Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Braces vs. Wedding Date

We just got engaged (yay!), and we've been trying to come up with a wedding date.

We'd like a one-year engagement, but I just got braces in the spring, and they won't be off until early 2017. I really don't want to wait more than two years to get married, but on the other hand, waiting would mean my braces would be off, and we'd have more money saved up.

Our relatives and friends have been asking us about a date, but we haven't been able to provide one yet.

Is it crazy to have our wedding date set so far away, or do you think people will understand I want my braces off?

Does it make me shallow to want them off? The top are clear, so they wouldn't really show in pictures, but they'd be obvious in close-ups. Plus, the wire is metal, so even though the brackets don't show much, the wire does.

Thoughts?

Re: Braces vs. Wedding Date

• No, it's not crazy to wait 2 years. Lots of people have long engagements, including me. I would want them off, too, so I don't think it's shallow of you. Or even if it is technically shallow, it's certainly understandable.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I would probably feel the same way. Though if you think they aren't overly noticeable in person, perhaps you can talk to a couple photographers to see if they'd be able to make them unnoticeable in close up photos?

But if your FI is cool with postponing and you are as well, that's completely your decision. Long engagements for a variety of reasons aren't uncommon. 
  • I would have a long talk about this with your FI. Talk about the pros and cons and don't forget to think about feels right. The braces may not be noticable. Do you have rubber bands? Could you try clear ones?

I got engaged November 2013 and will be getting married January 2016. I really didn't want to wait so long at first, but now my FI and I are very relieved. We were able to save up and really plan the wedding together with absolutely no pressure. And we got our pick of the best vendors, including a popular photographer who books out over a year in advance. So yes, it does stink sometimes to wait, but if the braces being off are very important to you, it will be worth it in the end.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Echoing PPs, nothing wrong with a long engagement. I'm halfway through my 2 year engagement and this past year and flown by so fast. I am guessing this remaining year is going to fly even quicker. It's nice to have time to plan without being stressed, and save money.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Is it possible have them off temporarily? I'm sure there's a cost involved but not sure what it would be.
  • Is it possible have them off temporarily? I'm sure there's a cost involved but not sure what it would be.
    Having had braces, there is no way I would have been willing to get them put back on after they were taken off. Both installation and removal are lengthy, uncomfortable procedures. Eff that.
  • I'm sure some people would call it shallow, but I would feel the same way!  My mom got braces as an adult, and even though they were clear, she still spent most of that time with her mouth closed because they made her self conscious. 

Other people have pointed out the many benefits to a long engagement.  You will have a lot of time to save up, and you can have your pick of venues and vendors.  One of my vendors even gave me a discount for booking early (I was just over a year out from the wedding date).

• I wouldn't want to have braces either.  The primary pro about waiting is that you will be able to save more money which will lead to less financial stress/pressure.  And really 2 years is not that long.  It may seem that way now but it really isn't.

• You said the uppers aren't noticeable, just the wires. Talk to your dentist to see if you can have the wire removed for a few days for your wedding & what is the max time they would feel comfortable with you not having the wire. You may need to plan your honeymoon then around it so you can get the wire put back on before you leave.
  • Only you can decide what's right for you. It's not unreasonable to want the braces off or to wait two years. It's also not unthinkable to get married with them on. If you'll be more comfortable - money-wise and self confidence-wise - then wait. Your engagement doesn't have an expiration date. If there are other reasons you want to be married sooner, you'll be just as beautiful with your braces on. 

• I definitely understand wanting to have your braces off. However, having had braces myself- they never come off when the orthodontists says they will. I lot of people end up wearing them for a few months longer than anticipated. It would be difficult to predict when they will be off and set a date so far into the future.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • bekt14 said:
    I definitely understand wanting to have your braces off. However, having had braces myself- they never come off when the orthodontists says they will. I lot of people end up wearing them for a few months longer than anticipated. It would be difficult to predict when they will be off and set a date so far into the future.
    I was lucky and they came off 2 months early (should have been 4 months early but they worked so well they got overcorrected and had to fix that part).   It is completley up to you when you want to set your wedding date, talk to you FI and see what both of you agree on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jenijoykjenijoyk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2014
    I'd talk to your orthodontist and just see what they think. My mom had braces and was freaking out about having them at my wedding. She let her ortho know the second I got engaged about the issue and they worked it out somehow and she got them off a few months early. Maybe there is some option to switch to a retainer for a year, or replace your braces with invisalign halfway through the process. You never know if you don't ask.
  • Also, I'm 100% certain your ortho has been asked the same question before.
  • I got my braces off just a year ago - I totally understand your concern! I hated mine and the way they made me look (I already look way younger than I am without them), but it all depends what is most important to you! If you're willing to wait the couple years until you can get them off, that's a lot more time to plan and save money. Those are both very important things. I'm sure you will still look absolutely beautiful with braces on your wedding day if you choose to have it earlier!
  • I got engaged in December of 2013 and got braces in March 2014.  I am getting them off in two weeks, but my hygienist told me that if for some reason I still had them on by April (my wedding is 4/18/15)  that we could take them off for the weekend and put them right back on.
  • I actually got Invisalign after we got engaged. I won't be done before the wedding, but since I can take them in and out, I will probably just leave them out during the ceremony/reception. They are pretty expensive though so I don't know if switching between regular braces and Invisalign would be worth it. 

I do know someone that had their braces taken off for the wedding and then put back on. It's worth talking to your orthodontist and seeing what your options are. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards