Florida-South Florida
Options

South Florida Wedding Venues on a Budget - My experience (Prices Included!)

safire3safire3 member
First Comment First Anniversary
edited September 2014 in Florida-South Florida
Hey guys I've been meaning to post this for a while. This was my experience looking for a venue for 150 people on budget of about $12000. I see many people are in a similar predicament right now lol. I was also preferably looking for a venue that would allow us to bring in our own catering since my fiancé has a friend who is a chef and will give us a good deal. Please keep in mind that these are the prices that I was quoted. You know how these things work, they may quote you a lower or higher price for various reasons. So here goes: 

Places I actually visited: 

- Signature Grand: Kind of a 'wedding-in-a-box' place but I liked it anyway. The inside was pretty and I think I would have really enjoyed working with the consultant I met with (ask for Leyanis if you call or go!). Pros - No need for a wedding planner, bridal suite included on site. Cons: No outside catering, multiple weddings or other events may be going on at the same time. Cheapest package was out $80pp. Would have been $13000 for package I wanted for my number of guests (thats before tax plus add $2 per person for valet parking - yes per person, not per car!) 

- SOHO: They have a cute outdoor ceremony area and indoor reception area. Packages including catering start at $91pp .They do allow outside catering but you must use their bar. In that case venue rental is $5000 plus $2500 security deposit plus $20pp for their bar service. Pros- free parking in decent sized lot behind venue, nice uplighting in reception area. Cons - high security deposit, no plan for bad weather - we asked and were told 'well you can always rent a tent'. 

- Broward Center for the performing Arts, Mary N Porter Riverview Ballroom at the Huizenga Pavillion: My fiancé and I were super excited about this place, the website said ballroom rental alone was $2000. Turns out I guess that doesn't apply to weddings. They don't allow outside catering and packages start at $98pp. The room is beautiful though with big glass windows and a river view as the name implies. There is also a little courtyard and a gazebo nearby that can be used for the ceremony. Pros: Nice location, parking garage nearby at $12 per car. Cons: Restaurant downstairs set to open soon, also if there is any production going on at the same time at the performing arts center it may be a big distraction as well. 

- The Gallery of Amazing Things: A museum, now moved upstairs and downstairs being used for events. Didn't' really like the set up. Seemed like it would make a better nightclub than reception venue. No windows, just artificial lighting though I'm sure it looks very nice when they drape the ceiling and use the colored lighting. Price for venue rental alone was $5000. Only place that doesn't include chairs and tables in their price. Cons: Expensive for venue only, no ceremony area, for my number of people would also have to pay for valet parking. Pros: Can be different and unique, especially if you're an artsy person you can do a lot with the space, you can even use some of their pieces as your decor.

- Shane Center: Ultimately the venue I chose. Bright, nice view, outside ceremony area with contingency plan for bad weather, good price. For my day and number of guests $3500 rental fee + $900 security deposit + $200 and something for security guard. Pros: Ceremony area is beautiful, especially at sunset, the ladies seem nice and easy to work with, even stayed back late to show us the place after work. Cons: Parking may be tight (I think they have 73 spots and they belong to the city so other people can park there but usually there aren't make people parking there on a Saturday evening), no bridal suite, limited areas for taking pics- we may go to a park that's like 2 mins away for pics). 

Other places that I was in contact with or got quotes form: 

- Crowne Plaza Hollywood Hotel - About $16000 for my # ($87pp cheapest). No outside catering unless you're Jewish and want kosher 
- Leiser Opera Center - $2400 venue rental, outside catering only. Parkin $7 per car. When I called the guy had an attitude, didn't want to give me any info instead saying 'Didn't you visit the website?' but told me like 100 times that I better not have even one person over 150. After that I never cared to visit but it's a popular place for people looking for somewhere that allows outside catering 
- Old davie School - very popular it seems but I just didn't like the look of the pics online. $1500 for 4 hr event (venue rental only of course) with extra 1 hr set-up and 1hr clean up. Extra fee to rent outdoor ceremony area 
- Spanish Monastery - also very popular here. Didn't write down pricing but it's on the website and I found it expensive, especially if you want to do ceremony there as well. Also didn't like the set up in most pics with tables in a row in the corridor. Would prefer an open space where guests can walk around and mingle. 
- Embassy Suites Ft Lauderdale - highly recommended here but starts at $110pp 
- Broward County Parks - Specifically I looked at Mangrove Hall at the Anne Kolb Nature Center but I think most parks have similar rules. You have to be done by 11pm (after clean-up, which means you would have to end around 10) also only beer and wine permitted. 

There are some companies that do all inclusive events, they have packages that include not just venue and catering but stuff like photo, video, flowers and DJ as well. I'm kinda skeptical but they may be good for people out of state trying to plan a destination wedding. 
- Reiken Weddings - very affordable pricing on site (didn't write down exact price, sorry). Actually tried to meet with this person but location was kind of shady and she was more than 15mins late so we left.
- Exquisite Wedding Productions - Said they could do my number of people for about $13000 with everything included except photography 
- A Fancy Fiesta Production - Packages starting at $49pp for 4 hrs with non-alcoholic bar but you can upgrade.
 - Jubilee Ballroom - Middle package for $8100 for 150 persons. Didn't like location or carpet in pics. 

There are a lot of other places I checked out but most were more expensive. Also I live close to Ft. lauderdale and have a lot of family coming in from out of state and country so wasn't really interested in looking further south or north but there are a few other good options, especially in Coral Gables area. Remember too that these prices don't include tax and the total tax can be up to 26%! After this experience I need to find a venue and go into the wedding planning business! Good luck fellow south Florida brides, feel free to ask if you have any questions :)

Re: South Florida Wedding Venues on a Budget - My experience (Prices Included!)

• Options

This was so helpful!!! I got engaged in August and am looking to get married in Broward County in April 2016.  My fiancé and I have very big families, so our guest list won't be less than 210 people which, of course, is incredibly pricey.  I have been looking at SOHO. Broward Center for Perfomring Arts and Gallery of Amazing Things as venues along with some other places on your list.  I feel like I have a much bigger understanding and some realistic expectations when I go to do my own in-person consultations.  Thank you for being so detailed in your post!

• Options
    No problem. Good luck and let us know which venue you end up choosing!
  • Options
    amazing thank you for sharing!
  • Options

Great post! 

I've checked out all of you rlisted venues and then some.  Before I started planning my own wedding, a friend of mines and his wife asked me to help with theirs (they know I am researcher by nature).

if I can, I'd like to add some other venues as well:

Floridian Ballrooms is another great venue.  However, for me, it waaaaayyyyy to far.  It's west of I-75, about 7-10 miles.  I, too, live near Fort Lauderdale and having to take I-95 to 595 to I-75 is  just  a bit much.  It's in a plaza with other businesses, so keep in mind that your guests may be competing for parking with the local patrons, unless your wedding is later into the aftenoon or evening.  The approximate price for 100-125 guests, I believe was about $12k, but that was for a Sunday

Hollywood Arts and Center is similiar to Gallery of Amazing Things.....it's quite artsy.  The rental alone is approx. $1700, I think......if you have alcohol, it'[s almost double (insurance purposes)

A9 Event Center is a venue for smaller parties.  I don't think they can hold more than 100 people.  The venue has gorgeous lighting and is very modern.  However, at my last check it was $5000 for Saturday, $4000 Friday and Sunday and $2500 for a weeknight, just to rent the space and catering packages started at $1000.

Deer Creek Country Club...beautiful facility!!!!!  however, the starting price was about $89 per person.  I stopped there because it was outside of my budget

• Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the additions and good luck in your search!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards