Wedding Etiquette Forum

NWR - gift dilemma

Today is DH's best friend's birthday and we are invited to a small party at his house. He wants to buy him a gift card to a restaurant. Or just a visa one.
I think that's very impersonal and I want to put more thought into a present.
My top ideas were a bottle of Jack Daniels, a wallet, and that's as far as I get. He is gay, so I am even more confused when I think of what kind of wallet he will want more or how can I help my husband make this one a special one?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: NWR - gift dilemma

• Agree with huskypuppy - especially about gay not having anything to do with it.  But I also propose a compromise.  Get a smaller bottle of liquor and tie gift card to it or put the gift card in a wallet. 

I understanding wanting to give a thing - but I also think your husband knows his friend's taste best.
    Anniversary

• "Husbands best friend"

Husband's. Not yours. You get no say leave it alone.
  • I take my best friend out to dinner every year for her birthday. We like it and we get to catch up. Obviously OP you must think that's a terrible gift.

Most of my other friends just get cards.

• I agree with PPs, that your husband should decide the gift since it is for his friend. 
    Regarding the wallet statement, I wouldn't make kind of general statements like that like gay people all wear hipster/different stuff or what have you.  I love you butterscotchjbeans, but maybe a statement like "his particular style is more _______ so I am not sure" would come across better in the future.  
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    1.  I know lots of hipster heteros and unfashionable gays.  Try focusing on the individual person's style instead of your perceived stereotypes of what their sexual preference might dictate.

2.  If you don't know the person well enough to feel confident that you can pick out a gift in their "style", then you shouldn't be giving them that gift.  Or just save his friend the time and drive the gift over directly to Goodwill for him.  There is nothing wrong with a gift card - at least it's something he'll likely use.  (Also, unless he's 16, he probably owns a wallet or he doesn't like wallets and doesn't use one on purpose.  It's unlikely that it's just never occurred to him to get one and he's just been waiting on someone to give him the perfect hipster gay wallet.)

3.  Not your friend.  Butt out.

• I don't think you needed to mention he was gay at all. Hipster, fine. The gay part wasn't relevant.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Today is DH's best friend's birthday and we are invited to a small party at his house. He wants to buy him a gift card to a restaurant. Or just a visa one.
    I think that's very impersonal and I want to put more thought into a present.
    My top ideas were a bottle of Jack Daniels, a wallet, and that's as far as I get. He is gay, so I am even more confused when I think of what kind of wallet he will want more or how can I help my husband make this one a special one?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I'm not sure why you made any of this your business.

And I'm not even going to touch your incredibly offensive "he's gay!" statement.
    Anniversary

• @huskypuppy14‌ I think dinner and catching up is amazing , my friend and I do it too. But this is a party. I think taking the host out for dinner would be rude.
    Obviously, you wouldn't do it the day of the party. It would be for another time.  I don't know why that would be rude.

• slothiegalslothiegal member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    @doeydo‌ you are right. I should have said he is more of an eccentric, hipster kinda guy who happens to also be homosexual. So I was lost. Therefore decided to do the liquor bottle with the gift card holder. @mileybangerz‌ I didn't say he was a drag queen. Although if he was I would have totally bought him that pink purse. @larrygaga‌ yea girl. That was what I was trying to say but came out sounding wrong, and for other people they just tried to look for the wrong in this post.
    Ugh.  Also offensive.  Girl, you try buying Miss Bianca del Rio a pink purse and tell me how well she takes it.

Anniversary

• Im more curious why OP is even here and posting when she asked to have her account deleted a month ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards