Chit Chat

How did you meet?

Re: How did you meet?

• We were in a choir together. Seriously.

I started dating a guy (not FI) in the bass section three weeks after I auditioned, dated that guy for almost four years, and eventually my fiance and I got to be friends. When I met him he was just this skinny blond kid with dorky clothes and it was years before I really thought of him as an actual man. He claims he was into me from day one, although I think he just says it to be nice.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We met at our college's homecoming event. It was the first and only one either of us ever went to. Coincidentally, our wedding date is our six year meeting anniversary! We only learned that after we'd committed to the date with our venue. It was an awesome surprise.
  • OKCupid. He was a few days away from deleting his profile when I messaged him. I still remember that somewhere in his reply, he said, "As a feminist who loves Ocarina of Time, you're a rare breed." I was pretty sold at that point.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • EHarmony. He was matched with me in the first week, and almost didn't talk to me because I lived 200 miles away.  Our first contact was when he sent me the lamest message ever: "Hey, I see you're reading a book about engineering (it was part of the Engineer trilogy--really not what he thought it was).  That's cool because I'm an engineer."  That's it. I was still in my be-nice-to-everyone-who-communicates-with-me stage, so I answered back with something a little more forth-coming to try and get the conversation ball rolling, and the rest is history.  He was the wittiest, funniest guy, and I found myself excited every time I got a new message from him.  We're both on the shy-side, so we chatted for 5 months before meeting in person for breakfast at IHOP (classy, I know).  He made me laugh so hard I almost choked to death on my Eggs Benedict.  It was a great bonding experience.  We've been together ever since.
  • Tinder fucked up, basically. 

I had just gotten done with a very short, very stupid relationship (my first in several years) and wasn't really all that into the idea of dating again. One of my friends (who shares the same first name as my now-FI!) started telling me about Tinder, and despite my vehement protest re: dating again, he just WOULD NOT STOP. So I downloaded it, swiped through a few pictures, swiped "yes" on a couple interesting ones (FI included, obviously) and then pretty much just said "meh, whatev" and moved on with my day. 

I had my location settings on a 25 mile radius, so FI shouldn't have even showed up, as he's like 95 miles away. But he did. And he checked out the app on the recommendation on one of his friends, although he was in the later stages of his divorce and just starting to date again, so also not really looking for a serious relationship. 

We started talking, went on our first date a few days later, and after that we've been as inseparable as we can for having a 2 hour drive between us. 
  • My girl friend and I were both sick of being single and said we'd fix each other up. She said what do you like? I said- beard, tattoos, employed. She said BINGO I know the perfect man! She gave us each others' phone numbers and that was it. We got to texting and met up on our own and she was right. First time meeting, he came to my apartment and we just watched a movie on the couch and talked. 
    She actually met her FI in a bar the next week so I never had to hold up my end of the fix up bargain. 

• We met on Match. He winked at me right after I started working a second job around the holidays because I was bored. I didn't see the wink for two weeks because I was so busy working. After I read his profile, I almost didn't respond because someone that amazing was surely taken by then.

We got lucky that he even saw me because I was outside the distance parameter he set up in his search. I found out later that I was the only person he ever winked at or contacted on Match. He says he knew I was the one for him as soon as he read my profile. I knew I was going to marry him after our second date.
  • So many ladies met their SO on dating websites! I think there's more dating websites than "met in person".

image   image   image

• So many ladies met their SO on dating websites! I think there's more dating websites than "met in person".
    I know! It seems strange to me because not one of my married friends IRL met them online. 

• jenna8984 said:
    So many ladies met their SO on dating websites! I think there's more dating websites than "met in person".
    I know! It seems strange to me because not one of my married friends IRL met them online. 
    I'm the only one of my friends that has done online dating. I wasn't happy with the type of guys I was meeting. A friend of a friend had just gotten engaged to a guy she met online and suggested I give it a try. Online dating is really looked down on where I grew up so I;m not surprised no one I know has done it.

Anniversary
  • We met at a bar. We were both drunk, danced like idiots for 2 hours, exchanged numbers and the rest was history. Originally I told my family we were introduced by a mutual friend because I was afraid my family wouldn't take the relationship seriously.

• We're kinda trashy: Craig's List.

I was doing eHarmony and had yet another hideous date. I came home, drank a bottle of wine, and posted an ad. I had to work my way through about 100 responses (lots of dick pics and douchebags) but ended up going on a handful of dates.

Our first date was mediocre at best but he wrote such sweet emails that I agreed to a second. We ended up chatting so much that we ended up having an impromptu second date before our previously-scheduled second date. I don't remember this but apparently I told my sister that I was going go marry him after our 4th or 5th date. I ended up living there within 2 months, though I kept my apartment around for several months. We were engaged 6 months later.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • German meetup. Wir sprechen beide Deutsch.
  • Roller Derby.  I wasn't playing that match, but I was hawking beer.  DH was there with a co-worker to watch (co-workers wife was skating), checked out my hot pants and asked about me.  CW's wife decided to set us up.  We turned out not too bad considering I stood him up on the first date.  

• We worked for the same department in college, but did not have much interaction other than general staff meetings (we were in different buildings). I was engaged to someone else, he was in a serious relationship with someone else (plus, I thought he was a total douchebag). It was over a year later, but we were both single and very drunk when we thought it would be funny if we started "dating" because it would confuse the fuck out of our friends. Turns out, we were both too stubborn to quit each other.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• College party hosted by some of his fraternity brothers drunk off my ass...ended up getting overly excited when I learned he was in our college's marching band...after that we started hanging out and it took a month for me to say yes to him asking me out.
    We told our families it was through mutual friends. Still the truth but not really.
  • We met on a vacation with mutual friends in Greece. I don't know if it was the atmosphere, sunsets or way too much ouzo, but just 6 months later we were looking for apartments!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kasmith1 said:

DH was friends with my ex-BF's roommate. He would come over to BF's house to fix their computers. After about four years of being in the same friend group, DH kissed me by the keg at a St. Paddy's day party, I was still dating BF. I ended things with BF rather quickly after that and DH and I started dating.

ETA: When people ask DH how we met he says: She was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar, when I met you, I picked you out, I shook you up and turned you around, turned you into someone new. Only one person has picked up that those are lyrics to a song.
    That song was on our wedding playlist FYI.

So me and you are kinda almost married to each other.

Or something.
  • raissyraisraissyrais member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited November 2014
    We met in my second semester, first year of University Residence in Montreal. How the universe works well; he came from England and I all the way from Mauritius. I was engaged at the time to some useless human being but as soon as I saw FI, I knew I had to have him.

So I proceeded with the flirting (invited him to come study for Jazz club in my dorm room duh!) and eventually after breaking up with my ex, FI and I became official. Been over 8 years :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We met at work. He was my supervisor and was recently divorced, I was single and new to town. I was attracted to him, but tried not to be because he reminded me of my ex (very tall with dark hair...apparently I have a type). 

We started hanging out as friends and the attraction grew. He ended up telling his boss that he couldn't continue training me because he wanted to pursue a relationship. So I was assigned to another trainer and we started spending every day together. Moved in 3 months later and have been inseparable ever since. He's the first person I never felt the need to have time away from.

Engaged 21 months later and we'll be getting married a year to the day we got engaged :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @loro929 That's so awesome! I flew to Greece alone (my Greek friend was already there) and the girl on the plane next to me was flying alone to meet her internet love for the first time. She was from DC and he was from LA and they decided instead of meeting in one of our cities, let's meet somewhere crazy! I took her email address and facebook because I was like "I need to know what happens!!" They ended up dating/ in love for about 2 years but it didn't work out in the end. 

• In college. We almost didn't date because he was a month out of a two-year relationship and his ex started dating his roommate a week later (they are now married and we are now friends as that was 9 years ago). He was a little shattered. I on the other hand was enjoying the novelty of having multiple guys interested in me (had almost no friends in high school and dated only one guy there and that out of pity on my part) and was not really thinking commitment.

But we were both auditioning for a play and in walking back up the hill to the dorms afterward got to talking. The topic turned to Lord of the Rings and we wound up in my room for three hours or so just continuing the conversation. By the next night of auditions I was assistant stage manager and he sat beside me after auditioning and was slowly sloooowly trying to hold my hand so I just gave up waiting and grabbed his hand.

Things progressed a bit in the following weeks, though when he attempted to ask me to the winter dance I actually turned him down initially. So it took me until November (11th, actually, our 'dating-versary' is coming up) to wise up to the fact that he was a way better choice than any of my other options at the time. The first spring together was pretty bumpy since that was when he really grieved for his previous relationship, but I don't regret picking him up on the rebound.
  • Online in Pogo Games.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • FI and I were trying to get tickets to see Obama speak and happened to be standing next to each other in this gigantic line in the middle of a field (there's a shopping center there now, but at the time there was nothing). We hit it off and I was sure he was going to ask for my number. I'd come from work so I was wearing my name tag, so he asked about what I did and such. Then when we were like, 10 people left, the volunteers announced that there were no more tickets. I was miffed because, you know, they probably knew how many tickets they had and didn't bother to count the people in line and tell us where the cutoff was. I asked the volunteers if they had any bumper stickers because I was supposed to get one for a donation I made and hadn't, and they said no. I turned to FI and he said, "Well, that sucks. Bye!"

The next day, I was on my way out of my office to go to lunch, and when I opened the door, he was there with an Obama bumper sticker and asked for my number. Turns out after he left the day before he was kicking himself for not asking for my number. He happened to have a bumper sticker and looked up my office number in the school directory. I guess he texted a bunch of friends and relatives to make sure his plan was not creepy, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards