Wedding Etiquette Forum

Invitations: Wording for Unmarried Couple w/ Children

I have a cousin(female). She and her partner(male) have a daughter and live together. Most of the wordings I see for addressing invitations have for a married couple and children, and for an unmarried couple living together.
Can someone give me a hint?
I just want to make sure I am doing it correctly

Re: Invitations: Wording for Unmarried Couple w/ Children

• Ms. Cousin + Mr. Cousin's Partner
    Daughter
    Address

If you are not inviting the daughter, just address it as Ms. Cousin + Mr. Cousin's Partner...I'm not sure on the EXACT etiquette on this one, but that is how i would do it.
    Daughter
    Address

If you are not inviting the daughter, just address it as Ms. Cousin + Mr. Cousin's Partner...I'm not sure on the EXACT etiquette on this one, but that is how i would do it.
    Please don't use a :+" sign. Unmarried couples are on separate line.

Ms. Jane Doe
    Mr. Jon Smith
    Miss Ava Doe

• This is how we handled it for  BF & GF who lived together & he had two kids from a prior relationship. We put the kids in order by age

John Smith and Jane Jones

Robert Smith and Susie Smith

Daughter
    Address

Ms. Jane Doe
    Mr. Jon Smith
    Miss Ava Doe
    This is correct.

They are not connected by the "and" (or any symbol indicating same) because they are not married. Unmarried couples living together have their names listed on separate lines. Then the kid is listed on her own line as well.
    *********************************************************************************

• edited October 2014
    We are an unmarried couple with children together and have been addressed by
    Mr. John doe and Mrs. Jane Smith
    Kid 1 and Kid 2
    and I don't mind one bit.
    I would be perfectly fine with separate lines too. We also have received invites that address me as his last name (Mr. and Mrs Jon Doe or a variation) and this irritates the SHIT out of me. I will gladly take his name when we marry but for fucks sake take the time to figure my last name out before marrying us off on an envelope! OK sorry that was a mini rant but don't give her his last name unless she took it when they got married!

ETA poor grammar due to wine and football! :P
  • Huskypuppy has it!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    Daughter
    Address

Ms. Jane Doe
    Mr. Jon Smith
    Miss Ava Doe
    This is correct.

They are not connected by the "and" (or any symbol indicating same) because they are not married. Unmarried couples living together have their names listed on separate lines. Then the kid is listed on her own line as well.
    I don't see a huge etiquette breach of the unmarried couple who lives together to be written on the same line.  If they didn't live together, then I think separate lines should be used.

As for the "+"  I was just expressing that as an "and"  I didn't realize that this was going to be taken literally.  No don't use an actual plus sign.
  • This is correct.

I don't see a huge etiquette breach of the unmarried couple who lives together to be written on the same line.  If they didn't live together, then I think separate lines should be used.

As for the "+"  I was just expressing that as an "and"  I didn't realize that this was going to be taken literally.  No don't use an actual plus sign.
    Crane's is pretty solid in the invitation etiquette department. Here's the link to their guidance on this CLICKY.

Personally, it wouldn't bother me, but I don't make the etiquette rules. 
    *********************************************************************************

• FI's moms aren't married. They only recently got the legal right to get married in our state. They say their planning on doing it but aren't sure when. Either way I'm going to list them as Dr. Jane Smith and Ms. Sarah Jones all on one line.

I don't really see the point of separate lines. FI and I get stuff all the time with HisName and MyName on the same line. Wedding invites, Christmas cards, basically anything addressed to the both of us. And we only recently moved in together.
    Daughter
    Address

Ms. Jane Doe
    Mr. Jon Smith
    Miss Ava Doe
    This is correct.

Another nod of approval for this advice.

We settled on using Crane's and this is exactly how we would have arranged the names.
  • I'm running into the same thing and I can't find how to properly word names for this case:

My friend is unmarried with 2 children and living with her boyfriend and his 1 child.  They do not have children together.

Ms. Jane Doe

Mr. John Smith

Child, Child, Child

???? Help

• asuwish18 said:

I'm running into the same thing and I can't find how to properly word names for this case:

My friend is unmarried with 2 children and living with her boyfriend and his 1 child.  They do not have children together.

Ms. Jane Doe

Mr. John Smith

Child, Child, Child

???? Help

Technically, it's 

Ms. Jane Smith
    Mr. John Doe
    Kid 1
    Kid 2
    Kid 3.

If you're having an inner envelope in addition to your outer envelope, you can just write the parents' names on the outer and then the above on the inner.

• asuwish18 said:

I'm running into the same thing and I can't find how to properly word names for this case:

Ms. Jane Doe

Mr. John Smith

Child, Child, Child

???? Help

Technically, it's 

Ms. Jane Smith
    Mr. John Doe
    Kid 1
    Kid 2
    Kid 3.

If you're having an inner envelope in addition to your outer envelope, you can just write the parents' names on the outer and then the above on the inner.
    I'm a bit confused by this as well because Crane lists the kids all on one line. Or is that only applicable for the inner envelope and if you have a single envelope you list all the kids on separate lines? If you list them on separate lines do you include full names and titles (Miss for girls and Mr. for boys)? 
  • Miss Manners on addressing couples:

Miss Manners has heard it bandied about that those whom she will delicately call couple-couples--married or otherwise romantically linked--should have their names joined with an "and," while others go on separate lines.

Nonsense. Etiquette does not go poking around to see what people are up to in the privacy of their homes. A household is a household as far as the mail is concerned.

I should note that she omits "and" in all cases, married or not, except for the specific case of "Mr. and Mrs.", so she agrees with Crane on addressing unmarried couples.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards