress did you get from macys? I just ordered one today though not sure if it will fit or if I will like it but since it can be returned it is worth a shot.
  • Options
    Now I'm curious on the "stock the bar party" idea. I always thought of that as something people do as a house warming type of party, like let's stock the bar at their new house. Do people do these too to stock the wedding reception bar? I've never heard of that
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    Now I'm curious on the "stock the bar party" idea. I always thought of that as something people do as a house warming type of party, like let's stock the bar at their new house. Do people do these too to stock the wedding reception bar? I've never heard of that
    I've never heard of stocking the bar parties being for wedding alcohol. 

I've only ever heard of them like a theme shower (e.g. lingerie shower, etc.). I went to one where it was a cocktail theme shower and the couple had a separate registry for just bar stuff - like wine glasses, tumblers, wine stoppers, whiskey stones, etc. I gifted a wine opener w/ accessories with a nice bottle of wine (even though they didn't register for wine).

Generally, I don't like themed showers because they're really specific about what to buy. I'd be pretty annoyed if someone asked me to supply them with straight up booze. Or worse, to provide the alcohol for their wedding. Ugh. The one above didn't really bother me because there was a registry from a normal store, just like any other shower. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

Have you considered having a Stock the Bar Party? That would be a great way to cut costs on alcohol for the reception. My fiance' and I are having an Engagement/Stock the Bar Party combo since neither of us care about receiving bridal gifts and would much rather have gifted alcohol for the wedding.

Also, being a Budget Bride myself, I am not interested in spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on a wedding dress. I would much rather use that money else where in my wedding budget. I ended up finding a gorgeous gown on Macy's website. I bought 4 dresses initially- all with free shipping and a 10% off sale- and returned the other 3 (that didn't make the cut) to my local store without any hassel. I only spent $179 on the winning dress!

This is the kind of post that makes me wish there was a Hate It button. OP - this is a big fat NO.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Wow. I didn't realize that my Stock the Bar suggestion was such a faux pas. I find it hard to believe that I am the only person who has either attended one for someone else's wedding, or is considering it for my own. Oh well, to each their own I suppose.
  • Options
    auntheaterauntheater member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2014
    @kvruns This is the dress I bought. It was the perfect length (in heels) for me, so no additional alterations are needed.

• Options
    auntheaterauntheater member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2014
    In both my family and community it is acceptable to help the couple in any way needed for their wedding. As I mentioned in my original post, my fiance and I are not having a bridal shower because we do not wish to receive gifts- same goes for wedding gifts too.

A complete outsourcing would be having all of our guests pay for everything in order to attend our wedding. My fiance and I are paying for the entire wedding and reception ourselves. We are not fortunate, like many others, to have financial assistance from our families- and we will not go into debt to have our dream wedding. So if our guests are willing to celebrate us by gifting a bottle of wine or a 6 pack of beer to be served at our reception- at a party being thrown on our behalf and not by us- then we will graciously accept it. 

The original poster mentioned that she would not skimp on food or alcohol because her family loves to party. Maybe she has family and friends like mine that wouldn't mind helping by gifting alcohol? Clearly this is unacceptable in many of your social circles. Either way it was just a suggestion to her. 
  • Options
    @auntheater cute dress! Mine is supposed to arrive Friday, I hope I like it like you liked yours :)
  • Options
    If you haven't decided on invites, save the date etc..we joined this website called appycouple. It has saved sooo much time and money. You pay a one time fee of $35 and it keeps everyone informed of what is going on without losing the invite :p. Plus now a days most people have a smart phone or computer. Mine isn't finished because we haven't worked out the details but I will post mine so you can get an idea. http://www.appycouple.com/wedding/winterwonderland1
  • Options
    Also I don't know if you have them in Illinois (I'm in Arizona) but I went to a Goodwill bridal shop (recently opened). & I purchased my dress for $100, and it wasn't ever worn! Still had tags on it for $1600!!!
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    If you haven't decided on invites, save the date etc..we joined this website called appycouple. It has saved sooo much time and money. You pay a one time fee of $35 and it keeps everyone informed of what is going on without losing the invite :p. Plus now a days most people have a smart phone or computer. Mine isn't finished because we haven't worked out the details but I will post mine so you can get an idea. http://www.appycouple.com/wedding/winterwonderland1
    You really need printed invitations to a wedding!  E-vites are OK for some things, but not weddings!  Vistaprint has great prices and designs.  If you sign up on their website, they will email you sales promotions. (Never pay their full price.)  Also, you can get beautiful invitation kits at Michael's or Hobby Lobby and run them through your printer.

As for the website, The Knot has the same thing FREE.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    OP, don't let magazines, movies and TV shows fool you! You do not need to spend a fortune to have a beautiful wedding. Also, it would be prudent to not expect (or ask) for any money for your wedding. Budget what you know you and your fiancee can afford. If you are offered more, you can choose to graciously accept at that time. Even then, I suggest not placing anything in the budget until you have the money.

I will also join the lot saying 'no' to anything that tells your guests that they need to bring or provide something for any part of the festivities. Guests are never obligated to bring gifts, nor are they responsible with partially hosting by providing alcohol.

Now that you have your budget, narrow your guest list down. You really won't be able to find a venue until you know your guest list anyways, since your guest total will usually affect the cost of venues. It will also affect which venues are available to you in the first place. We looked into quite a few venues but many didn't work because we would have too many people, but this may mean you have more options - which is great!

Best of luck to you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards