Nevada-Las Vegas

Need some opinions please

Usually you lock down your date at a venue and then send out invites, but seems a bit confusing with a destination situation. I don't want to get a big or medium size venue if not that many people show up and it looks like no one is there, but then I don't want to get a small space or be in a certain space and we have a lot of people. Did most people just decide this is what I want and that is that...did you just tell people Vegas and then send info packets later while you figured it all out? Seems like it would be easier if you just knew the amount of people...sigh

Re: Need some opinions please

• We picked Vegas and the date long before the venue, so we sent save the dates at almost a year out.  Over the following few months, we got a rough idea amongst friends and families who would definitely be attending.  It was a high enough percentage that I decided to not take chances and we got a venue capable of handling 100% of our invitees, but, what I planned to do is adjust the food and drink options based on how many people were going to end up being there.  For example, if we only had 70% attendance, then instead of a choice of bison, fish or chicken, I was going to swap out fish for lobster, upgrade the apps and desert, etc.  We ended up having five out of 125 rsvp no so they got the original menu lol.

You'd be surprised how many people end up coming, even ones you don't expect; we had a great aunt in her late 80's come cross country.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• @vegasgroom Thanks, I didn't even think about that. Getting more because of less people. I honestly LOVE Vegas and wouldn't see why no one would want to go lol, but sometimes you never know. So then you picked out the places and then sent the invites?
  • We decided on Vegas then started talking to people and got a rough estimate of who we thought would go.  The ONLY thing we booked before we got invitations was ceremony location.  I'm getting married in December and we still haven't squared away the reception dinner, but hopefully that will be done any day.  Our invitation only had the ceremony place listed as "Aria Resort" and asked guests to join us for merriment following.  We figured everything else out after we started getting some rsvp's and ideas of who would come. 
  • @aggiespartan thanks, because of course that is the part I wonder the most is the reception..that is where all the money ends up going. Thank you for that. I hope you get your reception stuff figured out soon. 
  • It's so tough with certain venues as you are paying x amount for x amount of people. For example, my venue, I can only have 28 ppl tops (including us), and I had to pay $17pp more after 20 ppl (which is nothing compared to other places). We are sending out our STD's shortly because I need to get an idea of who will come and who might not come...we are mostly inviting his family, but I'm planning on 100% showing up, so we invited 26 exactly.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @vegasbride2015 I love your Nene gif lol. Yea that isn't too bad. There are so many options though that it becomes confusing on what is the best thing to do where you are going to have fun and not spend a lot, but then we are like we are only doing this once so lets do it right. I have my heart kind of set on Lake Las Vegas, but eveything over there is pricey especially with the more people you have. So looking at other options, but not knowing how many people might come makes things a pain.
  • Part of it may also depend what month you're planning on getting married.   We didn't have any problems with any vendors being booked when we called, and we planned everything in about 5 months.  I have heard you have to act faster for peak months.
  • @aggiespartan I originally wanted August, but it is going to be way too hot. Although this past Aug wasn't as hot as it usually is. So now I am trying to decide between Sept. and Oct. 
  • With a spot like Lake Las Vegas you will have to worry about transportation too.  Don't forget to add that to your list.
  • Yea unless people stay at the hotels there or we rent a house. It isn't a long drive thankfully. I have def started looking into that too as well
  • Best of luck, keep us posted! I was actually considering renting a house out as well, there are a lot on VRBO/Homeaway. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will check those sites out. My FI thinks renting out a big house and doing everything there is the way to go, but part of me is like, then why Vegas? We knew we were doing a destination wedding, it was between Vegas and Vieques (with the wedding planner from the TLC show)
  • I didn't say the reception space or meet & greet info. I just gave a high level (Friday 3-6pm Meet & Greet) so that I didn't have to worry too much. However, I did put Quad on my invites (we had this booked) and then I moved everything to Platinum. Oh well! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will check those sites out. My FI thinks renting out a big house and doing everything there is the way to go, but part of me is like, then why Vegas? We knew we were doing a destination wedding, it was between Vegas and Vieques (with the wedding planner from the TLC show)
    I agree with that. I feel like if you're going to have a destination wedding in Vegas and you're not having part of it on the Strip, why did you choose Vegas? Not just for your sake but your guests' sakes too. If they have to travel and spend a bunch of money it'd be nice if they could have the usual Vegas experience if they'd like to do so.

I don't have a lot of other advice because I'm keeping mine small, simple, and all-Strip, but I just wanted to mention that I would be SO BUMMED if I was invited to a Vegas wedding and I wasn't spending my time on the Strip.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • amelisha said:
    I will check those sites out. My FI thinks renting out a big house and doing everything there is the way to go, but part of me is like, then why Vegas? We knew we were doing a destination wedding, it was between Vegas and Vieques (with the wedding planner from the TLC show)
    I agree with that. I feel like if you're going to have a destination wedding in Vegas and you're not having part of it on the Strip, why did you choose Vegas? Not just for your sake but your guests' sakes too. If they have to travel and spend a bunch of money it'd be nice if they could have the usual Vegas experience if they'd like to do so.

I don't have a lot of other advice because I'm keeping mine small, simple, and all-Strip, but I just wanted to mention that I would be SO BUMMED if I was invited to a Vegas wedding and I wasn't spending my time on the Strip.
    This is why we went with staying on the Strip instead of a house.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with the two posts above.  If you want to do it all yourselves that way in one location, find a big suite in your budget and do everything in it.  That way your guests won't have to worry about traveling back to their hotels and you'll get the strip experience.  
  • @vegasgroom Thanks, I didn't even think about that. Getting more because of less people. I honestly LOVE Vegas and wouldn't see why no one would want to go lol, but sometimes you never know. So then you picked out the places and then sent the invites?
    Yeah we did our scouting trip before STD's but we chose a venue several months later.  We had already booked photog at a year out though since they get booked early. 

I am not a fan of a house rental in Vegas either; you can rent a house anywhere. :-)

• I am glad I am not the only who feels this way. I thought maybe I was being a little divaish with that one. I could see maybe a reception in a backyard, but not everything. No sense in going to Vegas if that is the case. I guess his other thought was, people are spending money to get there a house will can hold a good amount of them.

I personally have been to Vegas more times then I would prob admit lol and I ALWAYS go off the strip because there is a lot to do off of it as well. On that same note I balance it with being on the strip as well. Especially with all the new things popping up all the time. There is always a new experience with different people. 
  • Is this going to be your honeymoon location too? We've never been to Vegas, so we're going to do our vacation/wedding/honeymoon all in one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @vegasgroom I didn't realize how fast the photographers get booked till I started reading everyones post, which have been so helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if people were getting that booked first before a venue honestly. 

• I am glad I am not the only who feels this way. I thought maybe I was being a little divaish with that one. I could see maybe a reception in a backyard, but not everything. No sense in going to Vegas if that is the case. I guess his other thought was, people are spending money to get there a house will can hold a good amount of them.

I personally have been to Vegas more times then I would prob admit lol and I ALWAYS go off the strip because there is a lot to do off of it as well. On that same note I balance it with being on the strip as well. Especially with all the new things popping up all the time. There is always a new experience with different people. 
    We love all of our guests, and we are staying in the same hotel, but never in a million years would I ever want to stay in the same house as our guests during our wedding week.  You need some degree of separation there.  
  • @vegasbride2015 we had the same dilemma when we thought about doing it in Vieques (an island off PR) I wasn't feeling the beach with a wedding dress. Over looking the beach kool, but on it no. My mom was like well people go to the islands usually for a beach wedding. Vegas was my first choice anyway lol
  • @vegasbride2015 No I have a bit of a Vegas theory in that if done correctly 1 day in Vegas is equivalent to 3 and spending more than 3/4 days there is too much. I have told people this in the past and they didn't believe me till they got there and was over it. Especially if you are just on the strip.

I recently went and had a Vegas Virgin and a Vegas Vet and I took them to do on and off the strip stuff and even the Vegas Vet said I had them do things he would have never thought of or had ever done. Renting a car and going off the strip helps. So I def don't want to do a honeymoon there. I have to figure that part out..I also don't want to do Cali because I used to live there..maybe Mexico...
  • nyhollydaynyhollyday member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited November 2014
    @aggiespartan I think it could be too much too, but we shall see what happens lol
  • @vegasbride2015 No I have a bit of a Vegas theory in that if done correctly 1 day in Vegas is equivalent to 3 and spending more than 3/4 days there is too much. I have told people this in the past and they didn't believe me till they got there and was over it. Especially if you are just on the strip.

I recently went and had a Vegas Virgin and a Vegas Vet and I took them to do on and off the strip stuff and even the Vegas Vet said I had them do things he would have never thought of or had ever done. Renting a car and going off the strip helps. So I def don't want to do a honeymoon there. I have to figure that part out..I also don't want to do Cali because I used to live there..maybe Mexico...
    No doubt! I can totally understand that one. How exciting though - a honeymoon in Mexico maybe? Never been. The thought of warm sun in October (I live in WA state) is an awesome thought.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @vegasbride2015 I have only been to Cancun...it was amazing. Plus all inclusive has great perks. I have always wanted to go to Cabo and that is on the west side of Mexico so something to think about. Where are you going for yours? 
  • @nyhollyday we're just using Vegas as our all-in-one, since we have never been. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Does anyone have any info on the Palms suites, Rio suties, or Brooklyn Bowl? From what I seen on youtube the Fantasy suties and the Rio have some huge rooms and I went into Brooklyn Bowl it was nice, just when I went in I wasn't looking at it in a reception point of view..especially since I didn't see all the areas they have
  • @vegasbride2015 if you need any suggestions or ideas I got tons of them or you can check my site www.hollydayz.com

I love Vegas, if you never been then that is def a good time to be had.

I try to limit vegas trips to four nights.  I'm like Leaving Las Vegas when I go, well minus the drugs and hookers, but I drink and gamble for about 22 hours/day and I'm too old to take more than a few days of that now lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards