Oregon

Looking for inexpensive fall venue in Portland area! Help :-\

So I've been loving the forums and they gave me the idea to check out McMennamins locations. But as mentioned in other posts, they are, well, quirky. 

I LOVE that they dont charge a 2k rate just to rent the place. I love how its just 3000 min food order! I think thats great. I was just trying to find a non McMennamins type place that had a little more elegant wedding appeal that also had in house catering available as the total rate to rent the place. Taking that 2k off the total is SUCH a help in fitting into our 5k budget. 

Any ideas?? The kind of place I am looking for is a place like Abernethy Center in Oregon City. So classy and elegant... lots of twinkle lights (I love twinkle lights)... Just..ooooh 2k cheaper than the abernethy center.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Looking for inexpensive fall venue in Portland area! Help :-\

• edited December 2011
    Hi there, you may want to check out the Governor hotel in Portland.  They do the same thing.  Waive the room rental fee for minimum food orders.  I love that too.  :)  We're having a small intimate family affair in the Fireside room later this year and they did the minimum food purchase vs. room rental and I'm pretty sure that they said they do that for all their rooms.  Oh and the place is absolutely gorgeous if you like elegant, historic hotels. My son chose them over mcmins as well because they're more elegant/traditional vs. quirky, and did the food minimum vs. room rental fee. 
  • thecatergatorthecatergator member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When we looked at the Governor hotel, they suggested that we go with a room that was painted like Alice in Wonderland due to only 75 guests.  I know that the ballroom would have been too large but the Alice in Wonderland room is "quirky"  and just looked old and weird.  I would avoid that room if possible.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you! I think I looked at them briefly already but didnt realize they'd wave the fee. Thank you so much for your idea!! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Called them. Their food and beverage minimum was 8k. Is that what you were paying? Thats a bit too out of the budget for food and drink. But I agree its gorgeous looking. Has anyone had a wedding at Columbia Edgewater Country Club? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kimmykupcakeskimmykupcakes member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IHave you tried the Peacock Cleaners at Ace Hotel. We looked at them before we were going to do a DW and thought it was a pretty good price.  We looked at Jupiter Hotel at Doug Fir, too.
  • edited December 2011
    Have you looked at the Riverview Restaurant in Troutdale? We had our rehearsal and rehearsal dinner there and it was pretty. We had a $500 food and beverage minimum for up to 40 people, which of course goes up for their larger spaces. You can do the ceremony outside. 

Another thought about Edgefield: Once you are in most of the halls at Mcminimens it really does look like most other typical wedding halls. In the evening we turned the lights down and did a lot of candle light. If you bring in classy decorations and use white linens it would look classy and kind of no descript. If you brought in corky decorations, like I tried to do, it will look more bohemian. 
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe Lakeside Gardens out at foster near 174th...I think. My nail tech got married there, she said it was pretty affordable and really pretty.
  • edited December 2011
    How awesome, I'll look all these places up. Thank you everyone... !
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ouch $8k for the Governor?  I didn't realize.  We're only renting a very small room for our affair and it's only $600 min food/drink order (30 max capacity for the room for a banquet). But I didn't realize the price would jump quite so much for their larger ballrooms.  Disappointing.  :(   Makes McMins looks slightly more attractive.  If I hear of anything else, I'll pass it along.  Let us all know how your search goes?  Good Luck... keeping my fingers crossed tight for you.
  • edited December 2011
    I found my venue.. !! For those that are looking for a good price place.. I picked the Columbia Edgewater Country Club...
    Its $1050 to rent for ceremony and reception and a 3k min F&B.. But they are SUPER flexible with everything.. !!!!!!!!!! Its looking VERY nice and extremely accomodating. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    this may sound like a dumb question but what is McMennis (sp), not from Oregon so not familiar with this term
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    McMenamin's is a chain of local restaurants.  Many of them are converted old buildings; for instance, Kennedy School is in an old elementary school, The Bagdad is a theatre, St Francis (in Bend) was a Catholic parish.  A lot of the properties also have hotel rooms, conference/banquet rooms, and some have theatres/pools/etc.
  • edited December 2011

We booked the hawthorne room at Mountain Park Recreational Center. The ballroom is very beautiful. The rates are very reasonable. They do not have in house catering.  www.mountainparkhoa.com

However, a friend of ours got married at Adrianna Hill Grand Ballroom.I was told their rates are reasonable also. http://www.adriannaballroom.com/

Good Luck

Ruta, Aloha Oregon

• edited December 2011
    Ainsworth house in Oregon city was pretty reasonable!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks you guys. I found my venue, but I know that another bride will LOVE this thread. I know its the exact type of thread I was looking for. Thanks for everyones help. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards