Chit Chat

Bigger house or better town?

124»

Re: Bigger house or better town?

• ScoutF said:
    Kahlyla said:
    For some reason I have a hard time believing that these people the OP meets are saying things like, "Ew, that place is so ghetto, it's full of Puerto Ricans!" They're not saying that shit, right? They may be thinking it, sure. But here on this board, essentially, OP is the one saying it. "My town has a lot of minorities. People say it's ghetto. It also has shitty schools, so I guess they're not really wrong."

If they're not mentioning the ethnic makeup of the town, why is it in OP's head? She literally says it's the minority population that gives it a bad reputation. It certainly seems to be informing her own perception of the town and her use of the word "also" suggests that she considers the minority population part of what makes the town "ghetto".

Now, I can see how all of this may reflect (mostly) poor wording choices. Perhaps these people from other towns are explicitly stating that the minorities are the problem, and OP just didn't precisely say as much. I can't imagine why one would choose to associate with such people or give any credence to their opinion, but that's me. But that's not what actually came across in these words, and I don't think people are wrong for reading them as they're written and responding to them. I'm really not trying to pile on here, and I didn't even really see it myself at first, but a couple of other posters have articulated it quite well and I think it's definitely worth talking about.
    She absolutely worded things poorly....but do I think she is making up that people say "ew ghetto" when she mentions her town....hell no. People do that ALL the time.

I lived in Dearborn, Michigan for awhile after I graduated college. When people would ask me where I lived and I said dearborn a large number of people went "Ewwww. really?" or even (and I'm not even kidding) "Ewww ninja's!" - Dearborn, MI has the largest muslim population in the united states. Do I think those comments were ok?....No....did they happen....Yes. Did it influence my decision to not purchase a home there.....Yes, to an extent. am I racist for saying that....No.

Was her OP worded very poorly....Yes. Do I think you guys are WAY out of hand. Yes. Especially those who are putting words in her mouth.
    The only words being "put into her mouth" are the ones that she directly typed. So, no. No one is putting any words into any mouths.
    Wrong.....I've read every single post in this thread and she NEVER said this....Want me to find more?

Having trouble quoting. But its the opposite. If the OP didn't offend you then you have never had to deal with racist people, how lucky for you. Her OP and her comment about "sorry MA is 95 percent white so its not my fault I'm racist" was disgusting. My FI is from Central MA and lived there all his life. Luckily he isn't a racist piece of shit. Towns dont call people ghetto. People do.  So OP is just saying well some people say minorities are bad for my town. So I am also going to say minorities are bad for my town. Honestly if the OP didn't jump out as you as totally messed up you need to do some serious self reflection.
  • jenna8984 said:
    Sorry, but this is New England. Lots of wealthy, 95% Caucasian towns. They heavily look down upon the towns like mine that have a lot of Puerto Ricans. Tons of my friends from high school are Puerto Rican, and I love them. I was just saying these other towns call mine ghetto, it's sad but true. 
    @iloveotters2014
  • I think people are reading too much into what @jenna8984‌ is saying. She's not claiming that her safety is in jeopardy or that she doesn't want minorities for neighbors. She is (I assume) looking out for the resale value of the home. I don't think it was necessary to cite the minority makeup, however.
    I mean, she specifically said, "People say my town is bad because of minorities". And then went on to say "Welp. The schools are bad, so I guess they are right". (And also, "But I have minorities as friends!" UM...) I don't feel like anyone was reading into anything that wasn't there. Ignorant racist comments are right there, plain as day.

ETF spelling
    Hey, I agree 100% that the comment about minorities was absolutely irrelevant and I can appreciate why people find it offensive  I raised my eyebrows at it, myself.  What she did say is that there is a perception that the area is of a lower quality.  Whether that perception is accurate or not, it still affects the resale value of the house.  And, the quality of the schools is also a huge factor when considering property value.
  • jenna8984 said:
    Sorry, but this is New England. Lots of wealthy, 95% Caucasian towns. They heavily look down upon the towns like mine that have a lot of Puerto Ricans. Tons of my friends from high school are Puerto Rican, and I love them. I was just saying these other towns call mine ghetto, it's sad but true. 
    @iloveotters2014
    In what world does that say this

"sorry MA is 95 percent white so its not my fault I'm racist"

oh right....it doesn't. WORDS IN MOUTH. Period.
    False. OP made a racist comment about minorities lowering the value of her neighborhood. She then went on to post the above to justify her racist comment. 
  • jenna8984 said:
    @iloveotters2014

False. OP made a racist comment about minorities lowering the value of her neighborhood. She then went on to post the above to justify her racist comment. 
    I'm stating a fact....and you are stating an implication. Words are being twisted around and put in quotations when she did not in fact say those things. You can think whatever you want but what was quoted above was NEVER said.
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2014
    jenna8984 said:
    @iloveotters2014

Even if it's not a verbatim quote, it's a pretty clear justification that her internalized casual racism is OK because of where she lives. 

ETF: word choice

• esstee33 said:
    jenna8984 said:
    @iloveotters2014

Even if it's not a verbatim quote, it's a pretty clear justification that her internalized racism is OK because of where she lives. 

This.
  • I think people are reading too much into what @jenna8984‌ is saying. She's not claiming that her safety is in jeopardy or that she doesn't want minorities for neighbors. She is (I assume) looking out for the resale value of the home. I don't think it was necessary to cite the minority makeup, however.
    I mean, she specifically said, "People say my town is bad because of minorities". And then went on to say "Welp. The schools are bad, so I guess they are right". (And also, "But I have minorities as friends!" UM...) I don't feel like anyone was reading into anything that wasn't there. Ignorant racist comments are right there, plain as day.

ETF spelling
    Hey, I agree 100% that the comment about minorities was absolutely irrelevant and I can appreciate why people find it offensive  I raised my eyebrows at it, myself.  What she did say is that there is a perception that the area is of a lower quality.  Whether that perception is accurate or not, it still affects the resale value of the house.  And, the quality of the schools is also a huge factor when considering property value.
    Right, but the quality of schools is what actually makes the neighborhood undesirable, NOT the"minorities". 

I take great offense, not only to the unnecessary mention of minorities in the OP, but more so, to the repeated attempts to justify that ignorant comment with things like, "Well sorry (not sorry), New England is 95% white, sooo...." and "But I have Puerto Rican Friends!", when a simple, "I shouldn't have said it that way. What I actually meant was..." would have been a much better response.
    I personally don't know the area, so I don't know what may or may not make it desirable.  It could be the schools, it could be near a nuclear waste facility, or it could be any other factors.  Sadly, the ethnic and / or economic background of the residents can also drive the property value of the area.  It's a sad reality of our country, and I wish it wasn't the case.  I would NEVER attribute a neighborhood's value to the ethnicity of the residents, though.  I think Jenna could have worded this MUCH differently. 

When I was house-hunting 9 years ago, I went by the "location, location, location" motto.  My choices had nothing to do with the ethnic make-up of the area, but with the overall value of the property. 
  • I grew up in a town next to Worcester and now live a few towns over in a slightly more expensive area. We were kind of forced to live in this area because of custody stuff since BF's ex lives with her parents in Northborough. Even though I wish we could live in a cheaper area now I would definitely pick a more expensive area with better schools once we were going to have kids in school. I definitely understand the cost of houses in that area can suck though. No idea where u live currently but I also think closer to work is preferable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards