Chit Chat
Options

Trying to find my purpose

Every since I was young I always wanted to give back to the community. Without social programs, I probably wouldn't be here, today.  When I was around 9 years old, my mom, my sisters and me became homeless. We lived in a city mission for almost a year. I remember it feeling like a hotel and the fanciest place I have ever lived. I remember the choices for cereal and that I was allowed to have more than one bowl.  I remember feeling full, and not going to bed hungry for the first time in a long time.  I remember only having one garbage bag of clothes when we got there, for all 5 of us.  We got all "new" clothes at the second hand clothes closet. It never felt like the stigma of not having a home, thanks to the people working there and my mother, it always felt like an adventure.
   During election season, I always get so disheartened by people claiming that everyone on welfare is a bunch of blood suckers on the system. There are some people who abuse the system, and then there are others who couldn't imagine that they would ever be in that situation, and are really motivated people that fell on hard times. I always found myself cursing those politicians out, but never did anything about it.
  This year, I am putting my life into action. I used to always say I want to do this or I want to do that.  Now, I am getting my butt in gear and doing what I always wanted to do.  I am volunteering at the city mission with my niece, and it feels so good to do for others what has been done for me. I have no idea what took me so long to do it, but I am glad I am no longer making excuses and trying to be the good I saw in others when I was young.  I am even happier that my niece wants to join me! I know it will be hard to see others in that situation without the naivety of childhood, but it's well past time I paid my good fortune back.

Re: Trying to find my purpose

• Options
    That is wonderful that you are doing this, and I love that your niece wants to help, too.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Do you want us to clap for you?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    That's wonderful!!! I'm so impressed that you're following through on something you are so passionate about and has had such an affect on you personally. I'm sure it will be such a rewarding experience for you and your niece!

I totally agree with what you said about politicians casting those on assistance as vultures or blood suckers. It makes me SO.MAD. I'm so happy that your mom was able to get you guys back on your feet, with the help of social programming!
    imageimage">
  • Options
    I'm glad that you have found a great way to give back! It's nice to be involved with something you are so passionate about, and in your case, sharing it with your niece! 

I am making some changes in the direction of my life this next year. Not anything with quite the impact of what you are doing, but I've learned a lot from my recent journey, as you have during yours. 

• Options
    No, larry, no clap, just embarrassed that it took me so long to try and do something that, for once, didn't revolve around me.
  • Options
    That is awesome that you're doing that!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    Also, good for you, Muffin. 
    That was what I was going to say originally, before my brain went into shock.

• Options
    edited October 2014
  • Options

I work two jobs and am not on food stamps. I have no problem with hard working people who need the help of the assistance. However, it is often times abused. Governmental assistance should be used to help people get back onto their feet, not as a lifestyle. I am sorry that I have offended some people.

So you're saying sorry you're not sorry. And implying you are better than those who need assistance. Charming.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I work two jobs and am not on food stamps. I have no problem with hard working people who need the help of the assistance. However, it is often times abused. Governmental assistance should be used to help people get back onto their feet, not as a lifestyle. I am sorry that I have offended some people.
    You should be more sorry for spewing ignorant garbage out of your mouth for everyone else to have the misfortune to read. Learn something.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    larrygaga said:

You should be more sorry for spewing ignorant garbage out of your mouth for everyone else to have the misfortune to read. Learn something.
    Yeah that's worst nonapology ever. @futuremrsk I'm sorry I just had to read that bullshit. I'm sorry you have bought into hateful ignorant stereotypes. I'm sorry you are so goddamn superior you can't feel empathy for people. I'm sorry you feel the need to judge those who are most in need of compassion.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Poverty is a lifestyle? Hell, who knew? 

There's a reason it's called Temporary Assistance. The maximum allowable benefit is two years, during which participants attend job search and education activities about 40 hours per week. 
    The majority of recipients receive benefits for only a few months.

It is actually rarely abused. That's another myth. The requirements are strict, compliance enforced, and very few people are willing to risk breaking federal laws for that little money. Try walking into a government agency and defrauding them, in whatever way you imagine people are. 

If the waste of government money on food and medical assistance for children pisses you off, maybe you shouldn't look too hard at where the other 98 cents of your tax dollar goes. 

You could go to the Federal Government websites and look up the facts, but it sounds like you get your information from Facebook memes. 
  • Options
    I don't think that we need to do away with food stamps, but what futuremrs said isn't completely unheard of. I've been in line behind people buying groceries with their food stamp card and then paying cash for an equal amount of booze. Not my money not my business, but if you can afford the booze out of your own pocket I don't see how your food needs to be paid for.

My best example is FIs ex who obviously proves the ones who do abuse it probably have bigger issues. She got 500 a month when FSS and his sister loved with her. FI and I were constantly bringing over groceries for a few months until we were finally able to take the kids because tere was meet any good at home. Mom would blow the 500 on soda, chips, cookies, pop tarts, and apple juice, yeast, and brown sugar. Since food stamps won't pay for booze she would make cider (FI actually was doing that for years just because and it's quite yummy, and she used it as her loophole).

I know for every few people like this there are tons who genuinely need and are grateful for the help. The program should be left alone, I'm just playing devils advocate and pointing out futuremrs isn't necessarily some heartless jackass trying to starve children.
  • Options
    Wait a minute, Muffin I just saw your new avatar! Do you have something to tell us?!?

• Options
    hahaha... no. went on to see the crazy bump thread and they turned me into a prego avatar. NOT COOL!
  • Options
    Yes, there are those who will abuse any assistance programs.

However, that's all that makes the news. Naughty cheaters, kill the programs.....

I am incredibly spoiled. We always had money. I could do all the fun things I wanted. I had clean water and healthy, yummy food. Had plenty of clean clothes. Had soft, warm blankets and a roof over my head.

I work retail. I like it. I used to work in a grocery store. For every one cheater wanting a hand out, at least 30 who needed a hand up came through my line. Nearly all had children. I refuse to damn a highly vulnerable portion of society because a few adults are cheats.

Florida drug tests/tested unemployment applicants. The headlines ran versions of *clutch my pearls* 2% were found to use drugs *faint in horrified shock* Which was true. But very much bull shit. Because national average of drug use was 7-9% then. So, rather than naughty cheaters, it was actually that unemployment reduced illegal drug use.

Furthermore - "luxury meats" for me are cheaper. I can make a roast into 6-7 meals. A pound of hamburger is one meal. My roast costs $10. Hamburger is $3 per pound - which becomes $18-21 for the same time I'm enjoying my luxury roast.

Now add in - parent or parents are working multiple part time jobs. Can't afford to fix the stove and doesn't really have time to prepare meals. Cheap, easy junk becomes the only option.

If anyone can't recognize how damn spoiled they are to have clean water and enough healthy food to thrive, march your butt to your nearest shelter or soup kitchen and volunteer for a month. Being honestly and sincerely thanked for serving a bowl of soup is eye opening to say the least.

To OP - I think it's wonderful that you are teaching your niece humanity and kindness for all.
  • Options

hahaha... no. went on to see the crazy bump thread and they turned me into a prego avatar. NOT COOL!

Oh shit! Not cool at all!

• Options
    larrygaga said:
    Your attitude is really repulsive. You have NO idea what that person buying food with food stamps is feeling. That person that bought crab legs? Maybe that was the first time they splurged on something like that in years. The fact is - YOU DON'T KNOW anything about what could be going on in this person's like. 

@furturemrsk515 you should read this
  • Options
    Oh and Muffin - good on your for giving back. That's really awesome of you!
  • Options
    larrygaga said:
    Your attitude is really repulsive. You have NO idea what that person buying food with food stamps is feeling. That person that bought crab legs? Maybe that was the first time they splurged on something like that in years. The fact is - YOU DON'T KNOW anything about what could be going on in this person's like. 

@furturemrsk515 you should read this
    I can see it coming now: "I work two jobs, I wouldn't let this happen."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards