Chit Chat

the fifth level of hell...

2»

Re: the fifth level of hell...

• I feel your pain. Last Tuesday I spent 2 hours at the SS office and an hour at the DMV. Goodbye day off! But my drivers license came on Thursday and new SS card Saturday, so I'm officially Mrs. HisLastName! So much crap to change still...
  • I think I was at the SS office for 3 hours - the line was backed up outside the office for a good hour before I even got into the waiting area.

Crazy thing - I got my SS card and my new passport and passport card BEFORE I got my new state ID. Way to take the longest, MN. And I applied for the new ID weeks before the other ones.

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • I'm totally dreading this. 

I thought I could just go there with the marriage certificate, but you need a certified copy that they then keep. So now I have to go to town hall before I can go to SS. So annoying! 
  • Colorado for some reason likes to spread the fun to two days. You apparently can't go to the Drivers License office the same day you go to Social Security and state law now dictates you have to go to SS first before changing your DL. I was told at SS I could go to the DL office the following day because the info from SS uploads at midnight. Oh, excuse me, there I thought the internet was fast, uploads can occur with the click of button! I guess not for government agencies. Thanks, CO, I enjoyed all the fun over the course of two days off instead of just one! :-/
  • Colorado for some reason likes to spread the fun to two days. You apparently can't go to the Drivers License office the same day you go to Social Security and state law now dictates you have to go to SS first before changing your DL. I was told at SS I could go to the DL office the following day because the info from SS uploads at midnight. Oh, excuse me, there I thought the internet was fast, uploads can occur with the click of button! I guess not for government agencies. Thanks, CO, I enjoyed all the fun over the course of two days off instead of just one! :-/

MI said the same thing that they'd be updated overnight, but I could take a printed receipt to get my license changed the same day.

MI said the same thing that they'd be updated overnight, but I could take a printed receipt to get my license changed the same day.

SIB*****************

It must be really nice - people in MI can apparently still read, on paper even! 

I'm sure there's some electronic whatnot happening at the DL office here that they automatically import from the SS upload. But I just can see why looking at a piece of paper and checking a box on the computer at the DL office is that big a deal.

How badly must we inconvenience people who don't have weekdays off? Sometimes I envy 9-5'ers. In instances like these not so much. What a PITA this type of stuff must be for most people! 

I'm just really looking forward to the expensive part - changing my passport and credit cards.....
  • Apparently they don't care for documentation in MA. When I went to DMV she said have you gone to SS yet? I said yes, about two hours ago. She said Ok cool here's your new license. I didn't have to show the marriage certificate or the SS paper. They also never asked for ID when we applied for the marriage license lol. But yes, I joked that people of Walmart have nothing on people of Social Security haha

• Oh lord.  I finally got to the SS office last week.  Once I got there it was fine, but it took me TWO MONTHS to just physically get there because they have the most asinine hours.  Twelve to three on some days, nine to twelve on others, oh, we're just not open this day.  The office was about 30 minutes away from work, so I couldn't just run over my normal lunch.  I kept asking my supervisor for a long lunch on a slow day and she kept making up some bullshit excuse.  Finally I told her she could give me a long lunch, or I just wouldn't come in the next day and take care of it then.

I got my long lunch and of course, once I got to the office, it only took about 10 minutes.  I had about an hour left over and wasn't about to let that go to waste, so I surprised H at work and we got lunch.  

Anniversary

• OMG! I have off work Friday to take care of all that stuff. I'm freaking out now because I can't find my correct birth certificate, which might mean a trip to my hometown 1.5 hours away. I was on hold 30 minutes today (hung up) with the SSN office to CONFIRM if they could take my hospital certificate, as they claim they do on their instructions, because I actually have that. Furthermore, I was advised to take a full day because some friends waited FOUR HOURS- without coffee.....

• OMG! I have off work Friday to take care of all that stuff. I'm freaking out now because I can't find my correct birth certificate, which might mean a trip to my hometown 1.5 hours away.
    I was on hold 30 minutes today (hung up) with the SSN office to CONFIRM if they could take my hospital certificate, as they claim they do on their instructions, because I actually have that. Furthermore, I was advised to take a full day because some friends waited FOUR HOURS- without coffee.....

Social Security didn't even have me show ID. The website says they need 1 proof of age and 1 proof of identity; drivers license or passport can count as both.

• OMG! I have off work Friday to take care of all that stuff. I'm freaking out now because I can't find my correct birth certificate, which might mean a trip to my hometown 1.5 hours away. I was on hold 30 minutes today (hung up) with the SSN office to CONFIRM if they could take my hospital certificate, as they claim they do on their instructions, because I actually have that. Furthermore, I was advised to take a full day because some friends waited FOUR HOURS- without coffee.....
    Social Security didn't even have me show ID. The website says they need 1 proof of age and 1 proof of identity; drivers license or passport can count as both.
    Bless you :)  

• I just gave SS office the form I filled out online and had printed (SS-5) and my marriage license- they didn't ask me for anything else, although I had my passport just in case. At the DMV, they didn't ask me about SS at all, just the marriage license and my old drivers license.
  • jenna8984 said:
    Apparently they don't care for documentation in MA. When I went to DMV she said have you gone to SS yet? I said yes, about two hours ago. She said Ok cool here's your new license. I didn't have to show the marriage certificate or the SS paper. They also never asked for ID when we applied for the marriage license lol. But yes, I joked that people of Walmart have nothing on people of Social Security haha
    We didn't have to show ID either when we got our marriage license.

However, the DMV was a bitch when I was transferring my CT license to MA. They needed like 4 separate forms of ID? 

I didn't change my name.

• lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2014
    Social Security took maybe 15 minutes. 

DMV when I renewed my license took forever. I get my paperwork, fill it out, turn it in, sit forever, get to the front and they tell me that I have to take xyz alcohol awareness test.  So they give me a drivers manual and I have 15 minutes to study before they close the machines.  Well, I get four questions wrong.  One more than I can.  And they say I can't take it again until tomorrow.  Well congrats, DMV people, your stupid test put an unlicensed driver on the road!!!  Brilliant job there, real smart. The reason I don't know how many shots it takes to put you over the BAC level is because I DON'T DRINK!!  I'd literally had maybe two glasses of wine in my life at that point.

The odd thing is, they said I had to take the test because my birthday was after xyz grandfather date. But I'd gotten a license once before and never had to take it!

I was so mad.  I wanted to kill some people.  It's the closest I've ever come to flipping out on someone.

I really ought to email them with my comments and see what they say.
  • My DH is still trying to get his name changed. He finished the paper work but he has to meet with a judge for approval.
  • OP, are you seriously complaining about waiting in line to change your name?! Be thankful you live in a country where you have the freedom to choose what your name can be. Wow.
  • OP, are you seriously complaining about waiting in line to change your name?! Be thankful you live in a country where you have the freedom to choose what your name can be. Wow.
    You're seriously complaining about what I complain about on the wide-open internet? I can say whatever the fuck I want. I never claimed to have the biggest problem of anyone in the world. JFC.

You're seriously complaining about what I complain about on the wide-open internet? I can say whatever the fuck I want. I never claimed to have the biggest problem of anyone in the world. JFC.
    Of course you can say whatever you want. Just be thankful you live in a place where you can ;)
  • beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    OP, are you seriously complaining about waiting in line to change your name?! Be thankful you live in a country where you have the freedom to choose what your name can be. Wow.
    Of course you can say whatever you want. Just be thankful you live in a place where you can ;)
    Because no other problems exist in the world. Nobody else can have a god damn complaint ever. George Washington is cursing Lolo from his grave for daring to complain about something that was getting on her nerves.

You can bitch on here about other people, if you have bigger problems, perhaps you should focus on those.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Luckily for me, complaining that the bureaucrats separated me from my coffee for 3.5 hours does not negate my thankfulness for other freedoms in my life, like complaining on the internet about bureaucrats. But thanks for your concern and winky face.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards