Chit Chat

This show pisses me off: Something Borrowed. Something New.

13»

Re: This show pisses me off: Something Borrowed. Something New.

• This current crazy lady on something borrowed just put her own old wedding dress back on.

Miss Havisham much????
    Hey, if I still fit in that in 20 years, I will definitely put it on for fun.
    Lol she was watching while her daughter wore it, and trying to play up the shape of it (It could not have been a better advertisement for late 80's wedding glam) and then goes, "I looked so great in this when I wore it, well... maybe I still will!"

Then again this is a lady who is trying to make her daughter wear her super 80's dress so this is just par for the course.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• My husband hated HH. Then I found SYTTD and he pleaded that I go back to HH. when I found Fashion Police, he said Fuck It, I'm going to bed early on Friday nights. Now I miss Joan Rivers.
  • I watched an episode with my mom shortly after getting engaged. She remarked on the fact that I wore her dress as a Halloween costume when I was 16. She thinks she might have donated it but can't remember.

We agreed that I would let her know if she turned Momzilla. She never did. I love my mom.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I am obsessed with all bride TV. Fiance will meet me after work on Friday and be like "It's Bride Day!" because he knows. Yet I bought a $100 dress and am having a cheap Vegas ceremony, like as anti-bride as it's possible to be. I just like watching spoiled princesses and their moms freak out.

I feel pretty convinced that Something Borrowed Something New is one of the best/worst ones because the moms are even more nuts than on SYTTD Atlanta.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No future kid of mine would be wearing my dress.  That's MY wedding dress.  Go get your own.  

I did try on my Mom's old wedding dress though, a few months before we got married.  My cousin did too, since my aunt wore the same dress (Granny was very thrifty.  She told my Aunt that there was a perfectly good dress that had only been worn once so she could wear it too).  It barely fit around the wrists and neck.  Long sleeves, high neck with some pearl button detail.  Mom had her head piece too, which was this delicate wreath like thing with some pearls.  For the mid-70's, I think it was pretty,  

• Seriously, I don't even know why they do that. Yes, yes sentimental blablabla. If your dress doesn't look good on me I ain't wearing it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @amelisha you are awesome! I also love to watch just to see and judge how ugly and expensive the dresses they chose are, I don't watch it because I love dresses lol 

• Yes, house hunters is completely fake. They have to be at least under contract on their house before filming.

In spite of knowing how fake most reality is, I didn't know this and it may take me a minute to accept this! lol

As for SBSN... I can't figure out: what do they do with the borrowed dress if the bride doesn't choose it? Does it go on the racks in attempt to sell it to someone else? Do they still pay for the altered dress and just put it back in mom's closet?

• Yes, house hunters is completely fake. They have to be at least under contract on their house before filming.

In spite of knowing how fake most reality is, I didn't know this and it may take me a minute to accept this! lol

As for SBSN... I can't figure out: what do they do with the borrowed dress if the bride doesn't choose it? Does it go on the racks in attempt to sell it to someone else? Do they still pay for the altered dress and just put it back in mom's closet?

I've wondered this too. It's not the same dress so I'm not sure I (as mom) would want to keep it. Just weird.
  • And I just remembered this- I saw the one where Kelly (the seamstress) was the bride to be and even she picked something new instead of something borrowed (which was her FMILs and not her mom's.)
  • I like to watch Survivor and Big Brother, don't hate too much, and they are big recruiters of aspiring actors/models as much as they try to hide that fact. Yeah they bring on some "true fans" but most are there for eye candy. They definitely want the drama as well. It does make for some fun watching though. 

It makes you wonder if the producers tell the contestant to dump all the rice on the fire? If that is the case, that is some messed up interference.
  • beethery said:

Was one of the requirements that you are contractually obligated to say "We love to entertain" at least 5 times?

ROFL I loathe those people!!!!! Hahaha

• My mom and her three sisters got into the top 100 for amazing race. Does that count for something?
  • My mom and her three sisters got into the top 100 for amazing race. Does that count for something?
    That is so cool! I would love to be on that show. I know you don't really get to see very much of the countries that you are in, but some of the places and some of the experiences are amazing. Also, you never know, they may get a surprise call some day. It happens.
  • This show bothers me too, obviously for the reasons mentioned above. Mothers have no business guilt-tripping their daughters into wearing their dresses. I mean, it's not like said dress belonged to grandma also and they wore their own mothers' dresses and this is some big family tradition that needs to be preserved. 

On the other hand, I've seen a few episodes where it was pretty much where the mother thought it was a nice idea, and would like it, but wasn't forceful. And they end up cutting up what (even though it wouldn't be stylish by today's standards) is for all intents and purposes a family heirloom, for no good reason when the bride chooses the new dress. That breaks my heart too. I don't like seeing something that was part of a memorable family occasion being cut up for only the possibility or being used. I guess because, I have to say, I don't think any of the remade dresses look good, or are particularly well made. She has good ideas but can't carry them out imo.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • This is one of the reasons I'm not hanging onto my dress. I'll save my hairpiece in hopes my daughter/daughter-in-law might incorporate it into her wedding day attire, but I'd never guilt her into wearing it --- or a dress that has long since gone out of style. 
  • I watched one episode and I was too annoyed to ever watch it again. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards